IGNORED

Cult Terrace Heroes

MC Risk

If I could pick a player from the past to put in today's team, it would have to be Shaun Taylor.

He would be the on field defence manager we are crying out for. He was simply the best leader of a defence I have ever seen and had an incredible knack of never giving the ball away, even from half won headers.

Favourite all time players, Gerry Gow, Bob Taylor and Terry Cooper,

Andy cole..you could see he was class for us.. him jacki and leroy upfront class :)

Seeing him on loan from Arsenal against Sunderland at Roker Park, what a performance!!!!

Unfortunately, we were just a stepping stone, fine as long as we understand that. Not a Cult Hero because these aren't the ones that get the crowd up over a long period of time, not in it for the cause. We have plenty of these players in history, some now even......but thats a step down for them!

Steve Brooker for me, he was a gladiator for me in a difficult time (even if I cant get my dates right) and as a kid, Glyn Riley from when he got that hat-trick against Wimbledon, when we were 92nd in the league, right upto his double at Wembley and for his contribution we were able to move on.

Seeing him on loan from Arsenal against Sunderland at Roker Park, what a performance!!!!

Unfortunately, we were just a stepping stone, fine as long as we understand that. Not a Cult Hero because these aren't the ones that get the crowd up over a long period of time, not in it for the cause. We have plenty of these players in history, some now even......but thats a step down for them!

Steve Brooker for me, he was a gladiator for me in a difficult time (even if I cant get my dates right) and as a kid, Glyn Riley from when he got that hat-trick against Wimbledon, when we were 92nd in the league, right upto his double at Wembley and for his contribution we were able to move on.

Remember that Wimbledon game like yesterday, absolutely incredible.

Cult Hero's could include Jon Economou,watching his ball juggling skills @ Torquay whilst a player was down injured was entertaining, made Maradona look like a Pub Player...nearly

Also remember, in late 1990's coming across Jon Economou, had what to me what was a very important job with a computer company and I must admit speaking with an ex City player was more daunting for me than his then job (which probably paid more!)

Cult Hero's could include Jon Economou,watching his ball juggling skills @ Torquay whilst a player was down injured was entertaining, made Maradona look like a Pub Player...nearly

Also remember, in late 1990's coming across Jon Economou, had what to me what was a very important job with a computer company and I must admit speaking with an ex City player was more daunting for me than his then job (which probably paid more!)

Eco was of course my hero !

Me too, Alan Crawford scored as well I think.

Bottom of the league we may have been but a really enjoyable game ( they were few and far between in those days) and you felt the comeback had started.

I did omit in my earlier post that those boys who kept us in Division 1 at Coventry in May 1977 were all my heroes.

Especially the heroic comeback and goals by the great Gerry Gow and Donnie Gillies.

That night will be forever imprinted in my memory, something that can never be exceeded in footballing terms.

Flying Scotsman. Scotty Murray

Chris Roberts play off semi final 2nd leg 2004 springs to mind

Steve Phillips? Double penalty save vs Everton in 2004/05 season

Steve Phillips penalty save at the Mem for us also cost the Gas vital points that would have ultimatly seen them stay up instead of get relegated in 2001. Nine years of them looking up at us, long may it continue

Glynn Riley said after the game that he had been fired up because of a Football Focus feature on City at lunchtime showing how they had gone from 7th in the top flight in October 1979 to rock bottom of the 4th div exactly 3 years later in Oct 1982 (obviously).

He reckoned that the feature was more of a piss-take (my words not his) at Bristol City and he was right, they tried to do it with an "amusing" slant. And that got him so annoyed that he was so fired up for the game and played a belter!

Can you imagine that happening today!

Glynn Riley said after the game that he had been fired up because of a Football Focus feature on City at lunchtime showing how they had gone from 7th in the top flight in October 1979 to rock bottom of the 4th div exactly 3 years later in Oct 1982 (obviously).

He reckoned that the feature was more of a piss-take (my words not his) at Bristol City and he was right, they tried to do it with an "amusing" slant. And that got him so annoyed that he was so fired up for the game and played a belter!

Indeed, we were a bit of a joke in the early part of that season. Probably was his best game for City.

What's just struck me is that this match was nearly 30 years ago, scary ! 15 years before this forum even existed.

The whole reason why this guy is a Cult Hero, I remember going to School, Ashton Park, ffs and the little bit of pride this guy gave me that day.

What we know now as Plastic fans today, was them thrusting 2 sets of tables under my nose, City 6th in division 1 and City 92nd 3 years later,it was an BEP article, all because we lost to Northampton 7-1, but Glyn's performance that day dragged the club up and turned us around, and Martyn Hirst, you were shit and we were awful but thank you,nothing comes close to a winning goal that measures to the one you scored at Eastville, AND then the Manager (Terry Cooper, legend) says it cost us "Ten Grand" which meant a lot then

A lot of mine have been mentioned already but one I would add to the list is akinbiyi. Seldom seen a bloke try harder in a red shirt, would run about smashing centre half's around like they had just pissed on his kids, he was huge and as fast as they come, scored some great goals and was about the only high point of the relegation season under ward and lennartson.

Shame he was only here for a season and abit, loved watching him play.

PS, if we are talking about actual terrace heroes, like old stoney garnett, anyone remember beaner and his shuffle!?! Whatever happened to the lad?

5. John Shaw

4. Glyn Riley

3. Alan Walsh

2. Super Bob

and at number 1 ...

Has to be Andy Llewellyn. If you cut him in half he would have had Bristol City written through him. The Gas used to go on and on about their players being part of the club and Rovers through and through (Hollowhead for example) but in Llewey we had someone who could match them! A dying breed!!!!!!

Hi all

(Don't be fooled by the first post, I have been supporting city since the 70s: first game 4-1 drubbing of bolton complete with Tom Ritche hat-trick; and lurking on here for years...).

Anyway I'd say my favourite players all come from an era before the really silly money elevated the average player to super-star status (within their own minds of course).

Alan Walsh - not seen a shot like that before or since. Awesome player, just needs one more goal...

Glyn Humphries - a very limited player (remember he used to get a huge cheer if he brought the ball accross the half-way line), but what guts, sheer determination, and total commitment he had. You'd want him alongside you in the trenches. Remember seeing him in our end at Grimsby one year a while after he left us (think he was out injured).

Bob Taylor - 30+ goals in a fantastic promotion season. West Brom fans chant of 'thank you very much for Bobby Taylor' was a continual reminder that we really screwed up somewhere....

Jacki - the most skilful player I have ever seen in a City shirt. Remember if he wasn't a flawed genius we'd never have got to see him play!

I could reel off another 9 or 10 players but I'd be here all night...

cheers.

Si.

Marc Goodfellow, remember him?

`Oh he's a jolly good feloooow, and so say all of us`

Super Dele, who can forget 4000+ singing `Du du du Dele Adebola` at Reading when we won 2-0(have that coppout)

Scotty, THAT cupped ear

And Tinnion of course, that man that has no nerves taking penalties.

Archived