IGNORED

Centre's Of Excellence Closing Due To Eppp.

Portland Bill

Yeovil Town today disbanded there Centre of excellence and released all the 140 youth players.

All because the new elite player performance plan (eppp) made it to expensive for them to run it.

The Premier league clubs have forced the eppp through and now the small clubs can't afford to run there youth schemes.

Swindon are rumoured to be packing there's in, and up to 20 other clubs COE's may be folding due to lack of money at these clubs.

Shameful, when you consider that the FA say they they want to develop the youth footballers in this country.

It,s the same the world over, prem clubs or big corporations, just protecting their own interests and sod the rest of us, tis a shame but what can small clubs do to protect themselves against this overpowerful corporation that is the prem and sky, with all the advertisers that dictate their structure, tis a hard world we live in, just look at local pubs ( look hard cos they're dissapearing rapidly )......think and make a choice cos in the end your choice will be....shop at yer local corner asda,tesco,sainsbury's, and watch the only footy on tely, man u, liverpool, chelsea,...i think we are poo poo,ed if you know what i mean, ask my big brother !!!

Swindon wont - I hope not, they've got some brilliant youngsters.

Myles!

-edit; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Storey

incase anyone cared

Yeovil's closed last night, they have had to go to cat 4, just a youth team next season,here's a report from the Yeovil website cider space.

Yeovil Town's Centre Of Excellence programme is believed to be facing cut-backs, according to another local club. The Glovers set up the scheme around the summer of 2008 with the aim of developing young footballers into first team players, but at present it's not entirely clear what direction the club are going in for next season.

An article in Saturday's Gloucestershire Echo may provide some clues, as their local side, Cheltenham Town have considered their own plans for next season. The article is uncredited, but appears to have been penned by one of the people within their CoE ranks - most likely Head of Youth Russell Milton or Centre of Excellence Manager Peter Beadle. They believe that both Swindon Town and Yeovil Town are considering downsizing their youth programmes to run with just an Under-18s side and told the paper:

"It is a difficult time for some clubs' youth set-ups and rumours are that Swindon Town and Yeovil Town are thinking of just running a youth team next season, rather than a Centre of Excellence. It would be a crying shame if we (Cheltenham Town) had to let ours go and, fingers crossed, everything is in place for it to continue next season and we are pretty much there."

The reason why football clubs are currently reconsidering their youth set-ups is the introduction of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) that was reluctantly voted in by Football League clubs on October 20th 2011, and is expected to come into force for the start of the 2012-13 season. This was a highly controversial system proposed by the Premier League aimed at introducing a fixed tariff for top flight clubs to 'poach' other clubs players without independent tribunals agreeing fees on behalf of clubs.

The changes propose a four-tier academy system, with those clubs who adopt the higher tiers having to meet certain standards in terms of the number of full time staff and operational budget, but in turn able to recoup that investment by being able to charge higher fees if their players are sold. Fees for players would be based upon the number of years they had spent in the academy. With the category of academy also affecting the fixed fee, the new rules heavily favour those clubs with financial clout - particularly Premier League sides - meaning that it has come under fire from both employees and fans of smaller clubs.

Those clubs who attain a Category One academy status will also be able to bypass the "90 minute rule", that restricts young players being taken from clubs unless the players concerned live within 90 minutes of the club wanting to take them on. This means that if the likes of Chelsea happen to spot another Michael Woods (now with Yeovil Town) within a club's academy system at the age of 9 years old, they may get him for as little as £3,000, rather than the £5 million tribunal fee they were forced to pay Leeds United (along with Tom Taiwo) at the time that Woods was 16 years old.

Looking at the other Category levels, roughly speaking Category Two is equivalent to the current Academy status, whilst Category Three fits with the current Centre of Excellence status. Category Four clubs would only be able to develop players aged 16-18 years old, with the theory being that they would pick up players released from other clubs.

At present, that means that Yeovil Town's current set-up with fit in with the new Category Three academy, but if the Gloucestershire Echo report is accurate, they are considering dropping into Category Four. So why would clubs consider downsizing when it restricts the age of players they are allowed to recruit? Peterborough United Director of Football Barry Fry predicted at the time of the launch of EPPP that he could see this happening at a lot of smaller clubs, and explains why:

"What frightens me is that a lot of clubs will pull out of having a youth system altogether. Lower league clubs will look at how much it costs to run their academy or school of excellence and think that, if the Premier League can nick their best players for a low price, what is the point of investing in it?"

Posters on the Green Room forum say that parents of current Centre of Excellence players have been called to a meeting tonight to discuss the future of the scheme. Hopefully the Gloucestershire Echo's rumours are incorrect, but it's easy to see why clubs are currently rethinking their strategies

It might sound heartless but our youth scouting system needs to be all over this skimming off the cream of the talent from these situations

The best of yeovils boys will probably be nicked by Southampton, they have a great youth scheme, but yes we would be the next logical/logistical choice for the best of them.

From what i hear, only about 8-10 Clubs in the Prem will get Cat1, 6-8 in the Champ getting Cat2, rest of the Champ and perhaps a few clubs in L1 getting Cat 3. Everyone else will not be having an Academy or COE, just an youth team.

If it all goes to plan, the very best players will end up at the top with a cascading effect of talent making its way down the leagues until players have found there level or are at a club that has the ability to develop them. The bottom 2 divisions in England will essentially be filled with what will become feeder clubs for the leagues above.

Give it 10 years of this system and i reckon we will have lost 10-20% of clubs in the lower leagues. Perhaps thats for the good of the game, who knows. but big changes are coming.

The best of yeovils boys will probably be nicked by Southampton, they have a great youth scheme, but yes we would be the next logical/logistical choice for the best of them.

Who do parents need to contact at City re getting trials for there boys? Anyone know.

I really do not see the point in having an academy anymore, anyone can poach a decent player for peanuts.

Why waste the money, pick up the Premier League drop outs, more than likely they will be kids you would have had in your acedemy in the first place.

Premier League makes me sick, it sucks out everything that is good about football.

The only time it would ever be good for us to have an academy is if we were in the prem. And with all the regs now being imposed, this is starting to look a dim and distant dream

I have to say that as harsh as the new system appears to be on the face of it, I think it will benefit the game in the long run. The most talented kids will in theory end up with the best coaching and will in theory become better players. Yes we may end up losing a talented youngster or two for a pittance, but in theory they'll be more kids coming out of category 1 academies looking for contracts at clubs like ours. I do agree that it may be the death knell of some of the very smallest clubs but I think this country probably needs to lose an entire professional division anyway

Prem greed thats all it is,

If iot was about youth devlopment then they would put a ban on signing players from abroad who are under 21, you places like Aresnal would be full of english players instead of africans french spannish dutch etc,

From a selfish point of view its a good thing for our club

I knew this would happen. After watching a special report on SSN a while back many clubs outside the PL are against it, only a few voted for it and yet it still went ahead.

Take Swansea, they are PL yet have applied CAT 3 as they don't see their academy working in the way they develop it. City have gone for CAT 1 and have backed up with CAT 2 but in my opinion may end up with CAT 3.

It's a cock up in it's purest sense and I think the PL and FA need to take a look at what they have done.

MM

I knew this would happen. After watching a special report on SSN a while back many clubs outside the PL are against it, only a few voted for it and yet it still went ahead.

Take Swansea, they are PL yet have applied CAT 3 as they don't see their academy working in the way they develop it. City have gone for CAT 1 and have backed up with CAT 2 but in my opinion may end up with CAT 3.

It's a cock up in it's purest sense and I think the PL and FA need to take a look at what they have done.

MM

I think the premier league pretty much held them to ransom.

MM

We will get a cat 2 due to our facilities and full time staff

A youth scout will come and watch and arrange with the youth club's manager about getting a trial,

Thats how it worked with my nephew I think

Thanks mate, they play there final games versus Bournemouth at Somerton this Sunday morning. So any scouts out there..........:)

Yeovil Town today disbanded there Centre of excellence and released all the 140 youth players.

All because the new elite player performance plan (eppp) made it to expensive for them to run it.

The Premier league clubs have forced the eppp through and now the small clubs can't afford to run there youth schemes.

Swindon are rumoured to be packing there's in, and up to 20 other clubs COE's may be folding due to lack of money at these clubs.

Shameful, when you consider that the FA say they they want to develop the youth footballers in this country.

Not surprised that Yeovil have done that when you consider that Gary Johnson is their Manager.

He put our youth set up back a decade.

Not surprised that Yeovil have done that when you consider that Gary Johnson is their Manager.

He put our youth set up back a decade.

exactly. its not like johnson was ever going to play any young players anyway, why waste money on it

Archived