IGNORED

Financial Fair Play - The End Of The Billionaire Takeover?

Eddie Hitler

I can't have a moment's sympathy for clubs like Aston Villa.  There's nothing stopping anyone buying them if the price is right.  And there will always be loopholes that allow new owners to invest without falling foul of FFP.

It's particularly ironic that Abramovich should be one of the owners calling for a constraint on spending.  Having totally distorted player values and salaries, he now realises that the money is still being poured away without any guarantee of glory.  I would love to see one of the 'backed' clubs lose their sugar daddy but I'm sure there would be another billionaire prepared to step in and spend again.

Steve Lansdown continues to provide sufficient funds to give us all a sense of optimism about the season ahead.  For a number of reasons, I don't think we'll ever break into the big time but I would be quite happy with a decent ground and Championship football.  At least we'll be able to see mostly British players and I won't leave Ashton Gate with the unpleasant aftertaste that follows Premier League teams.

And 054123, I'm totally with you about the John Oliver programme

)

For anyone who hasn't seen it, his analysis of FIFA was hilarious

Archived