IGNORED

Greatest Goal By A City Player, Ever!

where's the joy

SuperBob versus Crewe at home, 35 yard half volley. Had he not got injured soon after, the Gas would never have won the league.

Seem to remember Wayne Allison dribbling past 2 players then unexpectedly chipping the keeper from 25 yards, maybe against Plymouth at home on a Tuesday night. Unbelievable Tekkers from the Chief!

And aside from the ones already mentioned, JETs free kick a couple of weeks ago wasn't bad. Or Maynard at home to Newcastle (?) on a Saturday evening kick off I think

SuperBob versus Crewe at home, 35 yard half volley. Had he not got injured soon after, the Gas would never have won the league.

Seem to remember Wayne Allison dribbling past 2 players then unexpectedly chipping the keeper from 25 yards, maybe against Plymouth at home on a Tuesday night. Unbelievable Tekkers from the Chief!

And aside from the ones already mentioned, JETs free kick a couple of weeks ago wasn't bad. Or Maynard at home to Newcastle (?) on a Saturday evening kick off I think

I was just about to say the Superbob goal. I was in the East End that night as a 16 year old and it was bloody amazing. His goals against Swansea away that month when we won 5-0 were equally amazing. I believe they're on YouTube. Another belter was Maynard against Newcastle when we drew 2-2

Jimmy Mann away at Bolton in Old First Division.

Facing away from goal, chipped ball back over his head, spun, leaving defence flat footed and stuffed it past keeper. I'm sure game was featured on Match of the Day.

Or 

Clive Whiteheads goal v Portsmouth to take us to heights I never dreamed possible.

Or

Paul Cheesleys goal v Arsenal.

Or

Chris Garlands brace against Champions Liverpool, to keep our dream alive.

Or 

Gerry Gow and Donnie Gillies goals at Coventry to ensure survival and another crack at the big boys.

So many memories from yesteryear through to today

Then there's Paul Mardons strike at Forest.

How can anyone choose their best?

Big Wayne hattrick vs Brum at home, sure he ran from his own half for one of them

As Aizoon posted - Atyeo's goal to clinch promotion at the end of the 64-65 season and quoting from the history book rather than memory.

"Atyeo pulled down  a left wing centre from Bush, paused for a second as he summed up the situation on the edge of the Oldham penalty area, before swivelling to smash his shot into the top corner of the net".

As Aizoon posted - Atyeo's goal to clinch promotion at the end of the 64-65 season and quoting from the history book rather than memory.

"Atyeo pulled down  a left wing centre from Bush, paused for a second as he summed up the situation on the edge of the Oldham penalty area, before swivelling to smash his shot into the top corner of the net".

I quite literally remember it as if it was yesterday. For a fraction of a second, everyone was looking for the cross to the far post, and then he hammered it into the near top corner.

Greatest in terms of importance it would be the two goals at Cov which kept us up back in the old 1st Division days, Whitehead's goal which put us up there in the first place against Portsmouth, Noble's goal at Palace, Trundle's goal in the return leg, Tinnion's goal at Liverpool and Robert's goal vs Hartlepool in the FR Cup.

In terms of most skilful, Maynard's at QPR or Perti Jantunen's v Leeds and for sheer power, Mann's v Forest.

So many great goals and wonderful memories - its impossible to pick just one but if I had to it would be Mann's.

I probably haven't seen better than Jimmy Mann's v Forest.

Tinman's v Liverpool has to be up there for what it meant. (But don't forget the Chief scoring to earn us the replay.)

As has Roberts' v Hartlepool.

I remember Tony Thorpe scoring with a deft volley on the turn from near the corner of the box starting with his back to goal and swiveling around to connect with the ball. I'm sure it was in the FA cup against some non-leaguer's (maybe I'll remember their name when Rovers play them next year..)

Archived