IGNORED

Daily Mail

Redcliffe 78

Good article but wide of the mark when describing us a rugby city. I think Bristol simply is not a sporting city, full stop.

Success breeds support and the fact is neither Bristol football clubs have had never won a major cup or spent a serious amount of time in the top division.

Rugby is a factor, no doubt. Bath and Gloucester within a few miles and now Exeter just over an hours drive from Bristol

A feature on the Bristol clubs.

http://tinyurl.com/7pteqqp

Thanks for posting the link to that article, I enjoyed reading it. The point about Bristol being a rugby city is - almost - a valid one. In the West, Bath is definately a rugby city as is Gloucester and Bristol is not far behind. What the article doesn't mention is the fact that more people - as a proportion of Bristol's population and more than any other English city - actually play football on a Saturday afternoon. For that reason our support is always going to be lower than it could be.

Especially when you think that Bristol City Rugby FC currently seems to be even less successful as both of their football teams... :innocent06:

The first Bristol team that I saw win a Championship game at home this season was Bristol Rugby in late October. I went along to the Friday evening game Bristol v London Welsh. Over 6,000 in attendance - more than the Gas get? - we were losing after a minute and all seemed lost then we won in the last minutes of injury time right at the very last !!!!! A brilliant game of rugby for Championship level - better than anything you'll see from Bath and Gloucester rugby clubs. :winner_third_h4h:

The success rubbed off because one week later we got our first home win against Burnley. Is it any wonder that our home attendances have been crap when it took us until November to win a home game ?????!!!!!!!

I don't buy this rugby twoddle!

When I frequent local pubs, are they talking about "egg chasing"? No, It's City and Rovers, (more often than not Arsenal, Manure and Liverpool) No one seems interested in the rugby. Does anyone know who they've got today (indeed are they playing).

It's a game for fat boys with not enough skill to play a proper game!

Complete bollocks!

Excellent reply. Indeed, writing as a Bristolian, Bristol is obsessed with sport. Go in any pub or workplace in Bristol and listen to Bristolians - not councillors that have been parachuted in that are ruining sport in the city - and you'll hear conversations about football, rugby, horse racing, cricket etc.

Bristol is most definitely a sporting city. A sporting supporting city, not so, hardcore supporters are relatively small for both city rovers and bristol rugby. In terms of playing sport, has to be be one of the biggest in the country endless football, rugby and cricket teams in the area

Bristol is a sporting City, you only need to look at the massive amatuer set ups in football, rugby and cricket that we have here!

The major problem for the thee clubs here (BCFC, BRFC, and Bristol Rugby) is that its a floating sporting city. There is plenty of affection for sport in general, and most people you speak with will express a loose allegeance to City or Rovers, but you just dont have the hardcore mentality and passionate support that you get in Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Tyneside etc....

Why? Simple. Lack of success, and not enough investment or interest from the local council into promoting our football clubs.

and not enough investment or interest from the local council into promoting our football clubs.

Indeed, at the end of the Daily Mail article was the comment below. Bristol City Council always has had a "can't do" attitude - especially to local sport. Well written Jeff Byrne of Clevedon.........

"Village" mentality sums it up. The Council has had a "can't do" attitude for years and people take their cue from that. Best example is all the wasted opportunities down the years to install a rapid transit system on all the old railway lines.

- Jeff Byrne, Clevedon, 07/1/2012 11:01

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2083404/Footballs-lost-city-But-Bristol-clubs-hit-glory-trail-again.html#ixzz1im0C78TY

I've been misquoted slightly. I never said bewildered, I said we were consistently inconsistent.

Ah well

nail on the head just got to hope enough teams at the top keep changing places so when we play them they are further up the table ,seeing as we are only motivated to play well against team at the top of the league.

What we want is more student accomodation!! ... innit??

Crap....innit.......the Studio nightclub - that was part of the Mecca leisure centre - is now student accomodation. No doubt the bomb site that was the Wedlocks Pub will be built on to provide...........student accomodation. I used to also like the Granary nightclub - is that now student accomodation as well? :rofl2br:

The bellend commentator on the sag game has just mentioned this. More of rugby city? NEVER. For me it's bollocks; simples.

There's an element of Chicken & Egg to it really. Without sustained success you won't get the bums on seats. Without the bums on

seats you won't generate the funds (organically) to invest. QED.

The bellend commentator on the sag game has just mentioned this. More of rugby city? NEVER. For me it's bollocks; simples.

There's an element of Chicken & Egg to it really. Without sustained success you won't get the bums on seats. Without the bums on

seats you won't generate the funds (organically) to invest. QED.

OK, I'll remain the only City supporter on this forum to admit to liking and watching the 'egg-chasing' at Bristol Rugby Club. :flowers:

I'm not sure what NTTDS is going to make of your new avatar image. :laughcont::rofl2br: ..........

av-2592.jpg

I'll play devil's advocate. The game between the Gas and Villa is being played at a Rugby ground. Bristol are top of the rugby Championship table. To an outsider - and considering the recent form of us and the Gas in the FA Cup and also our football league positionings - Bristol will be seen as a 'rugby city'. Until this club gets back its top flight football status then we'll be seen as - primarily - a rugby city.

Archived