IGNORED

Football Cliches

Major Isewater

The standard of cliches have gone down hill in recent years. We used to get classics such as:

Game of two halves

The boy done good

It was much better when I was a lad.

(Sorry I've just realised that's a cliche)

The best corrective is to remember that most fans are not morons. They should be treated like adults.

Whilst I enjoyed your post Reg and agree with all of those cliches being either ridiculous/outdated I had to highlight this point.

I would argue that most fans are morons and are entirely capable of moronic outbursts. The amount of times down the gate this season I have been completely baffled by what I have heard said by fellow fans sitting nearby the more and more I begin to believe that some simply don't have a good enough understanding of modern football or are setting their expectations too high considering the level we find ourselves playing at.

Whilst I enjoyed your post Reg and agree with all of those cliches being either ridiculous/outdated I had to highlight this point.

I would argue that most fans are morons and are entirely capable of moronic outbursts. The amount of times down the gate this season I have been completely baffled by what I have heard said by fellow fans sitting nearby the more and more I begin to believe that some simply don't have a good enough understanding of modern football or are setting their expectations too high considering the level we find ourselves playing at.

Thanks for your input Sean,good luck with your coaching career.

Not exactly a cliche (?) but when a player is sent off, commentators often say that it's more difficult to play against 10 men. If that's the case why don't managers surprise the opposition by starting with 10 men? Or really confuse them by starting with 9?

I like the curious cliches employed by tabloid papers. E.G: "The wantaway midfielder vows to beat the Memorial Ground boo-boys...."

Since when have you ever heard: "The wantaway accountant vowed to beat the financial director boo-boy."

Not all cliches but things said by managers/pundits/commentators that annoy me

"Corridor of uncertainty"

Teams showing "character"

The term "false 9"

Players "being entitled to go down" / "buying a foul" / "being clever" when they get the faintest of touches. Terms that I would describe as cheating

"Every game is a cup final"

Archived