IGNORED

Shaw's Reported Wages

Loco Rojo

Many blame Sky TV for this. Italy used to have a massive excess of money problem, then sky withdrew and Serie A suffered for quite a while.

Again, when ITV Digital withdrew the cash it injected into the football league, there were a lot of financial difficulties and many teams also suffered.

The way is see it is is although it's a ridiculous amount of money per week, it means only certain few can afford to buy him beyond utd. If he does well a la bale at Tottenham, his sell on value will be unreal and without a doubt, Real Madrid will e in for him when he is in his prime.

All in all, it's less about the players current ability or age but more about a sell on value later on.

If you are good enough you are entitled to the riches your talent reaps irrespective of what age you happen to be. With regards to money taking the edge off a good young player it shouldn't make any difference. If they are that shallow as to let their gift decline due to being paid shedloads of dosh then I wager they never possessed the determination to succeed in the first place.

I would also assume that the likes of Shaw knew he would be a multi-millionaire at about the age of 11 and the school he attended were aware of it too, so they would've provided him with special lessons in how to invest/spend it wisely.

More power to his elbow and good luck to the fellow. Teenagers with loads of dosh isn't a new phenomenon. More than 3,000 years ago Tutenkhamun ordered a gold coffin from the co-op and never received a word of criticism.

If you are good enough you are entitled to the riches your talent reaps irrespective of what age you happen to be. With regards to money taking the edge off a good young player it shouldn't make any difference. If they are that shallow as to let their gift decline due to being paid shedloads of dosh then I wager they never possessed the determination to succeed in the first place.

I would also assume that the likes of Shaw knew he would be a multi-millionaire at about the age of 11 and the school he attended were aware of it too, so they would've provided him with special lessons in how to invest/spend it wisely.

More power to his elbow and good luck to the fellow. Teenagers with loads of dosh isn't a new phenomenon. More than 3,000 years ago Tutenkhamun ordered a gold coffin from the co-op and never received a word of criticism.

Haha! School would have given him special lessons?! No way! There's so many variables in becoming a pro that this would not be feasible, especially at saints! They have loads of satellite centres of excellence that feed into the main academy from early teens and competition is ridiculously feared there in particular. it's such a tough trade to get into that it's absolutely impossible to tell at 11 years old!!

I'm not fully saying that in Shaw's case he would've been 11 when his mentors would've been sure he would make it big, he might've been 12 or even 10 but it must've been around that age. The likes of Pele and Maradona and Puskas were only about 5 years old when great things were forecast for them. At the other extreme I believe I am correct in saying that Jack Charlton was 19 before anyone thought he would be a great player so I reckon on that scale Shaw must've been 11 or so.

Schools have a duty of care to ensure their pupils receive the best education and that means tailoring the curriculum to meet individual needs. In the case of Shaw it would be how to save/invest/spend shedloads of dosh so I would find it difficult to believe that his school would've neglected such a duty especially as if he was destined to make millions he would then be able to sue them for not teaching him how to use it wisely.

But to reiterate, I think any young chap who possesses such talent is fully entitled to reap the rewards. We don't want to go back to the Times where players were effectively slaves to the club owners.

I very much doubt his basic pay is 100K, I would imagine its in the region of 25/30K a week, with top line bonus' for clean sheets, and bonus' based on league finishing position (ie, extra 20K a week if they win league, 15K if 2nd and so on). 

Can't remember who it was, but remember a few years ago reading about an Italian team whose players all got a basic of 2000 euro a week, but would get an extra 15000 euro a week if they won the league , with 1000 subtracted for each place below top they came. It was in a bid to get the team promoted from B to A, and attract hungry players. Don't think they went up, but it was an interesting concept.

Once again, his age should have nothing to do with it. Mike Tyson was 20 when he won the world heavyweight title. I doubt if promoters were then able to say to him that they'd pay him far less for his first title defence than had he been 25 because it would be ludicrous. He was paid the going rate for the job as Shaw is. I doubt we managed to obtain Elliott's signature by saying we would pay him considerably less than all the other midfielders on our books because it would be ludicrous to pay him the same or more when he's in his mid 30s and at an age when he would be expected to hang his boots up. He's paid what he's worth to a team as is Shaw. Good luck to the fellow, not all teenagers are reckless know it alls with brains situated in their trousers, just the majority of them. Shaw might be one of the exceptions. Well done to him and let's not begrudge him his shedload of dosh.

As was your statement that mithering over it would make me a hypocrite. Glad you agree.

You don't think that people who subscribe to Sky Sports and then moan about the money in the top levels of the game are being hypocritical..?

Once again, his age should have nothing to do with it. Mike Tyson was 20 when he won the world heavyweight title. I doubt if promoters were then able to say to him that they'd pay him far less for his first title defence than had he been 25 because it would be ludicrous. He was paid the going rate for the job as Shaw is. I doubt we managed to obtain Elliott's signature by saying we would pay him considerably less than all the other midfielders on our books because it would be ludicrous to pay him the same or more when he's in his mid 30s and at an age when he would be expected to hang his boots up. He's paid what he's worth to a team as is Shaw. Good luck to the fellow, not all teenagers are reckless know it alls with brains situated in their trousers, just the majority of them. Shaw might be one of the exceptions. Well done to him and let's not begrudge him his shedload of dosh.

Hhhmmm - MT was paid a bus load to participate in a sport where the risks are a lot higher compared to football. Not sure if you should compare the risks of heaveyweight boxing to running around for 90 minutes - where lets face it, the closest a footballers performance get to boxing results in comical tackles leading in rolling around in the pitch as if a sniper in the stands has just hit the bullseye. Appreciate there are serious footballing injuries, but in comparison to the purpose of boxing where the aim is to knock the shit out of your opponent, there really isnt any comparison - if we're being honest.

Fair enough though if you dont have a problem with footballers earning 100k's per week.

You don't think that people who subscribe to Sky Sports and then moan about the money in the top levels of the game are being hypocritical..?

No - I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and cancel my subscription just because I don't agree with someone's wages.

I am still perfectly entitled to pass comment on the situation without the need to flounce off and cancel my subscription.

MT is still alive while a certain Columbian called Escobar isn't. Shaw is receiving shedloads but millions around the globe follow United and it only takes one of them to take exception to the dosh he's getting if he misplaces a backpass or scores an own goal and it could be bye bye and all that. If a boxer takes a fall he has let down just himself. If a footballer louses up he has let down millions and could suffer the consequences.

Archived