IGNORED

Nelson Mandela

Roger Red Hat

FYI that's leftwing bollox, there is little evidence to support this it started on facebook.

Other than people who knew Osborbe at Oxford. The FCS - at the time led by BBC political editor Nick Robinson - DID produce Hang Mandela t-shirts (I've seen them) and Gideon's contemporaries said he had one.

He had an interesting time at "varsity"; living with a Colombian prostitute and being keen on the odd gramme of "Nigella".

Just imagine the Mail if a Milliband had led a similar youth?!

Other than people who knew Osborbe at Oxford. The FCS - at the time led by BBC political editor Nick Robinson - DID produce Hang Mandela t-shirts (I've seen them) and Gideon's contemporaries said he had one.

He had an interesting time at "varsity"; living with a Colombian prostitute and being keen on the odd gramme of "Nigella".

Just imagine the Mail if a Milliband had led a similar youth?!

Wow that would stretch even TFR's imagination, funny as ****.

Well how deep do you want to go ? I'll start by saying I'd imagine a lot of black players, for instance, are inspired by him. Anyway why should English football be so insular ?

English football should just concentrate on English football. There are other arenas for discussing events of sociological or political interest. There are too mamy of these sentimental silences or minutes applauses these days. They are mostly all bullshit. Everybody is going to die one day. He's been brain dead for some time.

Considering it hasn't quite got as bad as Zimbabwe, and the fact it is safe to go on holiday. I think it's better than back when Mandela was trying to change this don't you?

Hmmm you think? Not many countries, in fact none where car hire companies warn you to stay in gear at traffic lights at night because of car jackings. Only country I have been to with car jacking hot spot warning signs.

Edit

I forgot to mention the great whites :)

English football should just concentrate on English football. There are other arenas for discussing events of sociological or political interest. There are too mamy of these sentimental silences or minutes applauses these days. They are mostly all bullshit. Everybody is going to die one day. He's been brain dead for some time.

English football hasn't concentrated on English football for years The Premier League is now 70% foreign for instance.

We are constantly told it's a " global brand" now and has a massive following in countries like South Africa,for instance!

But I do agree with you re the minute silences/applauses and think they should only be for major disasters or someone from your own club that has passed away.

On the news now people are gathering at Nelson Mandela House...oop, there's Del Boy come out to tell them all to **** Off!

Peace and reconciliation no matter what went before is what he'll be remembered for, by most anyway. 

The boy sure had a bit of thinking time, didn't he?

Cold.

Cold.

Is it?

I have heard stories from our extended family that had loved ones killed by Mandela's off shoot of the ANC. If they were at the game, what do reckon their opinion of the minutes silence would be?

Apparently they were in the wrong shopping centre at the wrong time.

Mr Mandela used to be cold and calculating. I am sure there are those out there that remember that side, over the forgiving side of a elderly man.

I kniw this has deviated from football minutes silence per se. But not everyone will agree with it is the point I am making, so a minutes silence should not be forced on people.

Is it?

I have heard stories from our extended family that had loved ones killed by Mandela's off shoot of the ANC. If they were at the game, what do reckon their opinion of the minutes silence would be?

Apparently they were in the wrong shopping centre at the wrong time.

Mr Mandela used to be cold and calculating. I am sure there are those out there that remember that side of the forgiving side of a elderly man.

I kniw this has deviated from football minutes silence per se. But not everyone will agree with it is the point I am making, so a minutes silence should not be forced on people.

It's a minute's applause, if anyone doesn't want to clap they have that option.

I don't agree with a minutes silence or applause for any politician ( unless they had had something to do with Bristol city ) I was strongly opposed to suggestions of a minutes silence for Thatcher and although in general my political sympathys lie far more with mandela than Thatcher, I think honouring politicians of any political persuasion is bound to cause division amongst our support, _ an haven't we got enough of that already ?

I don't agree with a minutes silence or applause for any politician ( unless they had had something to do with Bristol city ) I was strongly opposed to suggestions of a minutes silence for Thatcher and although in general my political sympathys lie far more with mandela than Thatcher, I think honouring politicians of any political persuasion is bound to cause division amongst our support, _ an haven't we got enough of that already ?

You ca't say he was just a politician though, OK he was President for three years but was 76 at the time of the election having spent most of the previous 30 years behind bars. Was not a politician, certainly in the coventional sense, before that in fact I think he was a lawyer.

Yes,He was a lawyer, but he was also a political activist, it was for political activism that he was imprisoned, one can argue all night about whether his activism was expressed in the right way, but at the time he was imprisoned their was no way that coloured people in south africa could organise, or express their political opinion in a conventional way, but after his release the o rganisation that he was a member of was recognised as a legitimate political party, and as their leader he was elected as president, whatever his other attributes that makes him a politician in my book.

You ca't say he was just a politician though, OK he was President for three years but was 76 at the time of the election having spent most of the previous 30 years behind bars. Was not a politician, certainly in the coventional sense, before that in fact I think he was a lawyer.

Lawyer, activist, prisoner, Prime Minister - they do say there's no such thing as a 'job for life' anymore.

But he's up there with Lincoln, Ghandi, Therasa and all that crew in terms of legendary (genuine meaning, not popularist) status and his impact on humanity. Not just 'a politician'.

Hmmm you think? Not many countries, in fact none where car hire companies warn you to stay in gear at traffic lights at night because of car jackings. Only country I have been to with car jacking hot spot warning signs.

Edit

I forgot to mention the great whites :)

Agreed there are a lot of gangs, just stay on the tour route and you can't go wrong. A girl i used to work with got held at gunpoint in Peru for money just by going 5 minutes off course. She was lucky that was all they wanted.

Lawyer, activist, prisoner, Prime Minister - they do say there's no such thing as a 'job for life' anymore.

But he's up there with Lincoln, Ghandi, Therasa and all that crew in terms of legendary (genuine meaning, not popularist) status and his impact on humanity. Not just 'a politician'.

'Er, that's not all Ghandi...that's from the time when me and Magz embraced the home-video phenonemon..."

Mandela was a force for good and a great leader, but not a politician.

Nelson was a man of the highest integrity with strong beliefs and principles; forgiving, wise, dignified and humble.

None of these apply to politicians.

Politicians are power-hungry, self-serving liars with inflated egos.

RIP Nelson Mandela.

A lot of the sentiment on this thread is proof that the world is not a fair place: NOT FAIR at all .............   :disapointed2se:

Mandela gets a state funeral, and all SOD got was the door hitting him on the arse on the way out.

Life is cruel indeed.

Archived