IGNORED

Say Yes To Tesco

Rich

If you live near to the area and think its needs a new superstore vote yes, If you do not, you shouldn't really be voting IMO

How near are you allowed to be? Are we talking in the same council ward, constituency, or just nearer to the site of the proposed new tesco than any alternative tesco? I think people who work near enough to go there during a standard lunch break should be allowed to vote as well.

If you live near to the area and think its needs a new superstore vote yes, If you do not, you shouldn't really be voting IMO
Tbh I would use it every home game to buy some beer/cider before the game because they are cheap, I wouldn't normally go to sainsburys nor asda because of the location. I always stop off in Tesco to buy my pre match drinks as it's on route so for me it would only be taking my custom from one Tesco to another one purely because of location and price. So as I would use it 23+ times a season I think I should be able to voice my support for it.

Quite right.

One point of this petition is to show that those opposed to the development will openly gain their support from as wide an area as possible, as shown by people from as far away as bath and south gloucestershire registering their opposition.

I think many are Rovers fans, so we need to counter them.

E petitions are likely to be used by anyone opposed to Tesco wherever they may be.

It is interesting to see on the E petition against Tesco that there is not one vote from a resident of Ashton but many from southville, Beminster and windmill hill, possibly because of their political beliefs.

E petitions are likely to be used by anyone opposed to Tesco wherever they may be.

That's a good point - people who don't live in the area are far less likely to vote "yes" on political grounds (because there aren't really any political grounds for voting "yes", wheras there are plenty of political arguments for voting "no"). It would be interesting to have a vote purely for local people.

That's a good point - people who don't live in the area are far less likely to vote "yes" on political grounds (because there aren't really any political grounds for voting "yes", wheras there are plenty of political arguments for voting "no"). It would be interesting to have a vote purely for local people.

This won't happen, as usual the more motivated people will suddenly become the voice of the majority and push their campain without being truely being representative of their community.

In reality it could be argued that only six hundred people have signed the paper petition in Ashton, leaving many thousands who might not visit the shops unable or unaware to register their vote either way.

It is interesting to see on the E petition against Tesco that there is not one vote from a resident of Ashton but many from southville, Beminster and windmill hill, possibly because of their political beliefs.

If you live in Bristol you should know that the e-petition site automatically puts your ward as your location based on your postcode, so anybody that lives in Ashton would come up as Bedminster, whilst those that live in Ashton Gate will come up as Southville. My father-in-law lives in Ashton Gate with his rear garden backing onto the ground but he shows up on e-petitions as Southville, likewise my uncle lives in Ashton Drive but shows up as Bedminster. I live in Hartcliffe but I would show up as Whitchurch Park if I signed.

I'm in two minds about Tesco taking over the Ashton Gate site.

On one hand, as a bedminster resident, I really don't see the need for another supermarket on top of Asda, Sainsburys, Lidls, Aldi and the 2 Tesco Metro's I already have within walking distance of my house. I worry that this will seriously affect the North Street area in the ways mentioned already... (local businesses etc).

But, on the other hand, I really want to see the new stadium go ahead and I believe Tesco are our best hope for this happening.

I just wish there was another option!

Hate Tesco - don't care what it means for the new Stadium - they are some kind of shopping "Sky" trying to take over everything - would never support a Tesco Bid for anything whatever came out of it :disapointed2se:

Likewise. Sadly, though, not many see it the same way - a lot of City supporters have said on here that they would support the Tesco plan out of loyalty to the Club, even though it's not the best thing for the area. There must be a better way.

Likewise. Sadly, though, not many see it the same way - a lot of City supporters have said on here that they would support the Tesco plan out of loyalty to the Club, even though it's not the best thing for the area. There must be a better way.

Hating Tesco isn't a reason not to allow it to be built but it seems the main pillar of the "no to Tesco" argument.

If you don't like Tesco then you don't have to shop there. 95% of my shopping is done on North Street and while I support the development I will continue to shop there.

Hating Tesco isn't a reason not to allow it to be built but it seems the main pillar of the "no to Tesco" argument.

There are many elements to the anti-Tesco argument, which have been explained and discussed here and elsewhere. The campaign would not get very far if it simply said "Tesco is bad". And, on the other side of the coin, nor does it make any sense to say "Tesco is good because it helps City get a new stadium".

There are many elements to the anti-Tesco argument, which have been explained and discussed here and elsewhere. The campaign would not get very far if it simply said "Tesco is bad". And, on the other side of the coin, nor does it make any sense to say "Tesco is good because it helps City get a new stadium".

1. The onus is on Berate to proove negative impact on local area - otherwise there is no reason why BCFC shouldn't sell to who they please.

2. I think the fact that it's Tesco is a huge motivation for most people. If it was a huge independent farmer's market with same traffic volumes, plans etc. the Berate group wouldn't exist.

3. The main argument seems to be impact on traders - well as we've said a million times before those people who currently shop on North St do so despite supermarket options so this will not change their habits. A boy walks into a shop and has the option of Orange Juice or Cola. He knows he doesn't like Cola so always buys Orange Juice. If the store begins to stock Pepsi too will he suddenly change his tastes and habits? Of course not.

4. The secondary argument is traffic and congestion - yet the site has two major roads into Bristol close by, copes absolutely fine with Sainsbury's (I've never seen a queue into that or congestion caused by it) and has coped will with up to 20,000 football fans regularly for well over 100 years. Whatever goes there will cause congestion - a huge developments of flats would probably cause more with rush-hours seeing huge movement of resisdents.

I have not seen any of these points countered by BERATE or any evidence given why this site is particularly bad for Tesco to build on. While I accept that some people will jump on one side to be anti-Tesco some will jump on the other to be pro-BCFC but to compare the two I think the benefits of the Ashton Vale project and 2018 to Bedminster, Ashton and Bristol far outweigh the fun of taking a swipe at Tesco. Cutting off the nose to spite the face.

All i hope is that the NIBYS dont win the day and the Bristol City council look at the bigger picture with the benifits Tesco will bring employment boost a dying economy around the Ashton area ect ect .

Come on you lot get voting say yes to Tesco

If you live in Bristol you should know that the e-petition site automatically puts your ward as your location based on your postcode, so anybody that lives in Ashton would come up as Bedminster, whilst those that live in Ashton Gate will come up as Southville. My father-in-law lives in Ashton Gate with his rear garden backing onto the ground but he shows up on e-petitions as Southville, likewise my uncle lives in Ashton Drive but shows up as Bedminster. I live in Hartcliffe but I would show up as Whitchurch Park if I signed.

Thanks, I found this out today and think it's rather strange but at the same time understandable knowing how the powers that be work.

1. The onus is on Berate to proove negative impact on local area - otherwise there is no reason why BCFC shouldn't sell to who they please.

2. I think the fact that it's Tesco is a huge motivation for most people. If it was a huge independent farmer's market with same traffic volumes, plans etc. the Berate group wouldn't exist.

3. The main argument seems to be impact on traders - well as we've said a million times before those people who currently shop on North St do so despite supermarket options so this will not change their habits. A boy walks into a shop and has the option of Orange Juice or Cola. He knows he doesn't like Cola so always buys Orange Juice. If the store begins to stock Pepsi too will he suddenly change his tastes and habits? Of course not.

4. The secondary argument is traffic and congestion - yet the site has two major roads into Bristol close by, copes absolutely fine with Sainsbury's (I've never seen a queue into that or congestion caused by it) and has coped will with up to 20,000 football fans regularly for well over 100 years. Whatever goes there will cause congestion - a huge developments of flats would probably cause more with rush-hours seeing huge movement of resisdents.

I have not seen any of these points countered by BERATE or any evidence given why this site is particularly bad for Tesco to build on. While I accept that some people will jump on one side to be anti-Tesco some will jump on the other to be pro-BCFC but to compare the two I think the benefits of the Ashton Vale project and 2018 to Bedminster, Ashton and Bristol far outweigh the fun of taking a swipe at Tesco. Cutting off the nose to spite the face.

1. Actually, I think the onus will be on Tesco (or whoever else buys the site) to prove that their development fits with the local plan.

2. Personally, I would object to any supermarket development. I suppose, though, that it's unlikely to be Sainsbury or Asda, given that they already have shops nearby. (And that's another point - whether people want another supermarket or not, we don't need one.) Another type of retail venture, with an emphasis on local produce (if that's what you mean) would be a bit better.

3. There will be some impact on local trade, but I agree with you, I think North St would probably survive.

4. There will inevitably be more traffic. The shop is likely to be open 24 hours, and Tesco wouldn't be planning to build it if they didn't think they would attract more business than Sainsbury's currently does. With the addition of round-the-clock delivery trucks, there's bound to be more traffic (emissions, pollution, noise etc.). The current stadium attracts a lot of people 30-ish times a season, but a lot of those walk, use public transport, or share cars. The traffic flow related to a supermarket is quite different.

To be honest, if you haven't already seen these points made by opponents of the Tesco plan, I'm surprised. They're nothing new.

Archived