IGNORED

Steve Cotterill On The Natch Wall

EnclosureSurge

Good stuff!

I've said it before on other threads today and I'll say it again here...

I like what I've seen and heard from him so far. His passion, determination and enthusiasm is infectious. It can't help but get an improvement out of some of our players. The question is, how long can it be sustained for..?

I was hardly thrilled at his appointment, as I told him, but I ask everyone to judge him on what he does from here on in. Give him a bit of time to have a fair crack at the job and see where we go.

There is alot more substance to SC than I would have ever given him credit for and i'm hoping that he might be just what we have been looking for.

Good blog ES!

Good stuff!

I've said it before on other threads today and I'll say it again here...

I like what I've seen and heard from him so far. His passion, determination and enthusiasm is infectious. It can't help but get an improvement out of some of our players. The question is, how long can it be sustained for..?

I was hardly thrilled at his appointment, as I told him, but I ask everyone to judge him on what he does from here on in. Give him a bit of time to have a fair crack at the job and see where we go.

There is alot more substance to SC than I would have ever given him credit for and i'm hoping that he might be just what we have been looking for.

Good blog ES!

How did he take that out of interest?

How did he take that out of interest?

He asked why?, I said that in honesty, I hadn't followed his career very closely, but a widely held perception was that he championed "hoofball" and was very basic in his footballing phillosophies.

The things he had already talked about had allayed many of those misconceptions, in my mind. On the contary, he travels europe in his own time at his own expense watching games, arranging trips to monitor training techniques, arraning meeting with foreign coaches to quiz them on their tactics and game plans.

I was taken aback at just how tactically astute he was and felt rather foolish at having taken it at face value that he was nothing more than a longball merchant, bully boy style manager.

It really was fascinating stuff.

He asked why?, I said that in honesty, I hadn't followed his career very closely, but a widely held perception was that he championed "hoofball" and was very basic in his footballing phillosophies.

The things he had already talked about had allayed many of those misconceptions, in my mind. On the contary, he travels europe in his own time at his own expense watching games, arranging trips to monitor training techniques, arraning meeting with foreign coaches to quiz them on their tactics and game plans.

I was taken aback at just how tactically astute he was and felt rather foolish at having taken it at face value that he was nothing more than a longball merchant, bully boy style manager.

It really was fascinating stuff.

Interesting, well done for telling him! Invoked an interesting answer anyway..

Very interesting article Surge.

'The signs are good that we may have a return to the much beloved wide man. McLaughlin's name cropped up and he'd already impressed in training.'

Who mentioned McLaughlin - Cotterill or a fan?

Did anyone mention Wes Burns?

Very interesting article Surge.

'The signs are good that we may have a return to the much beloved wide man. McLaughlin's name cropped up and he'd already impressed in training.'

Who mentioned McLaughlin - Cotterill or a fan?

Did anyone mention Wes Burns?

I mentioned both. SC appeared to aknowledge that he had already seen that McLaughlin had shown signs in what he had already seen that he is one of our few out and out wingers that will be quick, direct and get delivery into the right areas. 

I think it was generally agreed by those within earshot that he probably isn't upto 90 mins every week, but is someone who could/should be utilised more than he has been, based on people limited viewings of him so far.

Re: Wes Burns, it was mentioned and aknowledged that he was "a big lad" for his age and his pace is an asset (obviously) he wasn't spoken about in any more detail than that.

Another interesting view from SC was how he liked his players to have proven what roles they can play within a team.

He is definitely more focused on the team tactics, rather than the formation that it is described as on paper.

He likes a striker who can play up top on his own, because if he can do this, he can easily cope with being part of 2 up front.

Likewise, with midfielders, he likes those that can comfortably cope in a midfield (central) 2, rather than someone who has been effective in a 5-3-2, 4-3-3 etc, because they can often be found to struggle if asked to play in a 4-4-2. he used Charlie Adam as an example of this.

Interesting stuff. Im warming to the bloke I have to say, just hope he gets the results to get us out of this mess. The next 4 games are all winnable, if we can get between 8-12 points we can look to push on in the new year. Interesting that he wants some more loan players in, wonder if we will see any qpr loanees in jan!?

Interesting stuff. Im warming to the bloke I have to say, just hope he gets the results to get us out of this mess. The next 4 games are all winnable, if we can get between 8-12 points we can look to push on in the new year. Interesting that he wants some more loan players in, wonder if we will see any qpr loanees in jan!?

I specifically asked him about transfers and he stressed that he would ONLY buy players in that are better than what we had. (came about after I asked him if the Tamworth BC double barrell name, something-Everton, was the type of player than he might look at. He said "No. He is no better than what we have")

Of course, that is not always possible, or within budget, so the alternative is to bring in a loan player to compete for a position. They might not be better than what we have, but by bringing them in, it might spur on the current incumbant of that position and get a bit of needed competition to freshen the team/specific player up.

I mentioned both. SC appeared to aknowledge that he had already seen that McLaughlin had shown signs in what he had already seen that he is one of our few out and out wingers that will be quick, direct and get delivery into the right areas. 

I think it was generally agreed by those within earshot that he probably isn't upto 90 mins every week, but is someone who could/should be utilised more than he has been, based on people limited viewings of him so far.

Re: Wes Burns, it was mentioned and aknowledged that he was "a big lad" for his age and his pace is an asset (obviously) he wasn't spoken about in any more detail than that.

Cheers Bar, and good point raised to SC.

I'm disappointed if McLaughlin appears to be ahead of Wes in Cotterill's pecking order.

I was impressed with Burns last season so tend to hope we're not looking to sign another not much older winger on an extended deal who may block his progress.

May be being unfair on McLaughlin, haven't seen much of him but he doesn't merit inclusion above Burns from what I've seen.

Thanks for feedback, how was it being Merserwhateverhisname is ?

Presumably Fonts & Killa are still due for the exit ?

Knowing him as I do, I would say that "ExplosiveSerge" is definitely a blend of Fonts and Killa, with a pinch of Fernando Redondo (or Ray Atteveld), a twist of Lee Johnson, a hint of Bobby Reid (in his dreams) and finally, a big splodge of that Andy Smockhausen. Chucked in a rusty old tin and over-cooked for 4 - 5 hours.

Again, I did ask about Fonts and Killa (I did try to get in all the questions that I could think of, either my own, or ones that I had seen people ask on here)

I asked if either would have a chance of featuring or had to many bridges been burnt between them, the club and/or the fanbase and he kind of implied that they won't be back here, without saying so in as many words...

Quite dizzifying, I have to say, Eco.

Sat in the middle of the row of Jon L, David L, Doug Harman, Adam Baker etc, Cotterill started off by saying "if he was the left-back and he was the right-back" indicating a couple of FP members on the corners of the square arrangement of tables, and I thought, 'Aye aye, we've got one here...'

And we have.

Not only did he use me and Bar BS3 as salt 'n' pepper pot style figures (he pushed it real good), but he kept taking all the best roles for himself: Baldock, Premiership striker... Me & Bar just ended up as clodding old Merterwossisname and some other centre-halves.

Even when I said I'd run me socks off in his tableau showing defensive 2 v 1, he still didn't give me a better role.

I'm still dizzied now. Boy does he like to talk tactics.

Quite dizzifying, I have to say, Eco.

Sat in the middle of the row of Jon L, David L, Doug Harman, Adam Baker etc, Cotterill started off by saying "if he was the left-back and he was the right-back" indicating a couple of FP members on the corners of the square arrangement of tables, and I thought, 'Aye aye, we've got one here...'

And we have.

Not only did he use me and Bar BS3 as salt 'n' pepper pot style figures (he pushed it real good), but he kept taking all the best roles for himself: Baldock, Premier League striker... Me & Bar just ended up as clodding old Merterwossisname and some other centre-halves.

Even when I said I'd run me socks off in his tableau showing defensive 2 v 1, he still didn't give me a better role.

I'm still dizzied now. Boy does he like to talk tactics.

Haha, shame he hadn't seen Sir Les' testemonial above, you may have been better deployed.

Haha, shame he hadn't seen Sir Les' testemonial above, you may have been better deployed.

Les Q's giving me a testimonial after my performance last night with SC?

That'd be a first - I don't remember Sir Les ever allowing gate receipts out of his sweaty, grubby palms for anyone else!

Steady, Eco. You'll give old Les a big head.

• Admin

The article, Steve Nostrill took me back, I'm sure that was the name of one of Stan Arnold's Combo - look it up on youtube, especially the song called Anal Love. Mild stuff now, but back then in a small club after a few beers it was a good night out. I've still got the albums on vinyl..... Somewhere.

Back on topic, Cotterill has at least injected some enthusiasm and given his previous record, I am somewhat more optimistic than I was with SO'D's dismal run.

The article, Steve Nostrill took me back, I'm sure that was the name of one of Stan Arnold's Combo - look it up on youtube, especially the song called Anal Love. Mild stuff now, but back then in a small club after a few beers it was a good night out. I've still got the albums on vinyl..... Somewhere.

Back on topic, Cotterill has at least injected some enthusiasm and given his previous record, I am somewhat more optimistic than I was with SO'D's dismal run.

Never heard of them, Maesknoll, you old Iron Age hillfort, you.

That said, you got me interested now.

Not that I'm in to ©anal love or budgie smuggling or owt like that, you know.

Pretty sure Sir Les will have something to say about that (budgies and smuggling, that is, not the former. Tories never get involved in [c]anals).

Les?

• Admin

Never heard of them, Maesknoll, you old Iron Age hillfort, you.

That said, you got me interested now.

Not that I'm in to ©anal love or budgie smuggling or owt like that, you know.

Pretty sure Sir Les will have something to say about that (budgies and smuggling, that is, not the former. Tories never get involved in [c]anals).

Les?

I think Stan and his Combo couldn't be further from anything involving budgie smuggling.......

I think Stan and his Combo couldn't be further from anything involving budgie smuggling.......

I've reached me quota of likes for the day, Maesknoll, unfortunately. Consider it one in lieu. Or Looe, if you prefer.

Not budgie smuggling you say...

Tobacco smuggling?

As Rudyard said, 

IF you wake at midnight, and hear a horse's feet,

Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street,

Them that ask no questions isn't told a lie.

Watch the wall my darling while the Cheltenham Gentlemen go by

Classic poem. Surely they smuggle summat...?

(Poetry on otib! Whaddya reckon Our Kid? Almost as good as that picture of David Gower flying over Oz in his tigermoth, look!)

There was a brief discussion about people (not those at the meeting) with the perception that the fans parliament is just an exercise, and that some of those attending had been accused of kissing the clubs arse, at which point Steve Cotterill joked "when is this happening" and I said if he kept us up I would come and do it. :blink:

lets get 15 games under our collective belts and see if any warmth is coming through then..the window and its idiosyncrasies can be an unreliable bedfellow that can affect a warm glow-or an arctic blast!!!!...again,lets wait and see....   

I've got to literally kiss his arse if he keeps us up this season! :o

Will this be in Burton's window?

It'll be on The Natch Wall, literally (not virtually) surely? Possibly. Not if it's windy. Or Dolly is busy.

Personally, I am crushed by the thought of this. That's it between Dolly and Sir Les. And I hope we go down now.....

Archived