IGNORED

"we May Have To Sell Jet" - Sod

Red Ferret

The club is very lucky to have fans like some of you guys. In what other branch of the entertainment industry would the departure of the star turn be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders? 

The only thing that might attract fans to the Gate at the moment is JET. After several seasons of dross City finally have a player with some semblance of star quality. If the approach of the club really is to sell off all the crowd pleasing assets to repay Lansdown's self-inflicted debt then it will be a very long time before the crowds start to build again.

Having personally blown the best chance in decades this club has had to establish itself at a decent standard in English football I'm amazed that SL gets as much support as he does.

I think SOD is alluding to using JET in a Bale/Spurs situation (obviously not to the same extent) - having to sell our best player so that the overall squad can improve, who can argue if we sell him if we get 2 or 3 good players in with the money? This is the ethos of what we are doing now, buy young sell for a profit then with the money buy young and sell for a profit .... Repeat.

This is the way out club should have been run for the last few years, we've lost money on all our big signings until now, I'm glad that we are taking this sensible approach.

I think SOD is alluding to using JET in a Bale/Spurs situation (obviously not to the same extent) - having to sell our best player so that the overall squad can improve, who can argue if we sell him if we get 2 or 3 good players in with the money? This is the ethos of what we are doing now, buy young sell for a profit then with the money buy young and sell for a profit .... Repeat.

This is the way out club should have been run for the last few years, we've lost money on all our big signings until now, I'm glad that we are taking this sensible approach.

I agree. Though he is going to have to find someone who can score goals at JET's rate, or 2 who score the equivalent number.

Sam Baldock used to be up front in a promotion chasing West Ham.

In the right structure with a genuine strike partner to feed off (as opposed to a bloke who has drifted about 30 yards further back or over to the wing) - then there is no reason in my mind why he can't play the role of our main striker.

Baldock don't make me laugh.

He was at West Ham but was behind the likes of Carlton Cole, Vaz Te and Micky Naymard.

Couldn't get in west ham for a reason, much like he has struggled to get in ours.

Over-rated and just not good enough, see how much we can flog him for in Jan I saw and let's keep hold of the jet.

I'm probably more astounded at the number of people to whom this came as a surprise!

The second the board knew we were Division 1 bound, then this was always going to be their "brave new world" (apologies to Adolus). Until we become financially more stable (end of next season), become almost self-sufficient as a football entity, then nothing will change.

Did some of you NOT expect JET to be off after his current upswing in form?

He really is the L1 standout player atm. People have always known he COULD be a good player, he's now showing it.

Reid, Bryan and Wynter are all earmarked for the same fate IMHO.

Lets be real here - if these lads come on, and they have all shown signs of being above average players, the who on this very forum, would not have taken the following offer?

Its July 2013 - do we keep Reid,Bryan,Wynter and Jet or accept 5 million for the 4?  99% would snatch it.

Just because they are showing what we hoped they could be, how does that change the equation in November?

We could pay some bills and buy 20 players with that money.

He's already sold - its just to who and how much.

I'm having a sneaky thought that Stoke City will come in for him @ 750k - that would probably be enough for a player who has just shown the first consistent batch of form of his career - playing for a team in financial tatters. Someone needs to have a word with young Bryan - he's getting noticed too!

For him though, I would hope, in time and if he continues to thrive and learn, that 750K would just be his deposit payment.

This is how small clubs survive. That's what we are folks - a small club. And until we get to the Prem and stay there, that's all we will ever be.

You all knew this when you signed on!

He doesn't seem to be a Mark Hughes type of player, nor a Stoke one. While SOD can allow him the luxury of strolling around because of his goals at this level. I've said elsewhere that he would be high risk for a Championship club given his track record at that level, much more so for a Prem club. Remember all the talk of Albert going to Swansea or whoever? Perhaps JET will join him at Boro?

The club is very lucky to have fans like some of you guys. In what other branch of the entertainment industry would the departure of the star turn be greeted with a shrug of the shoulders? 

The only thing that might attract fans to the Gate at the moment is JET. After several seasons of dross City finally have a player with some semblance of star quality. If the approach of the club really is to sell off all the crowd pleasing assets to repay Lansdown's self-inflicted debt then it will be a very long time before the crowds start to build again.

Having personally blown the best chance in decades this club has had to establish itself at a decent standard in English football I'm amazed that SL gets as much support as he does.

I agree yet in the current OTIB fanzine five out of six fans polled had Waggy as best player only one other, Alex, voting for JET while in the season player ratings he's down in an incredible 10th !  Maybe he just isn't as popular as some of us think ?

I agree yet in the current OTIB fanzine five out of six fans polled had Waggy as best player only one other, Alex, voting for JET while in the season player ratings he's down in an incredible 10th !  Maybe he just isn't as popular as some of us think ?

Or 5 out of 6 fans (not a very representative sample) are wrong, maybe?

What would generate more money?

Going for promotion with JET, But selling him if we miss out

Or

Selling JET in January and risking trying to buy another striker who can produce the same goals/game ratio

I say keep him and go for it, If we do go up it'll take a huge offer to take him away from us, At this rate he'll score 25-30 this season :o

I don't know why everyone's blaming Sean. He's just being honest. Managers don't get as much say, about who's sold and at what price, than most people think. If JET does leave, then the board should be accountable. To me it sounds like Sean is trying to prepare us for the harsh realities, so that he doesn't take everybody's anger come January.
Anyone that thinks we won't get any bids is deluded. Anyone who thinks we wouldn't listen to a good offer is deluded. Anyone who thinks a "good offer" is upward of 4 million is deluded (Unlike Jordan Rhodes, JET has already blotted his Championship copy, so between 2-3 million will be a "good offer").

The true measure of SO'D's management will not be whether JET stays or goes, but in whether he has identified a good replacement and whether we are robust enough to continue the revival after the jolt of losing JET.

What's the problem? He didn't even say those words in effect but even so he has to acknowledge reality.

People seriously need to wake up. JET is way way too good for L1 and us for that matter. We are not where we used to be.....let it go! Whilst we can still hold out for a good fee if a large offer came in we would simply have to sell.

Who knows, perhaps clubs might not even come in for him in jan? For him to be as effective elsewhere as he is here you have to more or less build the team around him and let him do what he wants. Are there many championship clubs that could afford him and would do that?

Also he might actually want to stay and play for us under SOD. Wishful thinking but we shall see. Let's just enjoy JET while he's here. The blokes different class.

If it was me I would do all I could to offload Baldock instead. That said we wouldn't get anything like what we would for JET.

• Admin

I don't quite agree with those who say he failed at Championship level. Any manager worth his salt will do a bit of research and note in his two spells in the Championship, he had one at Doncaster where he played in between midfield & attack and impressed & one at Ipswich where they stuck him out the way on the wing & by-and-large he failed to impress.

Back in his correct position, playing between midfield & attack, he is now showing exactly what he can do & I think it's naive to think there isn't a lot of Championship clubs that could accommodate him in a 451 or as a deep lying striker in a 442. If they sign him to stick him on the wing then they deserve the P45 that will one day come their way.

Archived