IGNORED

Roughest Pubs In Bristol

cockneyrobin

Think i remember a series called 'Roughest Pubs in Britain' which once featured a boozer in Hartcliffe with some lively characters.

In your experience, which pubs would you steer clear of in Bristol?

Mine would be the aptly named 'Worlds End' in St.George, went there once and seemed like all the punters wanted a 'tear up'

I know a lad was stabbed outside there a couple of years back..

Think i remember a series called 'Roughest Pubs in Britain' which once featured a boozer in Hartcliffe with some lively characters.

In your experience, which pubs would you steer clear of in Bristol?

Mine would be the aptly named 'Worlds End' in St.George, went there once and seemed like all the punters wanted a 'tear up'

I know a lad was stabbed outside there a couple of years back..

I don't know about these days but back in the 70's the aptly named Hatchet in Frogmore St was always full of bikers (greasers as they were know then) especially at the weekends. I remember loads punch ups and the pub was a real 'no go' area.

The one and only time I saw a motor cycle chain used as a weapon was outside the Hatchet.

I remember that programme and thought quite alot of it was staged managed but watchable. The Hartcliffe is like anywhere else really,if you go in and start acting up you'll rub the locals up the wrong way,so just have a few beers and knock 30+ on a dead flat alley! As Robbored said,the Hatchet was a strange one cos once the bikers left,the flat tops/psychobillies moved in during the mid 80s but its a trouble free boozer now. I can't think of any particular pub I'd stay out of due to being rough,but after a recent pub crawl I can't see myself going in the Pineapple again!

Used to live in Whorefield for a bit. The Bulldog on Filton Rd used to be very rough, but not sure what it's like these days. A lot of local pubs were also considered Rovers' pubs, so I was always a bit wary of these. I was in the Fellowship once talking to a mate about City and a couple of guys came over and asked if we were City. I said that we were and expected a confrontation. They also turned out to be City and half the pub were. Same with most pubs round there. Can't think of any pubs that have been particularly bad, except one in St. Paul's where we were chased down the street by the owner with a baseball bat. We were a little worse for wear at the time and were pissing ourselves laughing. Can't remember what is was called, but they sold cans rather than on tap!

Bristol is a very different place to drink now than in the late 70's early 80's where there seemed to be fights outside every pub around the centre every weekend.

What was the name of the bikers pub on Anchor Rd? I seem to remember they had a bit of a policeman's ear that had been bitten off, in a jar behind the bar. That was a pub you wouldn't want to mouth off too much in.

Bristol is a very different place to drink now than in the late 70's early 80's where there seemed to be fights outside every pub around the centre every weekend.

What was the name of the bikers pub on Anchor Rd? I seem to remember they had a bit of a policeman's ear that had been bitten off, in a jar behind the bar. That was a pub you wouldn't want to mouth off too much in.

Not the Mardyke?

Used to live in Whorefield for a bit. The Bulldog on Filton Rd used to be very rough, but not sure what it's like these days. A lot of local pubs were also considered Rovers' pubs, so I was always a bit wary of these. I was in the Fellowship once talking to a mate about City and a couple of guys came over and asked if we were City. I said that we were and expected a confrontation. They also turned out to be City and half the pub were. Same with most pubs round there. Can't think of any pubs that have been particularly bad, except one in St. Paul's where we were chased down the street by the owner with a baseball bat. We were a little worse for wear at the time and were pissing ourselves laughing. Can't remember what is was called, but they sold cans rather than on tap!

Star and garter? dutty Ken? sounds a bit like Jamacian good food as well... :whistle2:

What was the one on Shirhamphton high street called? Was always getting shut down and shamshed up. Cant remember the name again, but one pub in Whitchruch used to scare the shit out of me. Never saw anything happen personally, but just the people were...just scary.

I used to hate going into the centre. would rather stay in Westbury or Clifton, maybe a jaunt down Pk St, but no further. Town just seemed to be full of meat heads in white shirts asking me if I was dogging them up. I think for every 5 trips in the centre resulted in a fight for whatever reason, has it changed?

Yeah, i remember The Wayfarer could be a little hostile.

The Anchor on Gloucester Road North (by Airbus) used to be rough as.... even on a lunchtime when I used to go in there in the 1980's - it's now called the Air Balloon, don't know what it's like now

The Enterprise on Hartcliffe Way used to be pretty bad - it was all shaven heads and tattoos in there and that was just the women laughcont.gif. Probably the only pub I wouldn't go in on my own

What was the one on Shirhamphton high street called? Was always getting shut down and shamshed up. Cant remember the name again, but one pub in Whitchruch used to scare the shit out of me. Never saw anything happen personally, but just the people were...just scary.

I used to hate going into the centre. would rather stay in Westbury or Clifton, maybe a jaunt down Pk St, but no further. Town just seemed to be full of meat heads in white shirts asking me if I was dogging them up. I think for every 5 trips in the centre resulted in a fight for whatever reason, has it changed?

The Lifeboat

What Pub in Whitchurch is that ??, (That's where i live !!!) The Harriers, Red Hart & Hartcliffe Inn are no goes (I Think the Red Hart as shut down)

I used to live by The Harriers and one New Years Eve some Scumbag beat another Bloke around the head several times with a Pool Cue, even when he was on the ground he wouldn't stop hitting him :no:

Any of the ones in southmead

Not true, just a stereotype. The Bear is hard as nails, The Treble is like afternoon tea round your granny's house.

Try the Gainsbrough in Lockleaze, The Long Cross in Lawerence Weston or The Avonmouth Hotel. The Foresters in Westbury On Trym has to shut by 8pm by order of the old bill due to copious fights over drug deals

Lots of the tasty boozers have gone, The Standard, The Wayfayer, The Henbury Inn, The Progress, The English Rose, The Masons Arms, The Penpole

Star and garter? dutty Ken? sounds a bit like Jamacian good food as well... :whistle2:

Could be either of those, but can't remember. The Star and Garter's normally a bit more laid back though, isn't it? The guy at this bar went for us with his bat, as I was searching my pockets for a note and he wasn't prepared to wait! :bruce_h4h:

What Pub in Whitchurch is that ??, (That's where i live !!!) The Harriers, Red Hart & Hartcliffe Inn are no goes (I Think the Red Hart as shut down)

I used to live by The Harriers and one New Years Eve some Scumbag beat another Bloke around the head several times with a Pool Cue, even when he was on the ground he wouldn't stop hitting him :no:

Fighting Cocks? (now a nursing home)

Not true, just a stereotype. The Bear is hard as nails, The Treble is like afternoon tea round your granny's house.

Try the Gainsbrough in Lockleaze, The Long Cross in Lawerence Weston or The Avonmouth Hotel. The Foresters in Westbury On Trym has to shut by 8pm by order of the old bill due to copious fights over drug deals

Lots of the tasty boozers have gone, The Standard, The Wayfayer, The Henbury Inn, The Progress, The English Rose, The Masons Arms, The Penpole

Rubbish, any pub is "hard" if you go in with attitude. The Bear is like any other in Bristol, go in for a pint behave yourself and you will be made welcome, pop in on Saturday I will prove it :laughcont: .

And by the way The Wayfayer is in Brentry, but as any thing relating to trouble in and around the area the media call it Southmead :bruce_h4h: .

Rubbish, any pub is "hard" if you go in with attitude. The Bear is like any other in Bristol, go in for a pint behave yourself and you will be made welcome, pop in on Saturday I will prove it :laughcont: .

And by the way The Wayfayer is in Brentry, but as any thing relating to trouble in and around the area the media call it Southmead :bruce_h4h: .

Maybe when it was the Welcome, a long time ago.

As for the Waf, Brentry my ass!!. The only boozer in Brentry closed recently

Maybe when it was the Welcome, a long time ago.

As for the Waf, Brentry my ass!!. The only boozer in Brentry closed recently

Join me for a pint up the Bear then and we can argue the boundary system.......If thats the case the Bear is in Westbury on Trym and half of Southmead is in Filton/Henleaze/Lockleaze/Monks Park/Westbury on Trym etc etc :laughcont:

The Treble can also be classed when suits as Westbury on trym not Southmead :me?: .

Like I say go any pub looking for trouble and youll get it :boxing: , go in any pub have a quiet drink and youll be left alone . Southmead is a area that gets bad press but is actually no worse than any other area in Bristol.

If you turn left along north street (coming from city ground) before Aldi, you then make another left.

There is a pub down there that isn't very welcoming! I was late for a Birmingham night match a few seasons ago ant the only nearish parking spot I found was down this road. Some guy come out and offered a fight with me for no reason.

Seemed a lovely place! But I cannot remember the name of it, something like 'wrong turn' ironically!

If you turn left along north street (coming from city ground) before Aldi, you then make another left.

There is a pub down there that isn't very welcoming! I was late for a Birmingham night match a few seasons ago ant the only nearish parking spot I found was down this road. Some guy come out and offered a fight with me for no reason.

Seemed a lovely place! But I cannot remember the name of it, something like 'wrong turn' ironically!

If I'm following your directions properly it sounds like the Try Again.

Just noticed your 'clue' - definitely the Try Again!yes.gif

I have actually been in most of the "dodgy" pubs in Bristol over the years!

"Highlights":

Pegasis - Southmead

Asked what part of the mead I was from before landlord served me, people sniffing lines at 12pm on a lunchtime in the toilets.

The Lamb - Cadbury Heath

Threatened by some nasty locals that unless I lost at pool id find the cue around my head

Cabba Club - Easton

You have to pay a "tax" to get in from a local yardie youth gang who have nothing to do with the club but make you cough up on entry! Then unless you have the correct money for a can of red stripe you dont get any change!

Bell - East Street Bedminster

Wasnt always rough but towards the end before it got shut down was a haven for westers, whole place went up regularly

Baccy Jar - Whitchurch

Rough as, but BCFC flags behind the bar!

Bulldog - Horfield

Nasty locals wanting to pick a fight on sunday lunchtime

Flowerpot - Kingswood

Full of nasty chavs itching for a fight

Britannia - Patchway

Glad its closed

:handbags:

The Lamb - Cadbury Heath

Threatened by some nasty locals that unless I lost at pool id find the cue around my head

Flowerpot - Kingswood

Full of nasty chavs itching for a fight

The Lamb! Forgot about that place. I don't think it's too bad now, lots of sniff about but that's standard these days. As for the Florwer Pot, I think that must have been a one off, it's not actually that much of a rough pub, there's certainly far worse places in the Wood.

The Lamb! Forgot about that place. I don't think it's too bad now, lots of sniff about but that's standard these days. As for the Florwer Pot, I think that must have been a one off, it's not actually that much of a rough pub, there's certainly far worse places in the Wood.

The Essex, Lord Rodney(now shut)(is that still Kingswood?)The Bell, The Archers(now shut), Chasers.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Lebeq, Queens Head, or the Plough(all Easton)

Agree with a previous poster - The Worlds End - once visited - never returned (also the Mechanics Arms just up a bit is a tad strange)

Archived