IGNORED

Football Cliches

Major Isewater

Clubs always "swoop " to sign a player ! When was the last time anyone "swooped" in real life ?

I like the interview with the new signing who insists his new club ,whichever that may be,is a "big/ massive club".

Robbie Keane comes to mind ................ "It was always a boyhood dream of mine to play for Dagenham & Redbridge"

Clubs always "swoop " to sign a player ! When was the last time anyone "swooped" in real life ?

I like the interview with the new signing who insists his new club ,whichever that may be,is a "big/ massive club".

I suppose it does sound better than "Manchester United flounced in to sign Messi"

This game's a six pointer.

The cup is a great leveller.

It's all to play for.

When a manager says his players gave 110 per cent. No they didn't - it's mathematically impossible!

The romance of the cup

That's what football is all about.

Not necessarily a cliche, but something i hear more and more and really gets up my nose:  Football clubs referred to as 'projects'   :grr:

Or brands!

It also does my head in when they say (eg.) "Bristol City needs to win" when it should be "Bristol City need to win" - seems like an Americanism, I knows it's not a cliche but it still grates.

No. "needs" is right. Collective noun - singular verb.

Ones I miss are "Hospital ball" and "telegraphed" - seem to have disappeared from the commentators' lexicon

Perhaps we could replace "telegraphed" with "texted".

EDIT - or "placed a message on Facebook"

Me neither. Not interested in grammatical correctness, it's only recently that it's crept in. And I don't like it.

Please make it stop.

We only see why grammar is important when a poster kicks off a huge debate because his message was n't clear and the wrong end of the stick is easily seized by some on here.

So in short it's very important for written communication .

You would n't say "plants needs water" ( unless you are Bristolian! )

It would be plants need water.

My needs are many .

Plants isn't a collective noun, it's a plural.

Bunch is a collective noun, and it's quite correct to say a bunch of plants needs water.

You would n't say "plants needs water" ( unless you are Bristolian! )

It would be plants need water.

My needs are many .

Plants isn't a collective noun, it's a plural.

Bunch is a collective noun, and it's quite correct to say a bunch of plants needs water.

Archived