IGNORED

Cheltenham Away (Merged)

Hartcliffe red

No room for players who score and create goals? What a strange team..........

Think this kind of highlights how his season will go for JET; he scored the winner in the previous match, and yet after 45 minutes of maybe not being the best player in a game we win 4-1, he's not worth a place.

Plenty folks slagged him rotten last season, yet he scored and set up tonnes; best thing about him is he seems to let it roll off him and just gets on with it.

Think this kind of highlights how his season will go for JET; he scored the winner in the previous match, and yet after 45 minutes of maybe not being the best player in a game we win 4-1, he's not worth a place.

Plenty folks slagged him rotten last season, yet he scored and set up tonnes; best thing about him is he seems to let it roll off him and just gets on with it.

Because he is a footballer and the things he tries don't always come off, sometimes he might be over ambitious, sometimes other players may not be on his wavelength but he will keep trying them. Judging by some of the comments I see on here at times, they wouldn't have a Glenn Hoddle or Matthew Le Tissier in this team either, their loss in my opinion.

Of course JET will be important for us this season, but always good to have a plan B. Interesting that 2 goals tonight came from us getting to the byline and getting crosses in. Firstly Freeman and then Little got good crosses in and it was important that Wilbraham was on at the time as JET does not have the natural instinct to get into the 6 yard box for these type of chances. But he has so so much more to offer the team. Exciting season ahead me thinks and good that we have forwards for all types of opponents.

Not sure why individuals have to be criticised?

Good work out tonight. Freeman absolutely ran the show. Very positive and have a good feeling about this season with such a strong squad.

Great to hear; he sounds like he's a cracking signing already.

Most of the time actually.

He will or would be the weak link in a high tempo performing team this season.

If we have serious aspirations for promotion there will be no room for passengers.

Really Jeff? JET will be more effective linking with better players like Freeman. Will take some of the pressure off him. Maybe some may appreciate him more this season....

He looked very effective from a more central role. Linked up well with JET and Baldock. Almost everything went through him

I thought that SC's comments when he signed about finding his best position were both interesting and encouraging.

Get the impression we might be in a position to get even more out of him than folks have before, mainly because we have a big enough squad to not be forced into playing him in one position.  

Could be a very, very exciting addition.

On what we have seen pre-season all of the new signings seem to have settled in well and will play a big part in what hopefully will be a massive season for City. The squad looks more balanced now and we have real quality and strength in depth. Still think we will see 1 maybe 2 more signings and haven't given up hope yet that Nosser will put pen to paper. COYR's  

From what I've seen of Smith so far he looks like the sort of player who goes about his job quietly and effectively, just sitting and controlling it centrally and barely missing a pass. One of those unsung heroes that every successful team needs. He looks a quality signing who clearly is playing at a level lower than he should be. He's only come here for one thing...promotion.     

Just not long got back..

Korey Smith and Luke Freeman look outstanding. Smith is the missing player in midfield we have been crying out for! He was everywhere, as was Freeman. The Chelt players couldn't get near LF.

I have to say but we looked a lot better without JET early in the second half, we looked a tight unit and always a threat going forward. Also very impressed with Wilbs, for a tall bloke he is very mobile and has a great touch.

Flint looked solid and scored a great header, Ayling got caught a couple times in the second half but looked solid. Williams was good too!

Overall, a very good performance from the boys, however, El Abd looked suspect again! He gets caught with the long ball far too often, it's frightening.

Nobody mentioning Elliot. Easy best player for us , aprt from freeman perhaps.

HIm, Freeman, Wagstaff combining well. Sammy looking sharp

Liked Ayling, good engine doing a job for the team got some skills as well

Not at all convinced by FF as keeper, think we need to get someone in imo

El Abd still looks like an accident waiting to happen, feel sorry for him God only knows what SC saw in him?? Wont get a game anyway at that rate.

NIce view of the cotswolds.. lost a few balls over next doors garden.

one way system? needs some work.

Nobody mentioning Elliot. Easy best player for us , aprt from freeman perhaps.

HIm, Freeman, Wagstaff combining well. Sammy looking sharp

Liked Ayling, good engine doing a job for the team got some skills as well

Not at all convinced by FF as keeper, think we need to get someone in imo

El Abd still looks like an accident waiting to happen, feel sorry for him God only knows what SC saw in him?? Wont get a game anyway at that rate.

NIce view of the cotswolds.. lost a few balls over next doors garden.

one way system? needs some work.

I was just about to ask how el abd was. Shame as I am willing to give him a clean slate this season, but sounds like if his form is still pap he will cost us bigtime, really hope if he starts against sheff u he will pick his game up or we will get mullerd. We need Osborne back and I would have little in at RWB in the home games and waggy away (offers a lot of protection, could call him the durex of our team). Flint started to look more solid before his injury so maybe have him in against before Osborne is back, el abd said himself that his form has been dogshit, just hope he can do something about it!

Another thing, we seen David Flitcroft walk through Chelts bar just before kick off. He was walking with a couple blokes, one of them was with City.

Bit of a strange one that! He's not a manager of anybody now is he?

I'm worried for when we play Sheffield united. Only 2 defenders fit who look comfortable in a 3 are Williams and flint. We havn't got any more friendlies left and in the friendlies we have had we havn't been tested properly. I wasn't in Botswana but I'm guessing that the opposition midfield and forwards were not league 1 standard.

Fielding didn't have a save to make tonight but that isn't to say Cheltenham didn't have opportunities. They managed to get through too easily on a couple of occasions and showed why they're forwards are in league 2 with the poor finishing. And that's not even taking into account individual unforced errors at the back causing unnecessary pressure.

I feel it's going to be a month or so of hoping we score more than the opposition in order to pick up points and we will end up getting a late signing. Either that or he ditches the back 3, which I don't think he will do as everything else is geared towards wingbacks. I just don't feel Osborne is comfortable in a 3 either.

I thought that SC's comments when he signed about finding his best position were both interesting and encouraging.

Get the impression we might be in a position to get even more out of him than folks have before, mainly because we have a big enough squad to not be forced into playing him in one position.

Could be a very, very exciting addition.

Yeah agreed, I think he will be a fantastic addition. His ability to play very well in more than one position will be a huge plus

Great, teams can double up on one player but not more, JET and Freeman are great talents. Add some pace down the flanks from Little and Greg/Bryan/Wes and that is problems for the opposition. My only concern this year is the defence

Yeah going forward we look very dangerous. I think defensively there is still a concern. Ayling was superb second half but not great in the first half. I like the idea of two 'ball playing' centre backs either side of a 'ball winner' like Osborne though but it depends if they can all adapt to a back 3.

My big concern Is El Abd, I thought he looked truely awful in the first half.

His positioning was all over the place and kept missing tackles, fowliing and just being useless. We looked so much stronger with Flint in the 2nd half.

Archived