IGNORED

Gerry Sharpe - For You Older Fans

Tonks51

Gerry was a great little player, who was at the top of his game when his horrific injury occurred, he had a short stint as caretaker manager in 1982 prior to Terry Cooper taking over on a permanent basis, a great guy, great player, who would have got better.

Yes, I was there when he broke his leg. Sickening injury to a player who was just coming into his own.

I was there too (stood on the steps of the Hospital Broadcast box at the Open End). Eric McMordie - a nasty, niggly midfielder - made the challenge and despite it happening some distance away in the East End half of the field, the sickening snap could be plainly heard all around the ground. It was such a shame because he was a skilful and very popular winger.

He visited AG a few years ago and together with some other former players, signed a "where are they now?" book. I took my boy to get his copy signed (who am I kidding, he didn't want the book!) and we had a brief conversation in which his American accent was very evident. A nice guy though and I'm glad he's doing well for himself.

I was there too (stood on the steps of the Hospital Broadcast box at the Open End). Eric McMordie - a nasty, niggly midfielder - made the challenge and despite it happening some distance away in the East End half of the field, the sickening snap could be plainly heard all around the ground. It was such a shame because he was a skilful and very popular winger.

He visited AG a few years ago and together with some other former players, signed a "where are they now?" book. I took my boy to get his copy signed (who am I kidding, he didn't want the book!) and we had a brief conversation in which his American accent was very evident. A nice guy though and I'm glad he's doing well for himself.

McMordie went over the top, so much so that even his team mates shunned him in the players bar after !

The injury was so bad that even after surgery he ended up with the broken leg slightly shorter than the other. He obviously couldn't play again which was a shame for him and the club.

Yes it was, I was sat in it, first season of use.

Then I've obviously gone doolally. I have a recollection of being on that side of the ground but no stand. Perhaps I'm getting confused with when a gas player broke his leg the time I was over there.

I certainly remember feeling sick at the noise and knowing I was there when Gerry Sharpe was injured against Boro.

Then I've obviously gone doolally. I have a recollection of being on that side of the ground but no stand. Perhaps I'm getting confused with when a gas player broke his leg the time I was over there.

I certainly remember feeling sick at the noise and knowing I was there when Gerry Sharpe was injured against Boro.

There was a game, Glos Cup circa '67 at AG when that**** Alex Munro tried to to out Chris Crowe at the waist. He missed and wrapped his legs round the pitch-side railings and bust his leg, oh how we laughed !

There was a game, Glos Cup circa '67 at AG when that **** Alex Munro tried to to out Chris Crowe at the waist. He missed and wrapped his legs round the pitch-side railings and bust his leg, oh how we laughed !

Did Munro steal everyone's wallets afterwards?

Archived