IGNORED

What If We Could Do This ? Questions To Bcfc Sub Forum

phantom

Should we have a pre moderated Questions to BCFC sub forum on OTIB?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought we were already quite lucky to have the chance to email or phone a fans liaison officer on any occasion.

Some people will always prefer to use an anonymous forum to raise questions though...in the worst case this can mean some daft things suggested ("we should buy x/y/z"....."why has the board put us in debt"...) and then a smear campaign when the idea is politely declined.

Would be interested to hear how this could work differently.

Do people on here think that there would be potential in looking to get something like CPFC2010 set up and see the if controlled correctly could be something of use? Yes 100%.

If modded correctly would be great. The trouble is that, because it's modded, it will always be open to accusations of only allowing the questions that the club wants to hear and not asking the awkward questions.

The flip side to that is it will become like the Ask SteveL subforum and anything of any worth would be buried beneath an avalanche of idiocy.

The modding will have to be spot on to stop people on one side or the other getting upset,

• Admin

I thought we were already quite lucky to have the chance to email or phone a fans liaison officer on any occasion.

Some people will always prefer to use an anonymous forum to raise questions though...in the worst case this can mean some daft things suggested ("we should buy x/y/z"....."why has the board put us in debt"...) and then a smear campaign when the idea is politely declined.

Would be interested to hear how this could work differently.

The intention that has been highlighted is that even if a question has been raised from another site it is not anonymous, all users can be tracked.

David Lloyd will be a key stakeholder in all of this - but believe it can only create better relations

If modded correctly would be great. The trouble is that, because it's modded, it will always be open to accusations of only allowing the questions that the club wants to hear and not asking the awkward questions.

The flip side to that is it will become like the Ask SteveL subforum and anything of any worth would be buried beneath an avalanche of idiocy.

The modding will have to be spot on to stop people on one side or the other getting upset,

The club do not run OTIB, or the other websites. Forum admin and mods would carry over "good" questions from forums on behalf of others users not idiocy.

Mad Cyril correctly points out that the opportunity to ask direct questions about club policies etc has been there ever since I started working here 8 years ago, and many people take the opportunity to do that, or to come along to FAN. (all welcome)

I was initially cautious about this idea, because of what happened with the Ask Steve L forum but I am prepared to give it a go. Pre-modding is essential, but I do agree that it should be someone not employed by the club to avoid any suggestions of only picking questions which I would be prepared to answer. Another alternative would be for everyone to post using their real names.

However, for reasons of their own there are some people who prefer to operate from behind a cloak of anonymity and I'm happy for them to have a voice too, providing it's a polite one :-)

• Admin

Mad Cyril correctly points out that the opportunity to ask direct questions about club policies etc has been there ever since I started working here 8 years ago, and many people take the opportunity to do that, or to come along to FAN. (all welcome)

Very true only thing I would add is that if people are thinking the same question everyone can see the answer and saves being repeatedly asked.

Hopefully also assist people who aren't always able to get to organised events.

Let's hope in a few months other clubs are referring to our forum etc as an example of how well things are done

Good idea but I don't think some people will just accept the clubs answers.

Take the redevelopment of the East End as an example, the first question most would ask is: "Why can't we have a pitched roof to aid acoustics"?.

Now if the club came back and said: "We don't think it is a good design and doesn't fit in with our plans/the rest of the development", what would be the reaction to that?.

Some people will never accept some answers.

Take the redevelopment of the East End as an example, the first question most would ask is: "Why can't we have a pitched roof to aid acoustics"?.

Now if the club came back and said: "We don't think it is a good design and doesn't fit in with our plans/the rest of the development", what would be the reaction to that?.

That is an excellent example of how something could work well. The ground consultation parameters would be established via initial questions, which was not highlighted last year. Save fans time and effort.

Good idea. I know some on here seem to have problem with Palace, but we could learn a lot from their fans and club.

They were the geeky kid in the NHS specs. It didn't matter that they did well at school they were the Nigels , but now the geeks are showing how to get things done off the pitch.

Something needs to happen. We have some really passionate committed people who are being held back and not being able to be the trail blazers they are in terms of creating a unique, loud, noisy, passionate, colourful,atmosphere.

I cannot fault that post. Very true.

Interesting that we have a number of different groups now that are keen on this even within the Eastend there were pockets everywhere doing different things including the oldies who got the whole thing rolling. The fans are ready to do it...are the club prepared to let them? This idea could bridge that gap.

Examples:

- You Parkenders

- Oldies in EE

- Younger lads near the oldies

- A small group of us doing flag waving

- The drummer and his mates (for all our disagreements - which still stand - he's certainly keen)

- There was a group in the corner of the Williams back end of last season

- Always some noise in A block Dolman

- Even the netters! (forgive me)

So the fans are there, who's going to tell me what's missing?

The the first question to ask was: "What part of the design could fans affect?"

One professional and concise answer would have saved fans time. No attending open days or meetings.That one professional and concise answer was not gained by attending development meetings. Fans were asking similar at meetings for detail that could have led later to ideas for roofs being put forward. Time saved to spend with the family via one question, and an answer that could be used as a refence in future v vague and worse internet opinion.

What is being proposed here is a means of swiftly exchanging information / detail without going out of your way, travelling miles, losing work pay etc to attend meetings which does happen.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/163927-bristol-city-willem-ii/

Question: "Will BCFC seriously consider playing a friendly v Willem II?"

Jon Lansdown: "We will be on this date!"

A direct question and a clear answer from the FC here could lead to something special for sections of fans from not one, but two clubs.

Well aimed questions and a thorough reponses regarding friendlies, or tours abroad would be enlightening. Fans could instantly think about planning holidays and time off work, or not. If City are going to Africa again next season most fans can think of somewhere else to be that week.

Something needs to happen. We have some really passionate committed people who are being held back and not being able to be the trail blazers they are in terms of creating a unique, loud, noisy, passionate, colourful,atmosphere.

There is no reason why this should be viewed as negative. It is only negative if people want it to be so. Fans and people react to positive situations. A sub forum can be used to create positive situations.

Fans can, and almost certainly will put forward ideas and initiatives via at this point possible sub forum. The club can then very openly back initiatives if they wish. It is an opportunity to create positives.

Trailblazers and unique probably not, but can we do better yes.

I was initially cautious about this idea, because of what happened with the Ask Steve L forum but I am prepared to give it a go. Pre-modding is essential, but I do agree that it should be someone not employed by the club to avoid any suggestions of only picking questions which I would be prepared to answer. Another alternative would be for everyone to post using their real names.

However, for reasons of their own there are some people who prefer to operate from behind a cloak of anonymity and I'm happy for them to have a voice too, providing it's a polite one :-)

If I was you I would leave it well alone - you know what some of our fans are like, every word is analysed and eventually the platform becomes a stick to beat you with,

So do we give this a go then? (new poll added)

Well yes but the idealism of direct, transparent communication between club and supporter seems both naive and and dangerous.

See 'S.Bcity's advice to DaveL; it could be more simple than that. Truth and transparency could/would result in unpopular answers, amongst some, to certain questions - and the club don't want sticks for supporters to beat them with - just want ya money!

Dirty business: politics.

Totally behind any plan that leads to better understanding between "both sides" because let's face it for whatever reason there are differences between the Club and what you could call the "passionate fan"

As I see it the Club are suspicious, maybe fearful of the passionate fans - 'All that racket they make at a game makes us fearful about Health and Safety and they're always on about ways to make even more racket and atmosphere - Low angled Stand design, Home advantage, singing, flags, murals. Why can't they sit there quietly then lots more people will feel okay about coming to Ashton Gate.

The passionate fan sees the Club as conservative stick-in the muds who just don't get it. They don't see that if you make more atmosphere using all the creative ideas we are giving them it will help the team to do better at Home matches

Is that about it? 

Archived