IGNORED

Memories Of The Hatters

cityexile

We should be taking a look at their striker Andre Gray.

22 years old and 27 goals this season.

very similar to Akindie's record in the confiance or Stuart Fleetwood, score for fun in the conference but massive flops once they play in the football league,

very similar to Akindie's record in the confiance or Stuart Fleetwood, score for fun in the conference but massive flops once they play in the football league,

According to Wikipedia Gray played 4 games in league 2, and he was 18 back then.. There is no way you can compare him to Akinde

"Stand up if you can't sit down".

2-1 win there on a Tuesday night just two days after our Wembley appearance v Stoke in 2000. There was hardly any of us there but created a great atmosphere.

The 2-2 draw there under Wilson when Tinnion scored that pen and went mental in front of us only for Steve bloody Howard to score a late equaliser.

Pulled over on the motorway afterwards as I spoke to Jonathan Pearce on 606 and recall boldy predicting we'd still win promotion. Lost to Cardiff in the play off semi as it turned out...

That 2-2 was the game I was on about. Convinced we lost 3-2? Did Danny Coles score our first from a corner ?

Without looking it up believe it was around the 69/70 period.

I think supermac/ malcolm mcdonald scored two and then we had another of our customary second half fightbacks kicking towards the eastend.

I was at that game - Viv Busby played for them. What a fight back. I remember singing "we're proud of you" at the end. Didn't Keith Curle get sent off as well or is my age getting the better of me?

I remember getting there for an FA cup game and it being called off when we arrived!

Just left home for re-arranged game - and heard on radio, that too was called off!

Went to actual game - and lost 2:0? Matt Bryant sent off?

I remember taking the piss out of a G*s mate when he went away twice only for both games to be called off.

Roll on a few years and for the first game above we just left the pub when we found out , and the second we just got a pint when we were told. 

Ended up at Watford watching Wolves dismantle them about 5-0, one of the coldest days ever and among celebrating midlanders  :blink:

The first time I was in charge of the football fans' guide for directions, one of the few grounds with significantly different directions from North than from South.As a 7 (possibly 8) year old being a Bristol City fan, travelling south from Birmingham to get to Luton confused me and we ended up running a long way to the ground missing kick off having finally parked :facepalm: (things have improved significantly since then)

Second time, I went up with my old man we got there really early, no food available till half time. I think this trip saw a 3-0 win; geezer with a bugle very close to us (guess he was the dolman bugler), and we missed the first half of a fundraising quiz due to Luton being impossible to move around when everybody leaves Kenilworth Road.

It's about as aesthetically pleasing as Gillingham, Burnley or Bradford.

Anyone seen their player Steve Mcnulty? Looks like some bloke down the pub decided to put on a football shirt and say he's a professional footballer

Yes!! He's decent at that level though for a big lump:

Also scored an absolute blockbuster earlier this season:

Great game one of the best I have ever seen when Malcolm McDonald had scored 2 to put them 2.0 up at half time we were trying to avoid relegation came back to win 3.2 Chris garland and jerry Gow had great games . Pitch was heavy they ere looking for promotion .

There was I think 18000 there that day never forgot when we got the winner my late dad who rarely stood up jump out hie seat went crazy. And a vicar sat in front of us was crying his eyes out .

Early 70's 2 down at half time and coming back to win 3-2? Peter Spiring getting the winner? Help please!

Early '73 a couple of coaches of us lads went to Luton,  got pulled in by the police after someone paint sprayed the toilets

of a pub we stopped in on the way up, we went in the side next to their end,  won 3-2,  Donnie Gillies scored an absolute screamer, went in their supporters club after, Donnie's brother (Steve?) was with us enjoying himself!

"Stand up if you can't sit down".

2-1 win there on a Tuesday night just two days after our Wembley appearance v Stoke in 2000. There was hardly any of us there but created a great atmosphere.

The 2-2 draw there under Wilson when Tinnion scored that pen and went mental in front of us only for Steve bloody Howard to score a late equaliser.

Pulled over on the motorway afterwards as I spoke to Jonathan Pearce on 606 and recall boldy predicting we'd still win promotion. Lost to Cardiff in the play off semi as it turned out...

Is the 2-2 draw the game I drove us to?! I also remember that gave in 2000 after Wembley...

I think I've been 3 or 4 times, lovely ground in a quirky way. My most memorable moment was a guy getting kicked out for smashing a light whilst chucking a ball about in the stands pre match, very harsh!!!!

Is the 2-2 draw the game I drove us to?! I also remember that gave in 2000 after Wembley...

I think I've been 3 or 4 times, lovely ground in a quirky way. My most memorable moment was a guy getting kicked out for smashing a light whilst chucking a ball about in the stands pre match, very harsh!!!!

Yes mate, when I got booted out the car in the wind and rain to speak to JP!

Akinde did not score for fun in the Conference, go and check your facts! And Fleetwood had one decent season at FGR.

Gray scored 17 last season as well - go away and actually look at his record, his age, his pace and tell me he's not worth a look! He'll be banging them in next season as well...

We should be taking a look at their striker Andre Gray.

22 years old and 27 goals this season.

Monkeh - Andre Gray is NOTHING like Akinde.

I've watched Gray a number of times and really rate him.  He's quick, strong, mobile, great work rate and a good finisher.  I'd more liken him to Assombalonga than Akinde.

He's exactly the sort of young lower league talent we should be looking at.  Best player in the Conference by a country mile.

Kin orrible place... 

Although I can understand a few of the "quaint" features of the ground being appealing however being made to sit with your knees up round your ears is not one of them....I suppose entering through someone's back yard is.....(ooh er missus)

Recall one game where a group of their "boys" were "giving it large" all through the game then at the final whistle stood up & waved goodbye

Home town of the BNP is it not? ..... many reasons around there for why they formed I guess...

Monkeh - Andre Gray is NOTHING like Akinde.

I've watched Gray a number of times and really rate him.  He's quick, strong, mobile, great work rate and a good finisher.  I'd more liken him to Assombalonga than Akinde.

He's exactly the sort of young lower league talent we should be looking at.  Best player in the Conference by a country mile.

I'll echo this as I've watched him closely a few times myself over the past two seasons & he's got the lot. Gray will score lots of goals in L2 for sure. Arsenal were scouting him just a few months ago & I know Pboro have been all over him (then again they are over all the non leagues hottest property).

That Monkeh chap really does chat some verbal diarrhea on here.

I'll echo this as I've watched him closely a few times myself over the past two seasons & he's got the lot. Gray will score lots of goals in L2 for sure. Arsenal were scouting him just a few months ago & I know Pboro have been all over him (then again they are over all the non leagues hottest property).

That Monkeh chap really does chat some verbal diarrhea on here.

With the right scouting system and right coaching you can unearth some real gems in the non league, look at Jamie Vardy for Leicester. I just watched some of his goals on youtube, he does seem to be a fantastic player, and only 22 as well.

I have horrible memories of the place.

First visit in 2003, we went 1-0 down early on.. Came back to lead 2-1 which would have been a vital win in our promotin push but didnt hold on and it finished 2-2.

Went again almost exactly a year later.. Came back from 2-0 down to equalise in the last minute only to concede again straight from the kick off. I kicked a trashcan over on my way out of the away end, I was a very angry communist dictator that day.

The following year we lost 5-0.

Not a happy hunting ground for us at all.

same game they confiscated the bog roll you were trying to sneak in!

You can't write off all lower league players based on that! There's definitely more Michael Kightly or Jamie Vardys to be found despite not all of them making the grade

Also Akinde scored nowhere near that at Ebbsfleet in 2 seasons. 6 and 2 goals in 2 seasons.

Back in the 60s when I was still at school some drunken Celtic fan (are any of them sober?) tried to force me to give him my City scarf at Luton. Not sure what he was doing there but some of the "respected" City crew intervened. He took one look at them and was never seen again.

Totally different - Eric Morecombe was a well know Luton fan. We've got Stoney Garnet! Pity Stoney didn't get elected as mayor of Bristol as I'm sure he would have done a better job than the infamous red trousers.

Archived