IGNORED

What's Going On?

Oops

So the "crowd followers"- who understand the implications of financial fair play, understand that BCFC is a business, understand the basics of business finance ( profit and loss, turnover, revenue and capital accounts) and thereby understand that to be a viable business, let alone a viable football club, we cannot continue to run losses of £11m pa and maintain a wage bill that is 132% of it's revenue - don't have a brain between them?

Those that don't have a brain are those that believe running BCFC is pretty well the same as playing Footy Manager on PS3, where the worst that can happen is that you switch the machine off or start a new game.

They are also the ones that believe that just because Steve Lansdown is worth the best part of £1bn that he should plough every penny the manager, chief exec and chairman ask him to just because he can afford it.

They are also the ones that believe that because other clubs appear to be throwing load of money at transfer targets, that we should be doing the same notwithstandding the financial consequences, and conveniently turn ablind eye to what has happeneed, and is happening at Portsmouth.

They are also the ones that believe, and post on here, that things are going to be worse this season because of who we have failed to sign, without having the slightest idea of McInnes's efforts in the market and what targets he may have identified and is in the process of tying up.

you sound llike a back water person maby u deserve a back water club

http://hereisthecity...e-are-they-now/

Portsmouth this and Portsmouth that.

They won something.

Something more than City ever has.

I don't have a message to send or a point to make, but I bet Pompey fans, even now, remember this with pride and passion.

And we can't even sign Bikey.

Thats whats wrong with BCFC - we lose sight of whats important - winning SOMETHING - for the first time in a very long history.

Morris, Cunningham...............nuff said.

:grr::argh::igiveup:

Good point..

One missed by many..

There will be more to follow, to add to an already decent squad..

A decent squad?

Nobody had a good word for most of these players last year, and a good deal of them are now gone.

Remember when Southampton were in for fontaine? The general chat was get rid, 1 million we will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Woolford was not even a professional footballer, now some people are suggesting it's gonna be his year this year.

Every player was getting slated, now we have signed Morris and Cunningham, people are suggesting a mid table finish

Unbelievable.

As for the op, I understand some of his concerns, and Ashton Vale will not produce miracles, remember SL is a business man.

Who will profit more?

So the "crowd followers"- who understand the implications of financial fair play, understand that BCFC is a business, understand the basics of business finance ( profit and loss, turnover, revenue and capital accounts) and thereby understand that to be a viable business, let alone a viable football club, we cannot continue to run losses of £11m pa and maintain a wage bill that is 132% of it's revenue - don't have a brain between them?

Those that don't have a brain are those that believe running BCFC is pretty well the same as playing Footy Manager on PS3, where the worst that can happen is that you switch the machine off or start a new game.

They are also the ones that believe that just because Steve Lansdown is worth the best part of £1bn that he should plough every penny the manager, chief exec and chairman ask him to just because he can afford it.

They are also the ones that believe that because other clubs appear to be throwing load of money at transfer targets, that we should be doing the same notwithstandding the financial consequences, and conveniently turn ablind eye to what has happeneed, and is happening at Portsmouth.

They are also the ones that believe, and post on here, that things are going to be worse this season because of who we have failed to sign, without having the slightest idea of McInnes's efforts in the market and what targets he may have identified and is in the process of tying up.

It's hard to see how anyone can disagree with any of this.

There is always going to be a massive divide about something, currently I think it's around expectations.

The FFP rules, that we signed up to, are now having and will continue to have a big effect on how we do business. We just can't go on throwing money at players, we will be punished if we don't get our house in order. The losses being incurred are too great.

Unfortunately, due to the low income of our club compared to many in this division (relativiely low attendances etc), we have to be shrewder in the transfer market and make sure the signings are good value for money.

If people choose to ignore this, that's their perogative but unfortunately, this is how it's going to be.

I take exception to that mate.

All City fans are blinkered and glory hunting to a certain extent, same as any fan of any club, anywhere.

As for the FFP rules, how does a man worth half a billion pounds NOT live within his means?

Steve Lansdowns boy might very well be on the board, but only because Daddy put him there. You ever met the bloke? He might be a Hereford fan for all you know.

As for impatient, well, that all depends on how long you've been waiting for City to shit or get off the pot.

Jon lansdown is the reason Steve lansdown came to city in the first place. Jon wanted to come to watch the city so Steve bought him, I was chatting to Jon as a young lad the first time they came, so def a city fan! :)

It's hard to see how anyone can disagree with any of this.

There is always going to be a massive divide about something, currently I think it's around expectations.

The FFP rules, that we signed up to, are now having and will continue to have a big effect on how we do business. We just can't go on throwing money at players, we will be punished if we don't get our house in order. The losses being incurred are too great.

Unfortunately, due to the low income of our club compared to many in this division (relativiely low attendances etc), we have to be shrewder in the transfer market and make sure the signings are good value for money.

If people choose to ignore this, that's their perogative but unfortunately, this is how it's going to be.

Absolutely so.

Those who thought we'd make five or six cash signings this summer are seriously deluded, the likelihood now is that we'll be signing a couple of players who are still out of contract (or loans) with no more than one more cash signing after Greg Cunningham, I think.

What we'll need to do is make the maximum use of those already under contract and be very shrewd over any future recruits.

I don't think we have a great squad but what we have already would see us put out a side and subs in every position (bar keeper) with plenty of experience of championship football.

So the "crowd followers"- who understand the implications of financial fair play, understand that BCFC is a business, understand the basics of business finance ( profit and loss, turnover, revenue and capital accounts) and thereby understand that to be a viable business, let alone a viable football club, we cannot continue to run losses of £11m pa and maintain a wageI bill that is 132% of it's revenue - don't have a brain between them?

What a load of shit

You can't get football manager on the ps3

My intention was to highlight the fact that we seem to be less attractive to potential signings than many other clubs. I wasn't trolling or being deliberately provocative, and some of the replies to my original post have been nothing less than I expected to be honest.

The bare facts are:

We do not have a squad capable of challenging for the play-offs. The best we can hope for at this moment is lower mid table obscurity.

As I see it, we lack ambition. You need a solid and productive Academy to be able to build a squad from within, and historically since we were promoted to the Championship we consistently fail to produce Championship quality players. We produce players, but they are generally offloaded to League 1 or 2 teams on loan and then discarded altogether.

We can't build a promotion squad from within, and we apparently can't attract high quality players who are prepared to drag us out of the doldrums. Personally, I try to rationalise the very fine line which exists between profilgate spending in the transfer market and potential disaster, but I always arrive at the same answer. Eventually, we are going to HAVE to spend big money one way or another. I'd rather we spent that money trying to compete in the Championship than be the biggest fish in the League 1 pond. Been there, done that.

I'm not advocating another multi million pound roll of the dice, but I tend to question the wisdom of those incharge of the purse strings who deemed that the well publicised recent wastes of space were worth the money offered to them.

I find myself envious of lesser clubs, who seem to be signing players we would be glad of, and wonder why we're missing a trick. Surely no-one who reads this forum can be 100% satisfied with our transfer movements this close season? As I said, we don't apparently have the structure or the time to build a team from academy graduates, and we appear unable to atttract the quality needed to support our lofty ambitions.

We will need to spend money eventually, and thats a fact. You can quote the FFp all you like at me, but at the end of the day I'm a City fan and I want to see us challenging the Derby's, the Forests, the Watfords. But at this point in time, we aren't.

Sorry to ramble on, but there seems to be a very large gap between the fans expectation and the Club's. If we are simply trying to consolidate and stay in the Championship the fair enough. But just tell us, and we can adjust our expectations accordingly. But, and its a big but, there will come a time when money will have to cease to be an object. I just hope that when this happens we're looking down from a play-off spot, not up from League 1.

Absolutely so.

Those who thought we'd make five or six cash signings this summer are seriously deluded, the likelihood now is that we'll be signing a couple of players who are still out of contract (or loans) with no more than one more cash signing after Greg Cunningham, I think.

What we'll need to do is make the maximum use of those already under contract and be very shrewd over any future recruits.

I don't think we have a great squad but what we have already would see us put out a side and subs in every position (bar keeper) with plenty of experience of championship football.

Like Doncaster?

We need to build the club up not recklessly spend, we are already trying to build a new stadium and are creating a new youth setup, So we might not be challenging for promotion but considering we are the biggest team in the south- west after we have taken these steps the club should improve year by year, more youth players coming through and a better transfer kitty because of this. So it might take 5, 10, 15 years, only 20 teams can be in the Premier League!

We need to build the club up not recklessly spend, we are already trying to build a new stadium and are creating a new youth setup, So we might not be challenging for promotion but considering we are the biggest team in the south- west after we have taken these steps the club should improve year by year, more youth players coming through and a better transfer kitty because of this. So it might take 5, 10, 15 years, only 20 teams can be in the Premier League!

How do we build a club up without spending?

Give me an example of a club who achieved Premier League status by virtue of their youth academy?

Speculate to accumulate, It can be done without bankrupting the club. Look at Reading, Norwich, Blackpool for example. These teams all have wealthy backers who are prepared to shell out for success, whereas we have a wealthy backer who isn't. For gods sake, Crawley Town have a more exciting transfer policy than us.

We signed David James and paid him £18,000 a week!! Nicky Hunt on £12,000!! to name but two! Thats £120,000 A MONTH! For 2 years each!

You tell me our transfer policy is sound, and I'll beg to differ. Blackpool have a £10,000 wage cap and look at the players they've got. City dont attract players for some reason, who knows why?

Give me an examwple of a club who achieved Premier League status by virtue of their youth academy?

Speculate to accumulate, It can be done without bankrupting the club. Look at Reading, Norwich, Blackpool for example. These teams all have wealthy backers who are prepared to shell out for success, whereas we have a wealthy backer who isn't. For gods sake, Crawley Town have a more exciting transfer policy than us.

We signed David James and paid him £18,000 a week!! Nicky Hunt on £12,000!! to name but two! Thats £120,000 A MONTH! For 2 years each!

You tell me our transfer policy is sound, and I'll beg to differ. Blackpool have a £10,000 wage cap and look at the players they've got. City dont attract players for some reason, who knows why?

I know why. We are a back water club, with a piss poor history of achievement, who's fans think the club is better than it is.

Unfortunately for us, many players can see it for what it is, a no mark English div 1 championship yo yo club.

I understood this fact years ago, it is my own Damn stupid fault for carrying on the family support for the club.

Can anyone think of any good reason, for quality players to be interested in this club, other than occasional stepping stone use?

Give me an example of a club who achieved Premier League status by virtue of their youth academy?

I think we'll be seeing this perceived 'lack of ambition' for a while yet. The reality is we couldn't sustain Premier League status if we achieved it anyway. Much as I love the Gate, the facilities are piss poor and earning potential is on a par with that. Our capacity is too small and added to that, unlike pretty much everyone in the Championship we've got absolutely no executive boxes and like it or not, that brings in money as well.

The fact is we're going to have to sit back and be patient and hope that Ashton Vale gets built, because my gut feeling is, this club will be going nowhere fast unless that happens. If the new ground does get the go-ahead, I think we'll see SL loosen the purse strings and start building up the squad for a good push for the Prem.

Crazy spending would be financial suicide at the moment, so all we can do at present is carry on supporting the club and backing them in any way we can to make AV a reality. Then we'd have every right to see 'more ambition' from the club, as we'd then have the facilities in place to really give it a shot.

I know why. We are a back water club, with a piss poor history of achievement, who's fans think the club is better than it is.

Unfortunately for us, many players can see it for what it is, a no mark English div 1 championship yo yo club.

I understood this fact years ago, it is my own Damn stupid fault for carrying on the family support for the club.

Can anyone think of any good reason, for quality players to be interested in this club, other than occasional stepping stone use?

Spot on...

I also believe many of our fans are delusional about our status. We are nobody's in the footballing world.

But does it really matter? Half the fun of being a fan of BCFC is being honest and realising that the Club is like some hot chick in a club that teases you all night with promises...then fails to deliver. We are what we are...very...very average...and there are far better options out there.

If we can be a Club in this Division for a long time...playing attractive football and beating the occasional big Club along the way...then that's fine with me.

The only other team that i admire... and think....there is no reason why BCFC couldn't follow their route...is Swansea. Fair play to them.

Personally...I think at one stage we tried to do a Reading...but it backfired. They're fans much be ecstatic in what they've achieved in recent years.

FFP While an issue will NOT prevent clubs with wealthy owners 'chasing the dream' for the next two seasons.

See below from the leagues own website.

Sanctions

Failure to stay within the defined limits will lead to the imposition of sanctions. However, there will be no sanctions implemented during the first two seasons (2012/13 and 2013/14) in order to give clubs a sensible period of transition.

I think there are certain clubs that may well do a 'Portsmouth' during the next two years.

In theory rich owners have a two year window to plough money into trying to reach the Prem.

BTW West Ham lost 90 Million pounds between 2005-2010......Where are they now?

You really dont have to spend big in this league to do well. Leicester are a prime example of that. With big fees come big expectations, big ego's and often overpaid falling stars.

With 1-2 good loan signings and some lower league players with something to prove and the right manager you can do really well in this league. Also worth to mention giving promising youngsters a run of games to prove their worth.

Would have liked to see us get a few more on board by now to get more pre season with us under the belt but then again we are saving money by signing them later. If we sign a keeper (Heaton's fine with me), creative midfielder who can score the odd goal, quick striker and a commanding centre half to partner Fontaine however will be very pleased with our summers business and think we can do well this season.

FFP While an issue will NOT prevent clubs with wealthy owners 'chasing the dream' for the next two seasons.

See below from the leagues own website.

Sanctions

Failure to stay within the defined limits will lead to the imposition of sanctions. However, there will be no sanctions implemented during the first two seasons (2012/13 and 2013/14) in order to give clubs a sensible period of transition.

I think there are certain clubs that may well do a 'Portsmouth' during the next two years.

In theory rich owners have a two year window to plough money into trying to reach the Prem.

BTW West Ham lost 90 Million pounds between 2005-2010......Where are they now?

Thowing money means your houes will not be in ordr by that time and there is a larger chance of not getting promoted,

if the regulations are not met the club will face Transfer Bans, Fines and Points deductions

You're contradicting yourself. You say Lansdown is not prepared to shell out , and then give 2 examples of where he has. It's not his fault that Johnson , Coppell & Millen have spunked all his money away on high transfer fees and salaries.

Lansdown can be blamed for putting these managers in place , sure , but he has backed them. Unfortunatley the judgement of those managers was flawed and we now find ourselves in the position of having to cut a wage bill that exceeds our income.

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/05/10/portsmouths-fa-cup-winning-team-where-are-they-now/

Portsmouth this and Portsmouth that.

They won something.

Something more than City ever has.

I don't have a message to send or a point to make, but I bet Pompey fans, even now, remember this with pride and passion.

And we can't even sign Bikey.

Thats whats wrong with BCFC - we lose sight of whats important - winning SOMETHING - for the first time in a very long history.

Morris, Cunningham...............nuff said.

You really are a prat aren't you.

Archived