IGNORED

Turner, Taylor And Morgan

Superjack

I must start by stating that this is NOT a "then and now" comparison, because the Class of 1990 would win hands down.

However, it seems to me that Wilbraham and Baldock, although not exactly the same type of players and IMO nowhere near as good, are nonetheless reminiscent of the "Two T's" in 1990.

We got promoted from this division in 1990.

Turner and Taylor were largely the "up-top" reason for that...

...supported in no small terms by a certain Nicky Morgan.

I'm loving the look of our squad and am more optimistic about the coming season than I have been for years...

...I just can't help feeling that we could do with a Nicky Morgan.

Providing Baldock stays, I think it could be the final jigsaw piece.

(Although I wouldn't mind us getting Nosworthy back either).

I must start by stating that this is NOT a "then and now" comparison, because the Class of 1990 would win hands down.

However, it seems to me that Wilbraham and Baldock, although not exactly the same type of players and IMO nowhere near as good, are nonetheless reminiscent of the "Two T's" in 1990.

We got promoted from this division in 1990.

Turner and Taylor were largely the "up-top" reason for that...

...supported in no small terms by a certain Nicky Morgan.

I'm loving the look of our squad and am more optimistic about the coming season than I have been for years...

...I just can't help feeling that we could do with a Nicky Morgan.

Providing Baldock stays, I think it could be the final jigsaw piece.

(Although I wouldn't mind us getting Nosworthy back either).

Nosworthy will be missed, neither Ayling, Little or El Abd will make up for not having him in the squad.

I'd really like to ask SC why he decided not to sign him.

Bob Taylor 36 goals in a promotion season. Robbie kicked in with 9 in the league and more in the cup and really was the UNsung hero. While we were all singing about super Bob, Robbie put in shift after shift and got his reward V Chelsea!

Nicky came into his own in the higher division and really did look the part but without the big return.

Who knows who will do what next season but the two ex MKDons boys at least have a track record. But for me the big difference is the goals we now have in our team with the new signings. We can get one from all over and I expect us to win more second phase ball. As such Baldock getting another boatload with the midfield kicking in, will make us one of the teams to fear! I HOPE!!!

Morgan wasn't signed until the transfer deadline in March, and so played little part in the promotion season. Dean Horrix was signed shortly before, but died in a car crash. We also had Ian Ferguson on loan for the latter part of the season, but for the most part it was Taylor and Turner. Joe Jordan realised Robbie Turner would do a job in the third division, but wouldn't hack it in the second. We had a very settled side that season, Llewellyn, Bailey, Humphries,Newman, Gavin, Smith, Shelton, Rennie, Taylor, Turner. These days it seems far-fetched to be so reliant on a small group of players. That season, the Gas, who pipped us to the title, finished the season with virtually the same XI that started it. Can't see that ever happening again.

Nosworthy will be missed, neither Ayling, Little or El Abd will make up for not having him in the squad.

I'd really like to ask SC why he decided not to sign him.

How do you know SC decided not to sign him? Maybe we tried but he turned us down, maybe his wage/contract demands were unreasonable.....

Morgan wasn't signed until the transfer deadline in March, and so played little part in the promotion season. Dean Horrix was signed shortly before, but died in a car crash. We also had Ian Ferguson on loan for the latter part of the season, but for the most part it was Taylor and Turner. Joe Jordan realised Robbie Turner would do a job in the third division, but wouldn't hack it in the second. We had a very settled side that season, Llewellyn, Bailey, Humphries,Newman, Gavin, Smith, Shelton, Rennie, Taylor, Turner. These days it seems far-fetched to be so reliant on a small group of players. That season, the Gas, who pipped us to the title, finished the season with exactly the same XI that started it. Can't see that ever happening again.

Did we have Andy Jones on loan, although I forget from whom?

What a strike force that was though. Turner doing all the hard unglamourous work, and Taylor smashing them in from anywhere. Who can forget the goals away at Swampsea, or the 35 yarder against Crewe. Really need to dig out the video from that season-yes, that's right kids, a video. So I need to dig out the VHS player as well!

Did we have Andy Jones on loan, although I forget from whom?

What a strike force that was though. Turner doing all the hard unglamourous work, and Taylor smashing them in from anywhere. Who can forget the goals away at Swampsea, or the 35 yarder against Crewe. Really need to dig out the video from that season-yes, that's right kids, a video. So I need to dig out the VHS player as well!

Oh yes, and Jason Eaton played a few games too. I felt sorry for Robbie - he must have realised the writing was on the wall, but remember his performance against Chelsea?

That Swansea match is still my favourite away game if all time.

Do you realise that is now 25 years ago?

Makes me feel old..

I remember being in the Swansea end with my old man, when City scored the first I was nervous about jumping up, but half the stand were City supporters. I think the gate was about 7000 and there must have been over 3000 City.

That whole team during the time seemed to have the right balance, with real leaders and some right charactors. A rock in the middle with Newman and two very different but entertaining wizards on the wing. I miss being that excited about a team

I'm seeing Robbie tonight, he's not changed all that much in 25 years !

Favourite goal of Robbies was a 15 yard header away at Cardiff in a 3-0 win

What made it even better was the fact he'd been off the pitch had his forehead bandaged up with 12 stitches as well. To still score with a 15 yard header showed the commitment of the guy !

The guy was only 9 at the time and probably had Bohemian parents who lunched at 10pm every day. It is so easy to think that everyone then lunches at 10pm and gone, thus lunchtime for him is associated with late night tv whereas the rest of us obviously have lunch at about 6.30 am.

Thus the term lunchtime is a rather ambiguous one. It can also depend on a person's class. Therefore it is generally best when someone asks if something occurred at lunchtime to simply answer in the affirmative.

If it is any help to the ex-9 year old, the match was not on live on BBC but was the main match on Match of the Day that night. You might be getting slightly mixed up with the City v Notts Forest league cup semi final 2nd leg which was live on a Sunday afternoon in 1989 on ITV. BBC showed the Tyson v Bruno fight at the same time.

If it is any help to the ex-9 year old, the match was not on live on BBC but was the main match on Match of the Day that night. You might be getting slightly mixed up with the City v Notts Forest league cup semi final 2nd leg which was live on a Sunday afternoon in 1989 on ITV. BBC showed the Tyson v Bruno fight at the same time.

Definitely not getting the two games mixed up - I was there for the Forest game, un the EE with my 6ft inflatable Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Seems that I got my times mixed up with regards to the time of day I watched the Chelsea game on the tv, my most sincere apologies are proffered in the hope that you can forgive the 9 year old me!

And just for the record, my parents are not now, nor have they ever been bohemian! Lunch was at lunchtime, tea was at teatime in our house!

Bob Taylor or Andy Cole?

Super Bob, no contest. I never really took to Andy Cole. Mind you if you asked Super Bob or Glyn Riley the latter would win. Loved the Riley/ Neville partnership, such a great understanding.

What a great team back then, maybe just maybe we are building the same now. Who knows in 25 years time will be be talking with fondness about our current players. Memories.

How do you know SC decided not to sign him? Maybe we tried but he turned us down, maybe his wage/contract demands were unreasonable.....

That is what I was trying to say, we don't know why he hasn't been signed.

Super Bob, no contest. I never really took to Andy Cole. Mind you if you asked Super Bob or Glyn Riley the latter would win. Loved the Riley/ Neville partnership, such a great understanding.

What a great team back then, maybe just maybe we are building the same now. Who knows in 25 years time will be be talking with fondness about our current players. Memories.

I know what you mean Super Bob was a real fans favourite with us. Andy Cole wasn't here long enough to be a real favourite but for me still the best striker I have seen in a City Shirt.

Thanks for the info Red Homer. A 25 year mystery has been solved. Throughout the ITV coverage a giant T-Rex kept obscuring the view leading me to think I was watching One Million Years BC on C4. For a quarter of a century I haven't rated Raquel Welch as I thought she resembled Stuart Pearce too much.

Only 3% of City fans have Bohemian parents. Interestingly, the football club with the highest percentage of Bohemian maters and paters amongst their supporters is Brighton with 18%. This might have some bearing on the Baldock biz.

Bob Taylor or Andy Cole?

Loved Bob much more than Cole

But Cole for me, unfortunately when Super Bob was Bad, he was really bad, he lost the ability to anythng, but when on Form, awesome doesn't do it justice

Cole on the other hand, aloof, didn't want to be here, great finisher.  His career compared to Bob's tells you who was better.

But that matters not,as a player I enjoyed watching Bob

Head Cole

Heart Taylor

Archived