IGNORED

Memories Of The Hatters

cityexile

Congrats to Luton, who are confirmed as promoted this evening, and will be replacing somebody or other from league two next year...

Seems to be a team I remember going to a fair bit. Odd ground, with one side seemingly boxes in my memory. Last game I recall was some years back when we needed a win late on in the season to push on to the play offs. 2-0 down, then back to 2-2, good chance to get the winner late on, then lost. Their fans seemed to from memory be very loudly of the view that Tony Thorpes mother gave favours for money, if you can believe that.

Their fans have been through the ringer a bit, never much liked them, but pleased to see an old name back.

I remember us getting battered 5-0 when Tins was in charge. Steve Howard, he always had a stormer against us.

That was the infamous Tony Dinning game, subbed inside half an hour and ever played for us again..

Remember a very poor Anglo Italian cup game with 93 away fans!

I was there, Martin Scott was trying to give complimentary tickets away outside before the game, but as you had to have a ticket in advance in those days he had no takers. And they tried to make you sit in the seat your ticket was for!

Happy hunting ground for me. Seen us win 3-0, win 1-0 (Baird giving City fans abuse when he scored the winner) and a 2-2 draw.

One game a group of us went into a pub near the ground for a pre-match pint and it was full of lads. Everyone turned to look at us, it all went quiet, music stopped. I was sure it was about to kick off and then barman asked us to leave as it was a Gay bar!

Wasnt it more than 5? I remember walking out before half time as the fourth went in...

I thought it was 6-0!

My other memory of Luton is being filmed by a host of Luton's finest and then searched at the turnstile.  Felt like I was breaking into Colditz but it wasn't that nice inside.

I thought it was 6-0!

My other memory of Luton is being filmed by a host of Luton's finest and then searched at the turnstile. Felt like I was breaking into Colditz but it wasn't that nice inside.

Think thats right. 5 0 by the half time whistle.

Went back to the pub (pretty much the only one in luton that hadnt been turned into a mosque) and they wouldn't let us in so it got a bit rowdy...

Nil nil draw at Kenilworth Road in the 75/76 promotion season. Jimmy Mann thumped the bar from 30 yards with a typical SuperMann special.

I think it was the same season against Luton when a City fan was left fighting for his life after the infamous pre match meat cleaver attack in the Open End at AG.

Equalised in the last minute at their place to make it 2-2, only for them to go up the other end to nick it 3-2. I think Danny Coles scored a header from a corner in-front of us...can't quite remember though. 

Always enjoyed their ground, though!

Been there a couple of times. Worst away ground I've been too. Literally had to stand as the seats are designed for people who are 5 foot!

Not sure of the scores but remember tinman score a penalty and a matt hill thunderbolt crash against the bar! The locals got upset by our songs and threw food at the away end from the boxes!!

I was mascot there went up on jnr reds last game we were allowed to go to as we was reaching the age limit went to the pub and had a few pints only to get a phone call to say the lad who was ment to be mascot didn't want to do and my name was drawn next quite funny looking back 3 pints at 15 was enough :laugh: remember tins asking if I had been drinking :laugh:

"Stand up if you can't sit down".

2-1 win there on a Tuesday night just two days after our Wembley appearance v Stoke in 2000. There was hardly any of us there but created a great atmosphere.

The 2-2 draw there under Wilson when Tinnion scored that pen and went mental in front of us only for Steve bloody Howard to score a late equaliser.

Pulled over on the motorway afterwards as I spoke to Jonathan Pearce on 606 and recall boldy predicting we'd still win promotion. Lost to Cardiff in the play off semi as it turned out...

Archived