IGNORED

Botswana Summary

devoncider

Hi Harry

Thanks for the article. BTW

"Bristol City are the first professional British side to visit the continent of Africa,"

I don't think this is true, as Man United toured SA 2012. I suspect there have been others.

I'm sure City stated that they were the first British side to visit Botswana? Maybe that was the source of confusion? 

Cheers.

Hi Harry

Thanks for the article. BTW

"Bristol City are the first professional British side to visit the continent of Africa,"

I don't think this is true, as Man United toured SA 2012. I suspect there have been others.

I'm sure City stated that they were the first British side to visit Botswana? Maybe that was the source of confusion? 

Cheer

you're right there!

Nice article , SC says the trip was perfect ( I'm sure one player with a hole in his shin may disagree )  and if they have bonded and come back in peak condition then all's good. I was worried we may come back slightly under cooked on the match fitness side , I guess we shall wait and see on that one.

Well done to all concerned for the good work in the name of BCFC.

I'm guessing training at altitude will help speed up fitness. Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing confirm the benefits although 2 weeks might not have much affect.

Because there is less oxygen present, there is a certain hormone in the body which triggers the creation of more red blood cells- the haemoglobin in red blood cells bind the oxygen together which makes the players respiratory system more effective. Similar effect to blood doping.

Because there is less oxygen present, there is a certain hormone in the body which triggers the creation of more red blood cells- the haemoglobin in red blood cells bind the oxygen together which makes the players respiratory system more effective. Similar effect to blood doping.

What he said! Essentially, in a higher altitude environment the amount of available Oxygen will be less than at ground level. Therefore the oxygen in the circulation will be less, receptors in the kidney (yeah I know that sounds odd but the kidney of all places!) detect the lack of oxygen and produce more of the hormone erythropoietin, which in turn travels to the bone marrow and encourages greater production of red blood cells.

Also, in environments where there is less oxygen, the majority type of circulating haemoglobin can change to one than has a greater affinity for oxygen - in other words, the bodies supply of haemoglobin (which binds oxygen) is altered to make the most of a limited supply!

Will it help our cause this season though? It may do - although like with EPO blood doping, the process has to be repeatedly performed for a lasting improvement in sporting performance!

What he said! Essentially, in a higher altitude environment the amount of available Oxygen will be less than at ground level. Therefore the oxygen in the circulation will be less, receptors in the kidney (yeah I know that sounds odd but the kidney of all places!) detect the lack of oxygen and produce more of the hormone erythropoietin, which in turn travels to the bone marrow and encourages greater production of red blood cells.

Also, in environments where there is less oxygen, the majority type of circulating haemoglobin can change to one than has a greater affinity for oxygen - in other words, the bodies supply of haemoglobin (which binds oxygen) is altered to make the most of a limited supply!

Will it help our cause this season though? It may do - although like with EPO blood doping, the process has to be repeatedly performed for a lasting improvement in sporting performance!

i propose that SL build an enormous man-made mountain on Ashton Vale and we use the flattened plateau at the top as our training ground. ;)

With Bristol City F C being the first professional football club touring Botswana,

it hasn't had much publicity nationwide !

I think the tour has been great for the club, but to be fair, why would it? If Crewe became the first professional football club touring Liechtenstein, would you expect to read about it in national press?

Archived