IGNORED

What's Going On?

Oops

This thread is embarrising. People ignoring the facts of the FFP rules and the plight of Pompey & Rangers who both attract bigger crowds than us. Who do people think our losses are owed to? If it was the banks then we would be in the shit.

Someone was moaning that we paid James x about a week - well isn't that investment? It's the managers fault whether signings are seen to be good or not. SL does so much for this club and I have feeling him buying "his new toy" is for the long term benefit of the football club.

Personally I would be quite happy being "a Barnsley" forever more if the alternative was a year in the prem followed by financial ruin and a fall through the leagues.

Worst post ever? Not by a long way on here but that isn't saying a lot. The OP moans that we aren't spending money left, right and centre and then goes on to moan that we are wasting money on wages and players that aren't good enough. Clearly Del has been told to get value for money (FFP etc) and so won't be doing a Steve Coppell and throwing ridiculous wages and fees at any old player that comes along.

To question SL's commitment to the club is completely disrespectful given he is funding our 12 million pound yearly debt and trying to build a new stadium to get us self sufficient.

I'll tell you why, mucker.

Don't pay a 37 year old ex-england goalkeeper 16 grand a week to drop ludicrous bollocks in his own penalty area. That was a good plan wasn't it?

Don't buy unproven Slovakian strikers for close to £1,000,000 and then find out they've got the yips.

Don't buy Nicky Hunt.

We've spent the money on shite that we should have spent on quality footballers. And its our money.

See my point?

:D

Ok, so how are you going to 100% guarantee that the next £5 million we spend won't be flops? Any of the targets that are in the category described would command around the 10k mark as it is, and after 3 or 4 signings we would be heading the way Pompey are!

Our wage bill is probably around average for this division. 3 or 4 risky expensive signings could end up being flops, leaving our wage bill one of the highest division, a path to relegation, and that means a one way ticket to going bust.

SL is being very sensible as it is, and I have every faith in him.

:D

Ok, so how are you going to 100% guarantee that the next £5 million we spend won't be flops? Any of the targets that are in the category described would command around the 10k mark as it is, and after 3 or 4 signings we would be heading the way Pompey are!

Our wage bill is probably around average for this division. 3 or 4 risky expensive signings could end up being flops, leaving our wage bill one of the highest division, a path to relegation, and that means a one way ticket to going bust.

SL is being very sensible as it is, and I have every faith in him.

no its not we have the 4th or 5th higest wage bill in the league, behind leicester West Ham and Portsmouth I think at 132% of our trunover or £11 - 12 million a year (players alone)

completely agree, ignore all the crowd followers on this site, they dont have a brain between them!

So the "crowd followers"- who understand the implications of financial fair play, understand that BCFC is a business, understand the basics of business finance ( profit and loss, turnover, revenue and capital accounts) and thereby understand that to be a viable business, let alone a viable football club, we cannot continue to run losses of £11m pa and maintain a wage bill that is 132% of it's revenue - don't have a brain between them?

Those that don't have a brain are those that believe running BCFC is pretty well the same as playing Footy Manager on PS3, where the worst that can happen is that you switch the machine off or start a new game.

They are also the ones that believe that just because Steve Lansdown is worth the best part of £1bn that he should plough every penny the manager, chief exec and chairman ask him to just because he can afford it.

They are also the ones that believe that because other clubs appear to be throwing load of money at transfer targets, that we should be doing the same notwithstandding the financial consequences, and conveniently turn ablind eye to what has happeneed, and is happening at Portsmouth.

They are also the ones that believe, and post on here, that things are going to be worse this season because of who we have failed to sign, without having the slightest idea of McInnes's efforts in the market and what targets he may have identified and is in the process of tying up.

So the "crowd followers"- who understand the implications of financial fair play, understand that BCFC is a business, understand the basics of business finance ( profit and loss, turnover, revenue and capital accounts) and thereby understand that to be a viable business, let alone a viable football club, we cannot continue to run losses of £11m pa and maintain a wage bill that is 132% of it's revenue - don't have a brain between them?

Those that don't have a brain are those that believe running BCFC is pretty well the same as playing Footy Manager on PS3, where the worst that can happen is that you switch the machine off or start a new game.

They are also the ones that believe that just because Steve Lansdown is worth the best part of £1bn that he should plough every penny the manager, chief exec and chairman ask him to just because he can afford it.

They are also the ones that believe that because other clubs appear to be throwing load of money at transfer targets, that we should be doing the same notwithstandding the financial consequences, and conveniently turn ablind eye to what has happeneed, and is happening at Portsmouth.

They are also the ones that believe, and post on here, that things are going to be worse this season because of who we have failed to sign, without having the slightest idea of McInnes's efforts in the market and what targets he may have identified and is in the process of tying up.

Well said. :clap:

I grew up watching City play in the third tier, so hanging around the bottom half of the Championship is actually fine with me. It's a great league to be in. We do not have the support base to continue to outspend the majority of the division.

Top post!

I have sympathy with the OP's views. There are many clubs with owners less wealthy than Steve Lansdown who are seemingly hurling money into bolstering their squad whilst we appear unable to compete. But with only 3 promotion places available per season many of these clubs are going to be left disappointed come next May. Coupled with that is the eminent introduction of F.F.P. This will leave more than one club in a precarious position as a result of chasing the dream.

Our board and majority shareholder seem to be taking an altogether more sensible approach by gearing up early for the new financial regulations knowing that until Ashton Vale becomes a reality we cannot compete with the big boys. This approach does not mean a guaranteed lack of success but does require a highly competent manager. Many successful team have been created without spending the earth such as the great Forest side that won 2 European Cups or more recently Blackpool and Swansea who won promotion, even our First Division promotion side was the result of compiling a squad without costing the earth. We would all like us to be able to make high profile quality signings but the fact of the matter is we can't afford to, something I think those of us who remember 1982 accept more readily than fan too young to remember those days. That said I believe we will make several more good signings before the window slams shut at the end of August and/or some quality loan signings after August. But for now I am happy to sit back and allow the club to be run properly by those with all the information and a plan to improve the playing staff without plunging our future into doubt.

We, the fans, pour our heart into this club year in, year out.

We're told that we need to sign players, if not to compete, then at least survive in the Championship.

For 5 years we've been treading water at best.

Does Mr Lansdown have the funds available to fuel his passion for BCFC? Or has he lost interest in our beloved club?

We can't attract players, this is blatantly obvious.

If we want Premier League football, (which i assume everyone in the championship is striving for) then we need to gamble.

We need quality players, like everyone else seems to be buying.

The question is: We support the team unconditionally, ALWAYS. But when do we get a return on our emotional and financial investment?

Steve Lansdown is unbelievably wealthy. He says BCFC is his passion.

Time to invest in the future of the club mate, not the future of Bristol Rugby.

That translates to NOT buying Rugby teams, and putting your immense wealth to a single concern.

We nearly fluked a Premier League slot in 2007-8, and look what happened and who we signed the season after.

Co-incidence?

Unzip your wallet for ONE season Steve, or we'll continue to be a laughing stock for the likes of Derby, Watford and the Florists.

Unless something drastic occurs in the next 4 weeks, We're a league 1 team by Xmas.

Get a grip and be patient you ******* ****!!!

Great post! Well said mate.

I'm just happy we're in the Championship again for another season as we did almost get relegated last year. Im realistic, so if we finish in the bottom half without a relegation threat I'd be well happy. I'm prepared to be patient as I'd much rather have that than follow Portsmouth out of the back end of the league and worse still face liquidation. Be careful what you wish for is all I'd say.

I'm just happy we're in the Championship again for another season as we did almost get relegated last year. Im realistic, so if we finish in the bottom half without a relegation threat I'd be well happy. I'm prepared to be patient as I'd much rather have that than follow Portsmouth out of the back end of the league and worse still face liquidation. Be careful what you wish for is all I'd say.

I started watching City when we were in the old second division in the '60's so can identify with all those fans, especially younger fans, who want us to be competing for promotion to the top flight, becaase I wanted just the same back then. I was lucky enough to see City in the top flight and hope all you younger fans will get the same chance in the not to distant future.

However, I am also old enough to remember that within a few short years of that momentus promotion the club cam within an inch of going out of business because of financial decisions made when we were on the up and at the top of the tree, but the consequence was that we dropped to the bottom of the league structure in succesive seasons and took an age to recover from this demise.

There are new financial rules coing into play and I for one am pleased that as a club we seem to be embracing them, even though it makes the manager's job a tougher one in terms of bringing in new players and it seems to upset some fans who believe that McInnes shopuld have Lansdown's cheque book with half a dozen blank signed cheques in it. However, if financial control ensures the longevity of the club and at this level then that is good enough for me, as I am pretty sure that Portsmouth will not be the last big club to fall from grace because the spent beyond their means.

What a sensible post, completely at odds with some of the ill thought out comments and opinions expressed previously.

You can't have it both ways, SL backed his manager financially, and backed his managers judgement. Had he have not done so, he would've been open to fair criticism about not spending money. It's not SL's fault that those signings failed to deliver (largely).

The only criticism which can justifiably be levied at SL is his choice of manager. Up to DMac, the last two possibly three (depending on where you sit) showed poor judgement on SL's and the board's part. However, that looks to have been rectified and brighter times are ahead.

How easy it is to spend someone else's money and not have to account for it.

http://hereisthecity...e-are-they-now/

Portsmouth this and Portsmouth that.

They won something.

Something more than City ever has.

I don't have a message to send or a point to make, but I bet Pompey fans, even now, remember this with pride and passion.

And we can't even sign Bikey.

Thats whats wrong with BCFC - we lose sight of whats important - winning SOMETHING - for the first time in a very long history.

Morris, Cunningham...............nuff said.

so You'd rather go out of business and win a cup then be safe and a have a club to support in the future?

Fact is we all want to get out of this division but unless Lansdown starts backing Del in the way that he backed Johnson we'll be going out of it in the wrong direction.

Nonsense. If we do go down it won't be because of our lack of spending, it'll be failing to get the right managers or right players in (not that I believe this'll happen btw). As said countless times on this thread, we used to have one of the biggest wage bills in the division and, as we really really really don't have one of the biggest fanbases, it was way beyond our means.

Looking at Rangers, Portsmouth etc. over recent seasons, I'll tell you now that I don't want to get promotion at the expense of having a sustainable club. This is the longest period of my lifetime (I'm 30) that Bristol City has managed to sustain themselves in the Championship and I'd rather we established ourselves here than spent silly money for a short spell in the Premier League.

They won something.

I don't have a message to send or a point to make, but I bet Pompey fans, even now, remember this with pride and passion.

Thats whats wrong with BCFC - we lose sight of whats important - winning SOMETHING - for the first time in a very long history.

If Portsmouth do go bust , I'm sure all their fans will console themselves with the fact that they won a trophy when everyone else is off supporting their team.

They won something.

Steve Lansdown hasn't lost sight of what's important, why else do you think he is prepared to spend the thick end of £100m of HIS money on new stadium? For the last few seasons we have spending more than we earn and that cannot continue. Not just because its not a very good financial model, but because under FFP club's cannot operate in this way.

Until we have he new stadium it is difficult to increase income so the only alterative is to reduce spending. Over the summer we have got rid of a lot of high earners, but this doesn't mean that McInnes can spend the wages that have been freed up or we would be back where we started. He has to bring in new players on wages that are within what we can now afford.

Other clubs (e.g. leeds and Forest) have bigger incomes than us so can afford to spend more on players wages. Other clubs will still be prepared to throw money they don't have at players they can't afford in the in the hope it brings success, all the while ignoring the realiity of FFP just around the corner. Our approach will ensure the financial future of this club, even though in the short term it might mean that we aren't bringing in top line players who want top line money. If fans find this state of affairs disappointing, frustrating or unacceptable then it might be better for them to look for another free spending club to support - Cardiff have spent pretty heavily in the recent past and the good news is that to accomodate disgruntled City fans they have just changed their shirts from blue to red!

I've supported this club for the best part of 50 years, and hope that I can continue to do so for the rest of my days. I can remember when this club was within an inch of going out of business and can assure you that an FA Cup win would have in no way compensated for not seeing the team over the last 30 years and a future without the club I love. I daresay that most Pompey fans remember their FA Cup win pride and passion, but faced with the distinct possibility of seeing their club disappear from the face of the earth in the next few weeks, I suspect that most of them would happily swap that FA Cup win for the chance to go back and undo the reckless financial management that got them into this mess, if it secured the future for the famous old club that they love.

As you say, Pompey won something - more than City ever have.

In a few weeks time it is quite likely that Pompey go bust and out of existence , which is also something more than City ever have.

I know which of the two optioins I prefer.

Of course as City fans, we want it all. There is no rational associated in supporting a football team and its amusing when 'logic' is applied to all these arguements. There is no Logic in Football, fact. Thats what makes it fantastic.

What City must always do is sell any/ every player anyone ever bids for because I cant think of one player I couldnt live without which probably expalins my next thought. I just want to be entertained. I would prefer just one player with imagination to go and watch rather than three drop dead dull and earnest players..... and weve got loads of 'em.

Personally I think we will get in a few premier loanees to spice up the team and all will be well.!

All these various opinions have valid points..............Its just that whenever I go on the Championship section of BBC sport.......I see Birmingham sign Ambrose......Blackpool sign Gomes............Leeds complete deal for Varney.........EVEN **kin Barnsley "Sign Reds winger Silva"...........Whats next to Bristol City?........."McGhee Positive on Clarkson Deal??!!" I am not advocating going out and spending £1 Million Quid.......But for Chrissakes sign someone to keep the Fans a Little Bit excited about the coming season..........and at least to get Bloody "McGhee Positive.......etc ....off of our BBC Football profile! I'll now go back in my cell.

All these various opinions have valid points..............Its just that whenever I go on the Championship section of BBC sport.......I see Birmingham sign Ambrose......Blackpool sign Gomes............Leeds complete deal for Varney.........EVEN **kin Barnsley "Sign Reds winger Silva"...........Whats next to Bristol City?........."McGhee Positive on Clarkson Deal??!!" I am not advocating going out and spending £1 Million Quid.......But for Chrissakes sign someone to keep the Fans a Little Bit excited about the coming season..........and at least to get Bloody "McGhee Positive.......etc ....off of our BBC Football profile! I'll now go back in my cell.

We've signed Cunningham Pearson and Morris and are in talks with Heaton

People really are idiots.

Seriously, think about it. Sure, we could spend, and end up with a bit of temporary yet unsustainable glory. Or it could backfire, and you could no longer have a club to support.

Why the hell would you risk that?

We shouldn't - and SL won't (I hope!) Even worse, spending to a stupid degree could quite possibly give us the second part of your equation, without ever quite delivering the first.... look at how much the no-longer-bluebirds spent, for example.

Archived