IGNORED

Why Bristol City ?

Major Isewater

Not sure where i got my love of football from as my dad and grandfather prefer their rugby but I coudn't get enough of football.

However, i spent most of my time sitting on the sofa watching the premier league until one day I thought I should be supporting a local team. Me and a friend got on a bus to the gate about 12 years ago and been hooked ever since. Good job we didnt end up on the bus heading towards the dark side

Was taken to both Bristol teams when I was 11. Funny enough got taken to Eastville first.  As soon as I walked into Aston Gate, I needed about 0.1 of a second to make my mind up.  Something about this club draws me in.  What ever division they play in, who ever is in charge, how good or bad we are, I will always be a red.  I remember the very proud feeling of putting on my yellow hirerite top on for the first time as a kid.  :-) 

My Dad was never much of a Football fan, but he got me into going to City.

As a kid upto the age of 9 I was your typical "Liverpool fan" always wearing their full kit, whatever the weather, until my Dad convinced me that I should follow my home team and took me to my first match at home Vs Fulham at Easter time in the 89/90 promotion season. I have only missed a handfull of games at Ashton Gate since!

My first ever live football match was actually a school team trip to Maine Road to see Man City in 1987, so I could justifiably claim an allegence to them and share in their current success, but quite simply, the only think that I like about Man City is that they are not Man Utd!

Cheers Dad, City is one of the greatest gifts you ever gave me, through good times and bad!

My grand father used to take my dad to City back in the Old First Division days, and my dad took me as a child. First shirt I had was the Purple and Lime away shirt, had the full kit and used to wear it to every training session / kick around / game. Loved that kit!

I wasn't born in Bristol but the entire family support Bristol City.

Grew up in a town where the choices were Stafford Rangers, Stoke or Wolves. I simply never felt the same affinity to any of them as I do Bristol City.

Unfortunately all my mates/teachers supported Wolves or Stoke (aside from the masses of Man U fans) both of which we always lose too....  Looking back I like to think of it as character building....

Dad gas.  Brother gas. Brother's mates Gas.

I thought "**** that for a game of soldiers" and I grabbed a lift to AG with some local lads who were City through and through.  Never looked back.

P.S.  Brother saw the error of his ways and now supports City.

Both dad and his dad supported City.

Being in Kingswood during the 1950s/60s was interesting choice of club for them.

My mum's dad was ardent City but was one of the bizarre chaps who went and watched Rovers at Eastville in the '50s when City were away? Though I am led to believe that wasn't uncommon?

Again, they were from Hillfields - my family always seem to come from Gas areas but there is nobody in the family who supports them....

Being in Kingswood during the 1950s/60s was interesting choice of club for them.

My mum's dad was ardent City but was one of the bizarre chaps who went and watched Rovers at Eastville in the '50s when City were away? Though I am led to believe that wasn't uncommon?

Again, they were from Hillfields - my family always seem to come from Gas areas but there is nobody in the family who supports them....

Very common then - of course the football was a cheap day out in those days.

My parents families  were split City and Rovers and would go to Ashton Gate one week and Eastville the next, as was common place then.( in the mid-late fifties)  We lived in Knowle and Ashton Gate was within walking distance so when I wanted to go to a match for the first time, it was City because there was no bus fare involved!! That day to this, its red for me.

First (and currently only) member of my family to be hooked on football. Supported Liverpool till I was about 8 (now 20) when our football club had a training session and watched a match at Ashton Gate and I've been hooked ever since. Luckily met friends who supported the same team so it all worked out :)

Went to Eastville with an uncle one week (I was only little!) and City the next with my dad for a couple of months in season '75-'76. Once City were on the verge of the top table, my old man made sure it was City every week!

Thanks dad.

My dad did the same, though he was a City fan at heart. 

My grandad started going down the City in the 1920s - got a season ticket just after he got married funnily enough! They lived in Knowle and occasionally you could hear the cheers from the ground from their house

Archived