IGNORED

Rebecca Adlington

RedRock

Lock this thread now, was eating a peperami when reading that comment about Balding.....I can't tell you the thought that went through my mind :blink:

Balding doesn't like sausage apparently...

God aren't you boys lovely.

No wonder she's had so many confidence problems with attitudes like these :blink:

Absolutely.

Of course they all look like George Clooney and have the charm of Cary Grant, too....

No wonder she's had so many confidence problems with attitudes like these :blink:

Absolutely.

Of course they all look like George Clooney and have the charm of Cary Grant, too....

My point was about Ms Balding, who was happy enough to take the piss out of a Grand National winning jockey live on tv. I'm sure she won't worry too much about a bit of banter on a football forum, if she does then maybe she should think about that before mugging someone off in front of a couple of million people

Big girls pants on people.....

Who says I'm a boy? :-)

Anyhow, I've fallen in love with that cheeky Scottish woman presenter now, so Becky has missed her chance.

Absolutely.

More James Dean tbf but even if not I'd still have a strong enough sense of humour to laugh at myself, thus preventing self-esteem issues due to the banter of no-mark strangers.

Does anyone suppose Roy Hodgson gave 2 fux about being nationally compared to an owl? No, because his self-identity isn't shaped by the views of strangers, in fact, I suspect privately he had a bloody good giggle about it.

Here's a can of worms: what is it with women not wanting to be defined by their sexuality being so concerned about their. . . . sexuality?

Now... as the debate is broadening.

Equality. All for it myself. Think the treatment of women in some country's/faiths is worse than appalling. Just amazed that UK women's groups aren't up in arms about things.... no doubt because it wouldn't adhere to their left wing principles.

However, in the UK how do women justify getting something like 80% of the health budget when they live, on average, 3 years longer than males. How the heck do they justify equal prize money at Wimbledon when men have to play best of 5 sets and they just 3. That isn't equal pay, they work about 2 hours less for the same pay! Pensions, they still get pensions earlier than men - that's obscene particularly when you take account life expectancy. When the court decision to equalise pension age was made that should have been instant and compensation paid to men for the injustice of making them work until 65.

Before any one ventures to suggest the first post I'm being hypocritical, all I would say is have you ever worked with women. From my experience, they are 10x more critical of other women's looks/clothes than men.

Just my opinion but I've never thought it right that there are things like 'National Women's Day' etc, if there was a Man's day there would be an outcry.

And yes, I'm with you Moor2Sea that some women are more critical and bitchy to each other than men are. Definitely a case in some workplaces of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

Just my opinion but I've never thought it right that there are things like 'National Women's Day' etc, if there was a Man's day there would be an outcry.

And yes, I'm with you Moor2Sea that some women are more critical and bitchy to each other than men are. Definitely a case in some workplaces of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

Dead right.

Minister for Women, W.T.F. ?!

Now... as the debate is broadening.

Equality. All for it myself. Think the treatment of women in some country's/faiths is worse than appalling. Just amazed that UK women's groups aren't up in arms about things.... no doubt because it wouldn't adhere to their left wing principles.

However, in the UK how do women justify getting something like 80% of the health budget when they live, on average, 3 years longer than males. How the heck do they justify equal prize money at Wimbledon when men have to play best of 5 sets and they just 3. That isn't equal pay, they work about 2 hours less for the same pay! Pensions, they still get pensions earlier than men - that's obscene particularly when you take account life expectancy. When the court decision to equalise pension age was made that should have been instant and compensation paid to men for the injustice of making them work until 65.

Before any one ventures to suggest the first post I'm being hypocritical, all I would say is have you ever worked with women. From my experience, they are 10x more critical of other women's looks/clothes than men.

Exactly. Equality is very much a good thing, but it works both ways.

Commenting on a woman's appearance therefore should not provoke responses such as "You shouldn't say things like that ABOUT A GIRL".

Exactly. Equality is very much a good thing, but it works both ways.

Commenting on a woman's appearance therefore should not provoke responses such as "You shouldn't say things like that ABOUT A GIRL".

For what it's worth i'd have said the same if it was people commenting on a man's looks.

No wonder there are so many people in the world with self esteem issues when so much emphasis is placed on what a person looks like.

For what it's worth i'd have said the same if it was people commenting on a man's looks.

No wonder there are so many people in the world with self esteem issues when so much emphasis is placed on what a person looks like.

I think many have with regards to Ian Dowie , Holloway etc without causing any moral outrage.

I'd never be so ungallant as to discuss who I thought was facially challenged. I was just posting a joke about a type of parrot.

RA is a talented young woman. Good luck to her.

I understand that, Dolls.

My point I guess, is with regard to R.A. The biggest outcry came when Frankie Boyle made the comment that "she looked like somebody looking at themselves in the back of a spoon".

My point is that if he had said that about a bloke, everybody would have laughed, and it would have all been forgotten about the next day.

With R.A., the outcry went on for weeks.

I think many have with regards to Ian Dowie , Holloway etc without causing any moral outrage.

I'd never be so ungallant as to discuss who I thought was facially challenged. I was just posting a joke about a type of parrot.

RA is a talented young woman. Good luck to her.

Well, thanks for that.

'Bet she's had a co....' was totally lost on me.

Now I understand - very amusing.

My point I guess, is with regard to R.A. The biggest outcry came when Frankie Boyle made the comment that "she looked like somebody looking at themselves in the back of a spoon".

My point is that if he had said that about a bloke, everybody would have laughed, and it would have all been forgotten about the next day.

Sure, and I acknowledge sex equality etc.

But, chivalry, standing up/opening a door for a lady.

It is not beyond us is it?

And it makes the world so much nicer. 

Dolls, in all seriousness I agree. Low chance though that Rebecca would be reading this forum, hence the posting.

The Gasbuster makes an excellent point though. Blokes, like Bruce Forsyth, are supposed to take it on the chin. May be the best way to deal with it, is to 1) not make a big issue of the comments and 2) provide an equally humorous repost. Brucie and many other men adopt this tactic and survive without experiencing emotional breakdowns etc.

I see certain parallels here with the immigration debate. As British subjects we are called 'Brits' and 'Poms' or, better still, 'Whinging Poms'. Do we have a problem? Nah, we just call them 'Aussie Convicts' back. When I moved 'up country', I received merciless treatment over my wurzel accent from both blokes and women. Didn't have a problem and just gave as much back.

And my point is that usually when blokes get slagged off it's not because of how they look, but with with women it tends to be the first thing they pick on.

"Oooh, hasn't she put weight on"

"She's let herself go"

"What has she done to her face/hair?"

Etc

Whereas a bloke will get slagged off for his stupid clothes or the way he acts, but with women it's the physical attributes that get picked out and focused on first.

For example with the Duchess of Cambridge. People in the press focus on what she's wearing, or if she has a baby bump, and these shoes or that, instead of whatever event she was supporting at the time. Nobody comments on what Prince William was wearing.

I'm having a rant at society in general really and how for women it's all about their physical appearance, whereas with men it's more often than not, not the first thing that gets mentioned when discussing them.

Archived