IGNORED

England In The Prem

potbelly

If you took this england Euro squad, all 23 players, and put them in the prem next year, How would they get on?

Each club has to replace from within, i.e man city loose Hart, Milner etc, so they could in theory be weaker.

I don`t think for a minute England XI would win the prem, but where would they finish?

Real Madrid would batter England.

Maybe the English FA should pay for the England Squad players to play in Spain.

Maybe they could learn to let the ball do the work.

Maybe they would learn that they dont need to run their nuts off by half time.

Maybe they would learn how to control the ball.

Maybe they would learn how to pass the ball (even square when necessary)

Maybe they would learn that possession is everything.

Maybe they would learn that 4-4-2 isn't the be all and end all

I remember back in the 1990 World Cup we started 4-4-2, but allegedly, due to player pressure, Bobby Robson changed formation to accomodate Mark Wright (?) as a sweeper.

By God, we went close that year!!

I remember back in Euro '96 Terry Venables used his infamous "Christmas Tree" (4-3-2-1) formation. I remember we ripped the Dutch "Pass Masters" to shreds.

By God, we went close that year!!

That said, hopefully Roy Hodgson will now mould his own style, and having managed abroad, hopefully he can adapt the positives of European football with what's good in the English game, and go just that bit closer in 2014.

Find the negativity a bit surprising to be honest. We drew with Italy, World Champions in 2006 and they couldn't break us down over 2 hours of play. The game before we beat Ukraine in a must win game on their own patch, we came back from behind against Sweden (rarely do teams win from behind in Internationals), and held our own against the France team.

Our gameplan last night was clearly to invite the Italians on to us and counter when we could. Unfortunately Gerrard, Rooney and Young were all impactless which meant we needed to change tactics - which we did (Walcott, and then when he was ineffective, Carroll to be the 'big man'). Unfortunately we could not sub all three so the next best option was to bring on Carroll and hope that a different style of play would work.

Overall I think the Euro's were a success and that we went out to a team little better than what we were. They may have had more of the ball, they may have had more chances, they may have had more territory, but England (seemed to me) to be set up to allow them to do that and showed them to be pretty ineffective.

Gotta consider we are still good value for our top 10 world ranking. We should finish in a Euro spot each time, top 4 maybe.

Grr we just needed more Man U players and it would be OK, Scholes would have bossed the *** out of Pirlo, why was Rooney so shit? Caroll summed us up, F888g useless lump head on a stick, was embarrasing how we cant help but revent to playing exploding ball, or pass the parcel, GOTTA GET RID OF TEH BALL!!!1

Find the negativity a bit surprising to be honest. We drew with Italy, World Champions in 2006 and they couldn't break us down over 2 hours of play. The game before we beat Ukraine in a must win game on their own patch, we came back from behind against Sweden (rarely do teams win from behind in Internationals), and held our own against the France team.

Our gameplan last night was clearly to invite the Italians on to us and counter when we could. Unfortunately Gerrard, Rooney and Young were all impactless which meant we needed to change tactics - which we did (Walcott, and then when he was ineffective, Carroll to be the 'big man'). Unfortunately we could not sub all three so the next best option was to bring on Carroll and hope that a different style of play would work.

Overall I think the Euro's were a success and that we went out to a team little better than what we were. They may have had more of the ball, they may have had more chances, they may have had more territory, but England (seemed to me) to be set up to allow them to do that and showed them to be pretty ineffective.

I admire your positivity, but the bit highlighted above is so far from the truth. I think the phrase you meant is 'couldn't score'.

They broke us down numerous times. As for our offside trap...

My post wasn't meant to be negative.

I thought we looked good for 25 minutes, and with a bit more composure in front of goal we could've been 2 up at half time.

What my post was really about is that we don't seem to have a plan B.

The Italians moved the ball so well and with ease.

Ashley Young was awful. But hopefully he will learn from the experience; and with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott and Wellbeck, we have enough pace to frighten the greatest of defences.

It is now Roy Hodgson who has to find a system to accomadate them and Jack wilshere (when fit) and get them to play without fear.

Maybe the fear of failure brought about our ultimate failure?

Yes OK we drew but it was as one-sided a 0-0 as I've ever seen and if Ballotelli had taken his chances it could have been embarrassing. Still not a bad platform to build on and I think we may well get as far in Brazil if not maybe one step further with the likes of Wilshere, Cahill, Walker and Sturridge to come through fully

Archived