IGNORED

David Noble

Big Red Rich

Such a shame as he such talent but he seems more interested on nights out.

Seems true, but even with that attitude he did enough to be classed as a legend here if only for the two games mentioned at the end of the article.

It seems the most talented and maverick of footballers have problems off the field, I wonder why that is?

Seems true, but even with that attitude he did enough to be classed as a legend here if only for the two games mentioned at the end of the article.

It seems the most talented and maverick of footballers have problems off the field, I wonder why that is?

I assume that there are countless players with the talent and ability of these 'mavericks' but because they do what they are told by English coaches they are coached out of trying anything remotely resembling flair in a game.

Players like Noble have this attitude and arrogance to try things that are off the cuff and to an extent ignore what their coaches tell them.

Noble is obviously a bit of div but I cant help but love the guy- that incredible moment at Selhurst Park will never be beaten for me.

The Post in trying to sour City's name again. Did they not learn from the Bradley Orr story?

Why is it not 'Ex Exeter City Star faces jail'

Why is it not a picture of him in a Exeter City shirt?

Lets just concentrate on BCFC again eh EP?

I assume that there are countless players with the talent and ability of these 'mavericks' but because they do what they are told by English coaches they are coached out of trying anything remotely resembling flair in a game.

Players like Noble have this attitude and arrogance to try things that are off the cuff and to an extent ignore what their coaches tell them.

Noble is obviously a bit of div but I cant help but love the guy- that incredible moment at Selhurst Park will never be beaten for me.

to be fair, I think Nobles problem was more to do with the fact he loved his social life far to much....more so then having his ability coached out of him.

Many of us have seen it with our own eyes....hes is smashed every time he is out in town. I used to see him out occasionally on Friday nights aswell, although to be fair....not wasted...but still, bet he wasnt supposed to be out.

I could also tell you one or two more things about mr Noble and his social life....especially pre-season.....however wouldnt post it on an open forum for liable reasons.

The bloke was a talent.....but a grade A waster

how are they trying to sour Citys name?

Using the headline 'Ex City Star faces Jail' and using a picture of him in a City shirt.

Why not use 'Ex Exeter City Star faces Jail' and a more recent picture? or 'Rotherham star faces jail' ?

Using the headline 'Ex City Star faces Jail' and using a picture of him in a City shirt.

Why not use 'Ex Exeter City Star faces Jail' and a more recent picture? or 'Rotherham star faces jail' ?

hmmm, get what your saying, but its a Bristol paper....and the whole reason its relevent to our local news, is because he is an ex City player.

I've been to Java several times. The capital, Jakarta, is choked with traffic and I have felt, on occasion, like getting out of my car and flattening the guy in front or on my side trying to muscle his car into my lane. Absolutely appreciate why anybody would get heated over that if not the putting it into practice.

Why David Noble felt he had to go half way around the world to get violent when he could have done it in Brizzle is beyond me though; what footballers waste their money on I am really. What nonsense and he deserves what he gets.

:shutup::mf_sleep:

Such a shame, as echoed above it is a big waste of talent, in my opinion if he was less interested in his frequent drinking and endevours down town and focused on realising his potential he could have made all the way into the prem pulling strings for a mid/lower mid table side. Will never forget the flashes of brilliance he pulled of in a red shirt though I wouldnt class him as a ''legend'' I think that Palace goal alone will endear him in the heart of many city fans for a long, long time!

Thing is, whatever we think about David wasting his talent, we have to love him for what he did for City. The goals against Middlesborough in the Cup, against Crystal palace in the play-offs and the 2 against Rotherham for promotion. How can any City fan not love him for all the pleasure he gave us iin the Johnson era.

Noble never struck me as a possible thug.

So providing these gifted but flawed sportsmen are not hurting anyone off the pitch of course during their antics, they give a special experience to the game. They are not going to bore us to death that's for sure and knowing what we do about their weaknesses actually helps us appreciate their talent even more in my view.

Thing is, whatever we think about David wasting his talent, we have to love him for what he did for City. The goals against Middlesborough in the Cup, against Crystal palace in the play-offs and the 2 against Rotherham for promotion. How can any City fan not love him for all the pleasure he gave us iin the Johnson era.

Noble never struck me as a possible thug.

So providing these gifted but flawed sportsmen are not hurting anyone off the pitch of course during their antics, they give a special experience to the game. They are not going to bore us to death that's for sure and knowing what we do about their weaknesses actually helps us appreciate their talent even more in my view.

Couldn't agree more. Noble was involved in some of my favourite City moments. The talented, maverick type players are often flawed. I think the creativity and moments of brilliance come from less conservative players, and off the field they tend to be a bit more wild than your model pros. Flawed genius is an overused phrase, but Noble was certainly one of ours, and is the kind of player I've always enjoyed watching - capable of something special.

Sorry but could you imagine how nonsensical and confused everyone would be if The BRISTOL Post ran a story about David Noble, plonked a picture of him in a Rotherham shirt and referred to him as ex-Exeter City?? Bit of a weak reason to knock the post on this occasion.

Couldn't agree more. Noble was involved in some of my favourite City moments. The talented, maverick type players are often flawed. I think the creativity and moments of brilliance come from less conservative players, and off the field they tend to be a bit more wild than your model pros. Flawed genius is an overused phrase, but Noble was certainly one of ours, and is the kind of player I've always enjoyed watching - capable of something special.

Funny that, because I remember a player who consistently under-delivered, went missing 99% of the time, and gave the ball away far too easily. All this speculation about the player he could have been la la la is pointless, who knows? He has a place in our hearts and minds for the one or two moments when he delivered, but no more than that for me.

Funny that, because I remember a player who consistently under-delivered, went missing 99% of the time, and gave the ball away far too easily. All this speculation about the player he could have been la la la is pointless, who knows? He has a place in our hearts and minds for the one or two moments when he delivered, but no more than that for me.

Consistently under delivered and went missing? Can't see that, sorry. I also thought he kept the ball well, better than most of our current midfield actually. It's a game of opinions though!

Nonsense. We played almost all of our best football under Johnson with Noble in the team. As many people have already stated in this thread he gave us some very famous moments of genius, but to remember him for only that would be unfair. In general when he was in the team we played much more attractive and exciting football. Be it in centre midfield with Alex Russell when he first joined from Boston, in behind the striker or even out on the right wing at the end of the 07/08 season we were always a much more stylish team when he was in it. The Sheffield United game at home that season was the most impressive display I have ever seen from a City team and it was largely thanks to the perfromance that Noble produced.

Like all players of his type he had his flaws and there was obviously a reason behind Johnson not playing him anywhere near as much as many fans would have liked. I always used to say that if Noble started and we lost there was no chance he would start the next game. It would seem that his private life has played a part in his career not reaching the heights that it should have (I won't comment anymore than that I have only seen him out once and it was in summer and he didn't appear too drunk) but at the same time I would suggest that somebody of Noble's talent only having the career he has also says alot about how many mangers and scouts in this country look at football. Effort over talent. Workrate over ability.

I've been to Java several times. The capital, Jakarta, is choked with traffic and I have felt, on occasion, like getting out of my car and flattening the guy in front or on my side trying to muscle his car into my lane. Absolutely appreciate why anybody would get heated over that if not the putting it into practice.

Why David Noble felt he had to go half way around the world to get violent when he could have done it in Brizzle is beyond me though; what footballers waste their money on I am really. What nonsense and he deserves what he gets.

:shutup::mf_sleep:

dont give up the day job geez

Noble, a legend? Now that is funny.

Ultimately those goals were pointless. He is about as far away from legendary status as it's possible to be.

A waster who had one good game then two bad.

His goals against Rotheram couldn't be less pointless. Perhaps not a legend but steady on. Those goals took us up.

What all of Noble's critics appear to overlook is that players of exceptional talent only play for our club if there is some reason for them not to play for Barcelona, Manchester United, Chelsea etc.

Hence it even if not all genius is flawed (e.g. Lionel Messi) then it must be before we can see it at our club.

For me, David Noble sits with Ralph Milne (goal at York to take us to the '88 play-offs and instrumental in victory over Crystal Palace in the League Cup in 88/89 - the best City performance I have ever seen against high-flying Wright/Bright inspired Palace) and Dzeikanowski (need I say more) as the most memorable talents I have seen at Ashton Gate in 30 years. (yes I know we sold Milne to Man Utd and Jacki played for Celtic and Poland)

All 3 enjoyed a drink (or 2) and none of them threatened to turn Bristol City into world-beaters BUT of the three Noble played the most games over the longest period and contributed to a successful promotion and caused the manager fewer problems - therefore a legend for me.

My life sentence would be harder endure without such occasional enigmatic interludes - and hence all three will always be legends for me.

Archived