IGNORED

Results That Should N't Stand

Major Isewater

This won't be a popular choice, but our historic win at Liverpool in the cup. this was at the time Grobbelaar was fixing matches, and nobody will ever convince me that some of his decision making that day were totally straight. Remember how he came rushing out of his goal to clear the ball from the touchline, and gave it straight to one of ours, and that Tinman goal. Every time I see it I think his position is totally wrong for a top class keeper.

Away to Orient 1975, Possee was so far offside  he was nearly in Middlesex !. Had we won that, we'd probably got promoted a year earlier .

Wasn't that the one where the floodlights failed - HOORAY!

But they fixed them - BOO!!!!

Just watched the news about the Taffs appeal. Why do the gents on t'other side of the Severn 'bleat' about everything being against them, shouldnt have come over here and nicked our miners jobs all those years ago. You reap what you sow. Championship awaits you boys. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Just watched the news about the Taffs appeal. Why do the gents on t'other side of the Severn 'bleat' about everything being against them, shouldnt have come over here and nicked our miners jobs all those years ago. You reap what you sow. Championship awaits you boys. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Still don't like having to pay to get into Wales.

This won't be a popular choice, but our historic win at Liverpool in the cup. this was at the time Grobbelaar was fixing matches, and nobody will ever convince me that some of his decision making that day were totally straight. Remember how he came rushing out of his goal to clear the ball from the touchline, and gave it straight to one of ours, and that Tinman goal. Every time I see it I think his position is totally wrong for a top class keeper.

Agreed, but he wasn't.  He was a character but not a top class keeper.

There's no way Grobbelaar attempted to throw that game, if he had there's no way he'd have passed straight to Liam Robinson of all people.

Scottish FA Cup in the 1800's; Aberdeen 36 - Bon Accord 0. The Ref's watch (reportedly) stopped and the game lasted 2 hours instead of 90 minutes.

The Euro Championships in Portugal. England seemingly scored a winner against the hosts, but the Ref disallowed it.

Scottish FA Cup in the 1800's; Aberdeen 36 - Bon Accord 0. The Ref's watch (reportedly) stopped and the game lasted 2 hours instead of 90 minutes.

The Euro Championships in Portugal. England seemingly scored a winner against the hosts, but the Ref disallowed it.

Must have been Fergie's first match with Fergie time !

Coventry 1 Bristol City 1.

Both sides in danger of relegation. Jimmy Hill and Alan Dicks agree to start 15 mins late so that they can see the other results, and then when a point each was enough played out a draw so sending Sunderland down.

Sunderland still have a grudge against Coventry for that but don't seem too bothered by our part in it.

Both sides in danger of relegation. Jimmy Hill and Alan Dicks agree to start 15 mins late so that they can see the other results, and then when a point each was enough played out a draw so sending Sunderland down.

Sunderland still have a grudge against Coventry for that but don't seem too bothered by our part in it.

Coventry went 2-0 up and City dug deep and fought back to level the scores at 2-2. It was only for the final five minutes when the game ceased to be competitive after Jimmy Hill had the scoreboard flash up Everton 3, Sunderland 0.

Coventry went 2-0 up and City dug deep and fought back to level the scores at 2-2. It was only for the final five minutes when the game ceased to be competitive after Jimmy Hill had the scoreboard flash up Everton 3, Sunderland 0.

Tip of the hat to somebody who was actually there to see it :clap:

And  Sunderland have struggled ever since  :whistle2:

One of the ones I went to. Officially kicked off late as there were so many City fans still trying to get in. There were thousands and thousands of us that day - motorway really did feel like a red army on the move.

To say we played out a draw to keep us both up - well it did not seem that way at the time. As has been said, we were 2-0 down, and seemingly going down. Got back to 2-2, all of this before we really knew the score from Sunderland. Difficult to understand now as everything is in real time, but back then you got the odd score update on the radio, but that was it. My memory was that for most of the match we believed Everton were beating Sunderland 1-0, so it was to close to call.

It was certainly very late on, maybe five minutes to go, when the scoreboard flashed Everton 2 Sunderland 0 final score - might be wrong on that score but that is what I have ingrained in my memory. Rest really was party time, with no one taking the ball out of their own half.

Sunderland moaned quite rightly, and I think it was from then on that final day games had to kick off at the same time. It was not just that game however. We had a terrible run it on paper, looked certianly down. Over four or five games got some fantastic results, and achieved the great escape.

Went to every game back then, and the end of that season, culminating at Coventry, is still my most cherished memory as a red, bar none.

Our last three home games were Leeds (who were big), Man Utd and Liverpool. We drew one and won two. 38,000 at home.

Anyone wants to know a little more, and see a real East End surge, and what it did mean to us, see here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abpN42eGDXM

Seems a lifetime ago!

Another result that shouldn't have stood. City 3 - Rovers 4 in a FA Cup match from the 1950s.

If you see any of the black & white film of that game, Geoff Bradford was offside when he scored the winning goal.

Sorry folks, I keep finding more examples of City being victimised over the years, this one from 1991.

On Easter Monday, Notts. County were beaten 3-2 followed by the fixture at Middlesborough who had the same points as City. Bob Taylor scored in the second minute, but 'Boro equalised before the interval. In the final minute of the game, City appealed for a penalty when a home defender clearly handled the ball in his area, but the referee allowed the game to continue. Their 'keeper punted the ball upfield and with a desperation shot a forward volleyed it on.  The shot hit a post and went in for a 2-1 home win. That result put Boro' in the play offs whilst City ended up ninth.

I'm still upset about the 1909 cup final. I'm convinced the ref was a secret Man Utd fan and favoured them throughout the match. If City had won that match history would be very different - City in the Premiership and Utd in league 1

Tip of the hat to somebody who was actually there to see it :clap:

I was there. No conspiracy, just a 5 minute late KO due to crowd congestion. Of course, once the 3-0 Sunderland score went up, we kept the ball inside the centre circle while Coventry looked on. A City player took the ball forward to cries of NO from both sets of fans and he shamefacedly retreated ;)

After the game City and Coventry fans celebrated together and even the WMP Farce was happy :o

Mind you, a Sunderland fan at work exploded at me the morning after and never spoke to me again :D

Archived