IGNORED

Symbolic Gesture - One Final Toilet Roll ?

Abraham Romanovich

For me in the late 60's and 70's in the EE it was all about looking the part. Levi jeans with turn ups. Doc Martin boots, Ben Sherman shirts, braces and Harington jackets. Scarfs around the wrist and on a warm day black loafers.

I can't see myself getting togged up that gear now.

White Oxford Bags from the ArmyNavy store on Hotwells Road. Red vest. Crombie with the all important red handkerchief and gold pin. Brown boots.... We are the East End Boot Boys!

Wasn't just match day garb either. Ok for you lot South of the river wearing the clobber, us up on the north side had daily conflicts with the other lot due the dress code.

For me in the late 60's and 70's in the EE it was all about looking the part. Levi jeans with turn ups. Doc Martin boots, Ben Sherman shirts, braces and Harington jackets. Scarfs around the wrist and on a warm day black loafers.

B A Y

B A Y

BA Y C I T Y

With a R O L L E R S,

Bay City Rollers are the best...

......I'll get my coat...

To those of us of a certain age football in the 70's and 80's meant prior to kick off the cross bar being festooned with toilet rolls would it not be appropriate to throw just one to mark the passing of an era ?.

it would be great to see but, I fear the health and safety army will pour into the area and evict the paper terrorists, therefore missing the rest of the game and having to endure hours of mind numbing lectures of how this incident can cause anything from fire, blindness, head injuries, damage to goal nets, injury to linesmen raising their arms to get paper down, causing loss of human rights to wipe ones own arse or the paper had not been on the approved football leagues list of suppliers.

Go ahead though, I would love to see it done. Just get a good solicitor for the inevitable multiple court cases you will have to attend to explain your recklessness.

Yes it would be a traditional send off for our beloved East End. To avoid too many recriminations though; throw them (immediately) after the final whistle. Then you are not endangering players or officials which would lead to a ban, instead you are only dropping litter.

Hopefully the club and the courts will see it that way as well.

You can try JACAMO but you'll need to be quick for Saturday delivery.

Can anyone still remember how to throw one effectively? As I remember it there was something of an art to getting it right, if you "misfired" it would just end up hanging over the heads of few irate fans on the terraces below.

Oh and I too had a rattle and a rosette although I remember my dad refusing to take me and my mate into the ground until we took our scarves off our wrists!!

Can anyone still remember how to throw one effectively? As I remember it there was something of an art to getting it right, if you "misfired" it would just end up hanging over the heads of few irate fans on the terraces s!!

I almost posted something on the 'memories' thread about toilet rolls and the east end! You're right, there was an art to it! Unfurl a bit first, then it was just the right balance between speed and trajectory. Too slow or too high and it ended up on the person in front. Too hard or too low and it ended up unfurled on the pitch. The perfect throw and it was unfurled and hanging from the crossbar!

I was born in the mid 60s, but I can still just about remember a few elderly guys having football rattles at my first games.

My football rattle fell into pieces when City scored at Eastville in the Gloucester Cup in the early 60s.  If I remember correctly they used to have a flower bed behind the goal at the Tote End and all the pieces fell there.  I was a bit too enthusiastic with it and by the way I was only about 16 or 17 then.   Didn't bother to buy another one the one that fell apart was red and white of course.

Archived