IGNORED

Has Steve Lansdown Been Good For Bristol City?

bristolcity1981

Has Steve Lansdown been good for BCFC ? And at what price ?

How many fans are aware that Steve Lansdowns 'investment' in BCFC - is

· Virtually all loans and not investment at all

· These Loans are 100% secured on all the clubs assets including the ground

· Lansdown charges the Club interest on his Loans. This interest is also secured against all the Clubs assets

· As regards the proposed new stadium which, as I understand it, Lansdown personally owns (?), he has actually charged most of the expenses incurred to the Football Club, not himself. well in excess of half a million pounds

Look at the BCFC Financial statements where all is revealed

Looking at other club benefactors over the years, I wonder if for example, Jack Walker decd at Blackburn or Dave Whelan at Wigan adopted the Lansdown model of Club Support

There is a big difference between properly investing in a football club AND blindly propping up the losses year after year whilst slowly sinking the ship - and BCFC now appears to be a financial basket case I am afraid. The clubs finances appear to have been wrecked under Lansdowns tenure and all you are going to have to show for it is League 1 football. Should he decide to walk away, think Portsmouth FC without the fun of the Premiership for a few years.

Its Steve Lansdowns money AND NOW, his football club, and he is at liberty to do what he wants with it. Far be it from me to tell him what to do. But Guardian Angel he is not as an example:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but was Lansdown the Chairman who authorized the issue of season ticket marketing literature to the fans in the summer of Brian Tinnions tenure as manager, with the catchy sales pitch See international players at Ashton Gate and a big glossy colour picture of Leroy Lita ( who had just been picked to play for England under 21s) on the front page? After hoovering up all the fans hard earned cash for their season tickets (about 10000 if I remember correctly?) Lansdown then promptly sold Leroy at the beginning of July, much to Tinmans dismay and succeeded in wrecking Brians pre season planning. I dont recall the sales proceeds being invested in the squad. Were the sales proceeds a very useful stopgap to cover some of the forthcoming seasons anticipated financial losses and save Lansdown some of his own money ?. Hardly the action of a club benefactor, especially when Leroy had the potential to be our top scorer that season. Brian Tinnion, a wonderful servant of our football club as a player, was duly sacked in the Autumn how predictable was that.

The season in question was not exceptional. The football club have form here during Lansdowns time on the board and Leroy is not the only star turn to have been cashed in after the money from season ticket sales has been harvested by the Club. Think e.g Scott Murray to Reading. Same circumstances and same timing. So Mr Lansdown REALLY cares about you the fans does he? Only asking.

If the club wish to behave like this, that is their prerogative, but dont lie to the fans and mess with their emotions. The cost of attending football matches is a big investment to lot of BCFC fans who are in reality just wage slaves unlike SL. Truthfully, if you look at typical fans on average earnings or less who buy a season ticket and perhaps attend some away matches as well, they are actually investing a bigger percentage of their desposable net income/wealth in the football club than Mr Lansdown. Do the sums. And they dont have the benefit of being a tax exile to boot. On the affordability scale, such BCFC fans can afford their support less than Mr Lansdown can. SL is a very very seriously wealthy man. Just look at the Hargreaves Lansdown share price compared to the flotation price and the ongoing profit/dividend stream

Has Steve Lansdown been good for BCFC?? Given the amount of his significant wealth, he has not been if you compare BCFC to other clubs who have seriously wealthy owner benefactors as well just think Fulham or Wigan for example. Who would have thought a while back, either of these clubs would get promoted to the Premiership and then survive year after year

Until Mr Lansdown changes his philophosy as regards BCFC think investment, not chucking good money after bad things will never change. BCFC with its masive debt/40 million pounds plus ?(and not a lot to show for it) is now the footballing equivalent of Cyprus or Greece. Cant see a painless way out of this one I am afraid. I hope Mr Lansdown doesnt have too many sleepness nights worrying about it. But please dont ask me to worship at the altar of false Gods. What next. 1982 all over again? I hope not.

Before you respond to this post take a look at the Clubs balance sheet for yourself...

Zzzzzz

Not really interested in the SL bashing.

All I will say is I'd rather have SL in charge than some foreign owner ala Venkys or Tan.. with them you know it'll end in tears. Ok you can say they've had the 1 minute of fame or in Cardiffs case will have next season but when it goes wrong there will be no club left to support, the heart will have been torn out of it.

No thanks... not for me.

Overall probably yes - but let's be honest it's pretty irrelevant as if was not him it could potentially have been someone better or just as likely someone worse.... I think with the plans, academy, new stadia (either AV or revamped AG,), new signing strategy, SOD...... things are looky pretty good for the future (i'm enjoying the Champsionship status whilst it last, until the R appears by our name).

Very poor attempt at a hatchet job, do your research properly, ie: without preconcieved ideas about his intentions.

For example: the current debt to MR Lansdown is reported to be £41m. Can you tell me how this is ever likely to be repaid from current assets which are valued at £20m (Ashton Gate stadium). What I am saying is, those debts are never likely to be repaid, how could they? He's invested in the playing side and the long term future with the academy and has nothing so far to show for it. Perhaps one day the club will be worth £100m, if we ever reach the premiership. But how much will it have cost him? He is trying to improve our club with his own money and do it sensibly, with controlled investment over time. I'm sure he's pretty peed off already, without people questioning if he's fleecing the club.

I am afraid this is all a very clever plans to get his name in lights. I am not buying it! Would love a chairman that has genuinely got the clubs best interests at heart. He's no Harry dolman & Harry never has the money SL has got but one thing he did have was the heart. He loved our club & made it a success.

You just blamed SL for Tinnion failing. The only thing SL was guilty of was giving him the job in the first place. That Tinman was an utterly useless manager is not in SL's control.

We sold players... Well bloody done, even United sell players when bigger clubs come calling.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your arguments are shocking. You offer nothing 'new' all facts we already knew and have already judged SL on.

We have some of the best training facilities in the land, an academy that is receiving large investments and a new or refurbished stadium on the way GUARANTEED. How is that not a change in attitude or whatever it was you said?

You have your opinion, I have mine and that is that you're a bit sad.

Will SL leave the club he supports in the financial crapper, I don't think so

He and the rest of the board have made a lot of mistakes over the last 3 years, But now it's time for a huge clear out and start producing young talent into the starting 11, And with the youth setup in place I can see that happening in League 1, If they act and tell the players on too much money for there ability to do one, and try and tie down the quality players to lower wages, Next season I will want to see a mix of experience and youth throughout the team. It's time we started nurturing our young prospects ourselves instead of them rotting in the reserves,

Out of the owners in the FL I think SL is the one I would want to have providing money for the club.

I have absolutely no doubt that he has the drive, ambition and wealth to bring success and his heart is the right place with regards to the club. The early GJ years especially 2006/7 and 2007/8 were great times, unfortunately followed by a serious losing of the plot until GJ went (not really SL's fault).

When Coppell was appointed, and subsequently David James recruited it brought a real buzz to the club, unfortunately this proved to be another BCFC false dawn and it has been 3 seasons of struggle. Unfortunate judgement?, bad luck? its a bit of both and its easy, in hindsight, to point the finger of blame or recognize the key decisions and events which took us to where we are now (clinging on!) The same could be said for the new stadium saga.

BUT he has given it a right good go and probably wondered many a time if it was worth it! That he is still chasing the dream is to his credit and hopefully lessons will have been learned. I am not really troubled by how he provided funding, loans or gifts, not bothered. I remember Harry Dolman used to get a lot of flack (not on this or any other internet forum!) for having similar ambition, and keeping the club afloat. He was around long enough to get a brilliant new stand built where nothing stood before and to see City play in the top flight, let's hope SL can eventually do the same (for new stand read new stadium or at least new AG!)

Out of the owners in the FL I think SL is the one I would want to have providing money for the club.

This. I would rather support a L2 team with an English owner who has a clear love of the club than a premier league side with foreign owners who have no loyalty or ties. If you don't like it then there is a Blue bowl full of red scarfs over the river waiting for you!

Very poor attempt at a hatchet job, do your research properly, ie: without preconcieved ideas about his intentions.

Nowhere does the OP say or allude or insinuate as to what SL's intentions are. He simply states what has happened and most of what he states is factually correct.

You just blamed SL for Tinnion failing. The only thing SL was guilty of was giving him the job in the first place. That Tinman was an utterly useless manager is not in SL's control.

Jordan that is so wrong. Of course Tinnion being out of his depth was in SL's control. As Chairman we trust SL to select an appropriate manager. "Trust me on Tinnion" said SL, and we did, and SL was wrong.

I have absolutely no doubt that he has the drive, ambition and wealth to bring success and his heart is the right place with regards to the club. The early GJ years especially 2006/7 and 2007/8 were great times, unfortunately followed by a serious losing of the plot until GJ went (not really SL's fault).

Agree with that except unfortunately SL did not have the bottle to rein Johnson back in when his ego started to take over. Had SL been stronger Johnson might well have gone down in history as the best manager we ever had and SL might well have gone down in history as the best Chairman. So that was 2 reputations and thousands of dreams in shatters hey ho life sucks sometimes!

I think I smell Gas, funny how stinging criticism comes from City fans who also just happen to be 'newbies'. :laugh:

Whinging newbies seem to be all over this forum at the moment.

Reminds me of when the new stadium to be built at Ashton Vale was first posted.

For example: the current debt to MR Lansdown is reported to be £41m. Can you tell me how this is ever likely to be repaid from current assets which are valued at £20m (Ashton Gate stadium). What I am saying is, those debts are never likely to be repaid, how could they? He's invested in the playing side and the long term future with the academy and has nothing so far to show for it. Perhaps one day the club will be worth £100m, if we ever reach the Premier League. But how much will it have cost him? He is trying to improve our club with his own money and do it sensibly, with controlled investment over time. I'm sure he's pretty peed off already, without people questioning if he's fleecing the club.

Thank You!

I think I smell Gas, funny how stinging criticism comes from City fans who also just happen to be 'newbies'. :laugh:

To be fair the OP has a very unhealthy knowledge of events of BCFC if he is gas. He has written a well thought out post and, as my earlier post shows I don't agree with too much of it, but I can certainly see why he has expressed his concerns.

They do stimulate interesting debate, though. Just typical that they don't have the balls to gloat openly but then I s'pose they know they'll take a pasting if they did that as it's just too easy for us. Going incognito represents a handicap to help balance the playing field.

As for SL, I don't think he's gonna leave us stranded.

'financial basket case', 'administration' - it's the ramblings of a deranged little sad sag.

Whinging newbies seem to be all over this forum at the moment.

Reminds me of when the new stadium to be built at Ashton Vale was first posted.

Just what I am thinking.

Once the plans are released you can imagine any anti stadium group will point the EP in the direction of OTIB, stating that half the fans don't want a new stadium etc.

Just because I am new to this forum & have strong views on SL doesn't make me gas. I have have these views for sometime. Any posts I have put on is simply trying to open people's eyes to the views I have & not once have I used offensive language toward any other user. To state that I support bristol rovers is pathetic & I have earned my right to say what the hell I want. 23 years of supporting this club, 14 years as a season ticket holder in the dolman, Countless always days. All I am asking is for people to open there eyes to what's really happening at OUR club.

Look at this clown and nickjs post history and you will see 90% all bashing

**** off to another club you sad sad people

We wouldn't of been in this league in the first place with our him

Fact

We wouldn't be getting a new or redeveloped ground

Fact

We wouldn't have a youth or training ground

Fact

Yes. He got us to within touching distance of the epl. Now you could argue that we did it by "selling ourselves" to Steve. But I personally think it was worth the crack and so does my Father who has followed us to the top flight and back and believes Steve is the best chairman in 30 odd years.

Now he's trying to make us sustainable, because we couldn't go on in that way. The trouble is our fan base dictates that we should be a top league 1 club or bottom of the championship, perhaps slightly lower perhaps slightly higher with the savings to be made joining up with BRFC. The transformation to a sustainable club would be best achieved if we can stay in the championship, which now looks tricky. So the next best scenario is to come straight back up ideally slashing players wages in the process resulting in a championship club with lower costs than now. Im surprised no one has asked Steve to what extent are we paying the price of not quite reaching the epl, maybe they did and I've not seen the answer.

My question is what exactly do some of our fans expect, a money tree?

Just because I am new to this forum & have strong views on SL doesn't make me gas. I have have these views for sometime. Any posts I have put on is simply trying to open people's eyes to the views I have & not once have I used offensive language toward any other user. To state that I support bristol rovers is pathetic & I have earned my right to say what the hell I want. 23 years of supporting this club, 14 years as a season ticket holder in the dolman, Countless always days. All I am asking is for people to open there eyes to what's really happening at OUR club.

I also believe you are gas. My opinion. Clever gas though. Fer play mind.

For me, in the grand scheme of things no.

Most of his tenure has been based on mistakes and cock ups, with fleeting highlights.

His vision for the clubs changes like the wind, but what stays the same throughout, is the rhetoric he fires out to apease the fans.

Bloke talks a good game, much like McInnes

They do stimulate interesting debate, though. Just typical that they don't have the balls to gloat openly but then I s'pose they know they'll take a pasting if they did that as it's just too easy for us. Going incognito represents a handicap to help balance the playing field.

As for SL, I don't think he's gonna leave us stranded.

'financial basket case', 'administration' - it's the ramblings of a deranged little sad sag.

Not really, its CITY fans concerned about the clubs future, as lets face it, its hardly going to plan is it? if you don't ask the questions, they will never get answered! i'd love to ONLY be positive, but in reality life doesn't work like that, there is pros and cons to EVERYTHING, including Bristol City Football Club.

For me, in the grand scheme of things no.

Most of his tenure has been based on mistakes and cock ups, with fleeting highlights.

His vision for the clubs changes like the wind, but what stays the same throughout, is the rhetoric he fires out to apease the fans.

Bloke talks a good game, much like McInnes

TRL is a gas head, the fact he has over 7,000 posts count for nothing, BOOOO!

Archived