One Team In Bristol

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 bs3

bs3
  • Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Now Rovers have withdrawn to South Glos and have surrendered the City of Bristol to us it's about time we starting singing one team in Bristol again. We are and alway will be the team for the City of Bristol , the peoples team.

To hide third-party ads become an OTIB Supporter now for a fiver

#2 Bcfc-Chris

Bcfc-Chris
  • Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

The chant of '**** off to UWE, the City is ours' has to come out soon surely?

#3 RedDave

RedDave
  • Members
  • 3613 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Now Rovers have withdrawn to South Glos and have surrendered the City of Bristol to us it's about time we starting singing one team in Bristol again. We are and alway will be the team for the City of Bristol , the peoples team.

I don't understand. Their stadium will be in the City of Bristol won't it?
Posted Image

#4 bs3

bs3
  • Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

No

#5 TRL

TRL
  • Members
  • 11547 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

No. It will be in the county of south Gloucestershire. It maybe classed as greater Bristol. But it is not in the borders of the city of Bristol or the county of Bristol.

#6 slartibartfast

slartibartfast
  • Members
  • 7730 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

South Glos

Posted Image

#7 bcfcsouth

bcfcsouth
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

No. It will be in the county of south Gloucestershire. It maybe classed as greater Bristol. But it is not in the borders of the city of Bristol or the county of Bristol.

Not in the borders, not in Bristol.

This greater bristol is a load of rubbish.

#8 TRL

TRL
  • Members
  • 11547 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Exactly. Just a name put on a expanding area.

#9 bs3

bs3
  • Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

True . Greater Bristol do not exist.

#10 RedRaw

RedRaw
  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Woh, woh, woh......of course there is a greater Bristol the same as there is a greater Manchester, you do realise that Man U are not actually in the city of Manchester. Half of the urban extension of north and east Bristol is outside of the archaic city boundaries, kingswood, downend, hanham, staple hill, emersons, warmley, longwell green, mangotsfield, frenchay, filton, patchway, Bradley stoke, stoke gifford, cribbs....I could go on.....All suburbs of "Bristol", dont let a few administrative lines tell you otherwise.

Let's not belittle our city just to try and get one over on the sags

Edited by RedRaw, 17 January 2013 - 11:40 PM.

“Without the board there would be no Bristol Rovers” :w00t: 

“We were not anticipating relegation in regards to budgeting for 2014-2015, we were only in relegation period for 70 minutes” :doh: 

“We have the right board....we wouldn’t have got to where we are now without them” :huh: .............. :rofl2br: 

Bristol Rovers Board of Directors – June 2014

#11 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I don't think anyone is trying to belittle the City. I do not decide where the City boundaries are, you do not decide where the City boundaries are, the poster you replied to does not decide where the city boundaries are. They are where they are, UWE is outside the City boundaries, therefore Rovers are moving out of Bristol.

That's a fact. One team in Bristol.
All men have secrets and here is mine, so let it be known...

#12 bs3

bs3
  • Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Woh, woh, woh......of course there is a greater Bristol the same as there is a greater Manchester, you do realise that Man U are not actually in the city of Manchester. Half of the urban extension of north and east Bristol is outside of the archaic city boundaries, kingswood, downend, hanham, staple hill, emersons, warmley, longwell green, mangotsfield, frenchay, filton, patchway, Bradley stoke, stoke gifford, cribbs....I could go on.....All suburbs of "Bristol", dont let a few administrative lines tell you otherwise.

Fact is Fact and there is no argument , there is no Greater Bristol . However there is a Greater Manchester.

#13 bs3

bs3
  • Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

People in these areas only want to be part of Bristol when it suits them.

#14 SimplyRed

SimplyRed

No! I'm NOT a Simply Red fan!

• Members
  • 2375 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Whether or not you think there's a greater Bristol, and regardless of political boundaries, the postal address is Bristol and it will have a Bristol postcode. I live in Yate and though, politically, Yate is in South Glos, the postal address and postcode is still BRISTOL.

#15 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Whether or not you think there's a greater Bristol, and regardless of political boundaries, the postal address is Bristol and it will have a Bristol postcode. I live in Yate and though, politically, Yate is in South Glos, the postal address and postcode is still BRISTOL.

Is Weston Super Mare in Bristol as well?

#16 redcityman

redcityman
  • Members
  • 2046 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Weston Super Mare BS24, is that in Bristol!

Ted beat me to it.

Edited by redcityman, 18 January 2013 - 12:19 AM.

If you build it,they will come.

#17 RedRaw

RedRaw
  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I appreciate the technicalities of what is being said but come on....are you telling me people born and bred in these areas are not bristolians? Or that they dont see themselves as bristolian? Current boundary lines split through suburbs, streets even......my in-laws live in downend, one half of the street is "Bristol" the other comes under "south glos". It's still Bristol regardless of what day your bins are taken. It's about the area you are from not what some government pen pusher decides when drawing boundaries..boundaries change, but the people and the area don't. I was brought up in kingswood now living in stoke gifford, I pay my council tax to south glos but don't try and tell me I'm not a bristolian Yes we can take the p1ss out of the gas about "leaving" Bristol but its a weak arguement and means nothing at the end of the day

“We were not anticipating relegation in regards to budgeting for 2014-2015, we were only in relegation period for 70 minutes” :doh: 

“We have the right board....we wouldn’t have got to where we are now without them” :huh: .............. :rofl2br: 

#18 RedDave

RedDave
  • Members
  • 3613 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Blimey, didn't realise WSM was in Bristol.
Posted Image

#19 RedDave

RedDave
  • Members
  • 3613 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

I appreciate the technicalities of what is being said but come on....are you telling me people born and bred in these areas are not bristolians? Or that they dont see themselves as bristolian?

Current boundary lines split through suburbs, streets even......my in-laws live in downend, one half of the street is "Bristol" the other comes under "south glos". It's still Bristol regardless of what day your bins are taken. It's about the area you are from not what some government pen pusher decides when drawing boundaries..boundaries change, but the people and the area don't.

I was brought up in kingswood now living in stoke gifford, I pay my council tax to south glos but don't try and tell me I'm not a bristolian

Yes we can take the p1ss out of the gas about "leaving" Bristol but its a weak arguement and means nothing at the end of the day

I see myself as good lookIng but my wife will tell you I'm not
Posted Image

#20 RedRaw

RedRaw
  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

No clearly not as it is totally separate from Bristol and a town in its own right. The areas I listed are connected to and are a continuation of the urban area of Bristol.

#21 RedRaw

RedRaw
  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

I see myself as good lookIng but my wife will tell you I'm not

And she's clearly right....

#22 RedDave

RedDave
  • Members
  • 3613 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

RedRaw, if you want to live in Bristol so much then just move here.
Posted Image

#23 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

No clearly not as it is totally separate from Bristol and a town in its own right. The areas I listed are connected to and are a continuation of the urban area of Bristol.

I was answering the post about postcodes.

Weston has a Bristol postcode.

As my daughter would say, 'just saying'.

#24 RedRaw

RedRaw
  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

No need to mate....I already am. We keep talking about Bristol having a small town mentality.....now I can see why

#25 SimplyRed

SimplyRed

No! I'm NOT a Simply Red fan!

• Members
  • 2375 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Weston Super Mare BS24, is that in Bristol!

Ted beat me to it.

Weston-super-Mare is a town in its own right - just because it has a Bristol postcode doesn't mean it's in Bristol, it simply means the mail is sorted and distributed from Bristol.  The key element is the Post Town in the Royal Mail's addressing standard.

The post town for addresses in Weston-super-Mare is WESTON-SUPER-MARE

The post town for addresses in Yate is BRISTOL

Does that make sense now?

#26 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Yep, thanks.

Once again, I don't decide the City boundaries and neither do Royal Mail. Sorry about that.

#27 Kingswood mask

Kingswood mask
  • Members
  • 3816 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Is our new stadium, and i say this with a tad of optimism, within the bristol city (council ) border or are we looking at a north somerset setting ? just a question, anyone?

It's nice to be important

but it's important to be nice !

#28 Bar BS3

Bar BS3

Bar BS3

• Members
  • 3654 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Is our new stadium, and i say this with a tad of optimism, within the bristol city (council ) border or are we looking at a north somerset setting ? just a question, anyone?

#29 Bar BS3

Bar BS3

Bar BS3

• Members
  • 3654 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Yes it is. Only just! But the answer to your question is yes, the planned Ashton Vale stadium is to be within city boundaries.

#30 Kingswood mask

Kingswood mask
  • Members
  • 3816 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Yes it is. Only just! But the answer to your question is yes, the planned Ashton Vale stadium is to be within city boundaries.

Thanks for a rapid answer, wasnt a wind up but an honest question, those tossers keep on about it being in north som, thank you. now i can have a "pwopa bitch" at them,

#31 Bar BS3

Bar BS3

Bar BS3

• Members
  • 3654 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for a rapid answer, wasnt a wind up but an honest question, those tossers keep on about it being in north som, thank you. now i can have a "pwopa bitch" at them,

It is so much on the boarder that part of the earmarked site is indeed in North Somerset, however the stadium itself IS in Bristol.

#32 Kingswood mask

Kingswood mask
  • Members
  • 3816 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

It is so much on the boarder that part of the earmarked site is indeed in North Somerset, however the stadium itself IS in Bristol.

Phew........ONE TEAM IN BRISTOL gets so much sweeter.........Cheers

#33 bcfcsouth

bcfcsouth
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yate is not in Bristol, you just can't include places you wish to be in Bristol.

"don't worry Trevor, it's not in bristol but we will say it it"

Edited by bcfcsouth, 18 January 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#34 bcfcsouth

bcfcsouth
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

One access road is in north somerset

#35 Loderingo

Loderingo

The happiest clapper in happy clappy land

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Weston-super-Mare is a town in its own right - just because it has a Bristol postcode doesn't mean it's in Bristol, it simply means the mail is sorted and distributed from Bristol.  The key element is the Post Town in the Royal Mail's addressing standard.

The post town for addresses in Weston-super-Mare is WESTON-SUPER-MARE

Agree you can't decide what constitutes Bristol based on the Royal Mail as they decide postcodes to suit themselves

My address is Milton, Abingdon, Oxfordshire but Abingdon is 5 miles away.  Really, if anything,  I live in Didcot, which is a bigger town and only 3 miles away.

THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT, THE FUTURE'S BRISTOL CITY

#36 The Bard

The Bard
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

SPOT ON.BS3.

#37 atyeomax

atyeomax
  • Members
  • 1214 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Weston-Super-Mare has a Bristol postcode but is 20 miles away in North Somerset

#38 atyeomax

atyeomax
  • Members
  • 1214 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Gas were quick to try and say that Ashton Vale was in North Somerset (just the access road). It's just a laugh to reinforce the fact that there is only OTIB. I think some people are taking it a bit too seriously…

#39 real_bristol

real_bristol
  • Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Time to launch the M32 billboard fund?

"Welcome to Bristol"

#40 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Gas were quick to try and say that Ashton Vale was in North Somerset (just the access road). It's just a laugh to reinforce the fact that there is only OTIB. I think some people are taking it a bit too seriously

Spot on.

#41 JordanRed92

JordanRed92
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I live in Longwell green..

Only when it suits us? How does that work? I class myself as Bristolian, if anybody asks me where I'm from I say 'Bristol' and I support Bristol City FC.

I don't know anybody who ever claims they aren't from Bristol when something happens.. what a stupid statement.

I don't think anyone is trying to belittle the City. I do not decide where the City boundaries are, you do not decide where the City boundaries are, the poster you replied to does not decide where the city boundaries are. They are where they are, UWE is outside the City boundaries, therefore Rovers are moving out of Bristol.

That's a fact. One team in Bristol.

This is probably the worst post I've seen.. as above, I'm Bristolian.

Who decides that the UWE is outside the City boundaries then? Greater Bristol. They can class themselves Bristolian. 

This pathetic 'point scoring' thing is ridiculous. 

#42 bcfcsouth

bcfcsouth
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I live in Longwell green..

Only when it suits us? How does that work? I class myself as Bristolian, if anybody asks me where I'm from I say 'Bristol' and I support Bristol City FC.

I don't know anybody who ever claims they aren't from Bristol when something happens.. what a stupid statement.

Who decides that the UWE is outside the City boundaries then? Greater Bristol. They can class themselves Bristolian. 

There isnt a greater bristol!! People cant make up words just to include places in bristol.

CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL

Not city and county of bristol, with places in other counties added on.

#43 Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 Can Van Damme

• Members
  • 2703 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

If that's the worst post you've seen you should check out my other posts. Just out of interest though, which part of the bit you highlighted on my post was factually incorrect?

As for point scoring, lighten up. It's a bit of banter.

#44 Alf

Alf

Pessimist

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I've lived in Hanham my entire life and was born at Frenchay.

I have forever been telling people I was Bristol born and bred, have I been telling lies?  :liar:

Edited by Alf, 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#45 Aizoon

Aizoon

An elderly hedgehog

• Members
  • 16408 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've lived in Hanham my entire life and was born at Frenchay.

I have forever been telling people I'm Bristolian born and bred, have I been telling lies?  :liar:

One day the lost territories of Bristol will be reclaimed. I have a dream...

Sponsored by Horace the Hedgehog :farmer: - saviour of CITY in 2012, just couldn't do it in 2013, very relieved about 2014 - can 2015 be our year? MIND THE GINNUNGAGAP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To hide third-party ads become an OTIB Supporter now for a fiver