IGNORED

Owen Coyle Advocates City To Mcinnes

Rudolf Hucker

Wow - OC seems to rate us highly ... but does anyone have a clue what a "bounce game" is?

Del will be perfect match

By JOHN SHIELDS

Published: Today

OWEN COYLE has insisted Bristol City will be getting the ideal boss if they swoop for Derek McInnes.

The St Johnstone gaffer was interviewed yesterday by the Championship strugglers.

Bolton boss Coyle, who made his name at McDiarmid Park before leaving for Burnley, claims close pal McInnes would relish the challenge if he's offered the Ashton Gate post.

With a new £30million stadium in the pipeline Coyle reckons Bristol and McInnes are simply made for each other.

Coyle said: "Bristol City is a massive club.

"The catchment area is vast and they have enormous potential.

"They are not in a good place right now, but addressing that will be the new manager's priority.

"But everything is in place for them to go on to become a Premier League club, no doubt about that.

"They have plans for a new stadium next season and it is a marvellous opportunity for whoever they go for.

"Make no mistake, this is a big club we are talking about.

"If they do opt for Derek they will be getting a man I know well, having taken him to Perth from Dundee United as a player coach.

"His work ethic is immense and he is a real players' manager. Heading for England would seem to be the natural progression for Derek and Bristol would be getting a great manager.

"Look at the work he has done in Perth, taking the club forward and building on foundations put in place my Sandy Stewart and myself.

"He has shown he has an eye for a player at St Johnstone and is totally focused. It's no surprise to me Bristol City are considering him for the job.

"He would be the ideal choice to take a club of that stature forward."

City owner Steve Lansdown returned from holiday to grill McInnes and will have a key say in the appointment.

After losing to Peterborough on Saturday, City head to Crystal Palace tonight bottom of the table with caretaker Steve Wigley at the helm for the last time.

City axed former boss Keith Millen after a disatrous start to the season.

Meanwhile, McInnes, who was granted permission by Saints chairman Geoff Brown to speak to the Robins, plans to return north for a bounce game as he awaits news from Bristol.

Bristol City would be a marvellous move for Derek McInnes, insists ex-St Johnstone boss Owen Coyle

Oct 18 2011

OWEN COYLE last night backed Derek McInnes as the perfect man to transform Bristol City's fortunes.

The St Johnstone boss was interviewed yesterday by the Championship's bottom club and is in a two-way fight with Mark Robins for the job.

Bolton manager Coyle, who made his name at McDiarmid Park before leaving for Burnley, insists his close pal would thrive at Ashton Gate and reckons they could soon be locking horns in the Premier League.

With a £30million new stadium in the pipeline at a club with huge potential Coyle believes Bristol City and McInnes are made for each other.

He said: "Bristol are a massive club. The catchment area is vast and they have enormous potential. Okay they're not in a good place right now but addressing that will be the new manager's priority.

"But everything is in place for them to go on to become a Premier League club. They have plans for a new stadium next season and it is a marvellous opportunity for whoever they go for.

"The job is perfect for a young and ambitious manager and if they opt for Derek they will be getting a man I know well, having taken him to Perth as player-coach.

"His work ethic is immense and he is a real players' manager.

"Heading to England would be the natural progression for Derek and Bristol would be getting a great boss.

"Look at the work he has done at Perth. He has shown an eye for a player at St Johnstone and it's no surprise Bristol are considering him for the job. He would take the club forward."

McInnes, who was granted permission by chairman Geoff Brown to speak to the Robins, plans to return north for a closed-doors game today as he awaits news from down south.

One City player who'd love to see him on board is ex-Aberdeen and Hearts star Jamie McAllister.

The full-back reckons McInnes can lead the Championship strugglers up to the top flight and said: "This would be a great move for Derek and a fantastic appointment by the club.

"I spoke to Paul Hartley and Allan Preston about McInnes and they could not speak of him highly enough.

"Bristol City are a massive club with huge potential and I would love the chance to work with him.

"We reached the play-offs in 2008 but lost to Hull. With McInnes at the helm we could hopefully go one better and reach the Premier league

I'm sure they would have asked Coyle and others about him anyway. Unlike the Coppell and Millen appointments we seem to be doing this one the right and professional way.

I quite agree - whatever the decision it can't be doubted that time and effort has been put into making it...

...which begs the question why more time and effort wasn't put into replacing Steve Coppell...Millen's appointment set the club back.

Good luck to whoever emerges...and let's hope it's McInnes.

city.gif

Archived