IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

YDTD Idea No.2

For this season only allow Dolman Season Ticket Holders into the Dolman Bar and use that as another entrance.

Yes it will upset a few but the whole redevelopment was going to upset a few. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer that than missing the first 15 mins anyway

But I advise to announce it on Twitter, Official Site, Maybe a quick YouTube Video or something plus the emails and letters going out. And when people by Dolman Tickets maybe printing a little notice on it saying Queues likely after 2:30 something to let non season ticket holders know as well

Anyway out of ideas now adios

Best Case scenario would be 1500-2000 people getting in through the turnstiles between 2.30 and 3pm? I would suggest you are going to need more than luck to get everyone into a stand holding over 4500, even if they all turn up at least 30 minutes before kick-off.

This needs looking at very carefully indeed before the first home game.

Wouldn't one every 10 seconds mean 360 an hour? so think its more one every 6 seconds. Or my maths could just be off :/  Oh bloody hell, glad I'm in the Atyeo anyway.

Yup your right, which is even more unrealistic. Although the 58.5 mins will still be accurate.

Dave L suggests you should be fine if you get there at 2.30, but only if 2264 are already in before that point (if the stand is full). If at 2:30 less than 2264 are already in you could arrive at 2:31 and miss kick-off

2pm is a bit early, but I would recommend 2.30 if you want to be certain of getting in. We will be sending out mailshots etc nearer the time, but i wanted to put a heads up on here so people are aware.

2.30 still doesn't work based on the model above, half the ticket holders would already have to be in and I would be surprised if that was the case.

But only if the message is "out there" - match day 1, we all know will be busy. Always been intrigued by how many of our matchday supporters actually read OTIB 10% ???, I'll copy this onto WTMS and Ziderheads.

Was anything like this put in the mailshot that went out with the season tickets? That would have nailed it so everyone was aware

Not sure people should be expected to change a "matchday routine", but that will be down to the individual supporter.

Like the idea muted above about fans being able to exit the DEH into the stand, and assistance to the turnstiles has to be a benefit?

Have to say these are concerning numbers

Each turnstile can take a maximum of 600 per hour. (Or one every 10 seconds, yeh right!)

8 x 600 = 4800 per hour

Capacity 4664

Who gets to the ground at 2pm when their seat is reserved??,

Me :facepalm:

This also assumes the Dolman is going to be fully packed every game...

Which is quite likely when you look at how low the ground capacity is for next season, and the fact you cant buy a ticket in the atyeo without a child with you (unless you already have a ST there)

The best possible solution is to use the DEH for this season only - 8 turnstiles (at best case scenario) for the entire stand is a disaster waiting to happen. It might not be ideal but the club have to find a way to make this less of a risk. Once everyone's in they'll have to get to their seats/use the toilets etc and if the queues dictate that this is after KO it'll be chaos.

They can, but many of them like to meet up with friends in the Dolman bar

Well we all got to make a few changes over the next couple of years, like moving seats, restricted views. I'm sure those in the Williams and Atyeo can find somewhere else to have a beer if it means us who use the Dolman can get in a bit easier. It would make things much easier for us to get in early and go in the Dolman hall out of the way.

Well we all got to go through a bit of pain during the redevelopment..... , look at all the messing about with seating etc so not having a pre-match drink in the DEH for a season surely wont be too much of a burden.

Actually think this is worth considering, Dave. I agree that people have to arrive early which is part and parcel of everyone being patient with the redevelopment.

However, the figures for getting people through turnstiles do sound very ambitious to me. I honestly can't see season ticket holders with reserved seats arriving that early.

Perhaps the club could somehow only allow access to Dolman bar after having your ticket scanned and then people simply exit the bar to find their seats. That way Dolman ticket holders can 'get in' early to reduce turnstile queues. You could also restrict access to the bar to only Dolman ticket holders after 2pm. This way Atyeo/Williams ticket holders can still drink with friends pre kick-off but by 2pm the focus shifts to getting Dolman ticket holders in on time. If Dolman ticket holders had the option of 'being in' once they're in the dolman bar then they may be more inclined to arrive early?

If this is too complicated then you could always restrict access to the dolman bar to Dolman ticket holders only. I know this is not ideal in terms of business for the club but it would be a way of encouraging the Dolman fans in early and would relieve turnstile pressure. This might reduce takings and upset Atyeo/Williams ticket holders but hey-ho, just one of those things! It could at least be considered as a Plan B should everything go tits up on the opening day!

Translation: We would lose half our customers who would go and drink elsewhere, so we wont do it even if its better for the fans

Alternative : people who don't normally drink the DEH will go there to make sure they are in on time, meaning more custom

Translation: We would lose half our customers who would go and drink elsewhere, so we wont do it even if its better for the fans

Bit Cynical, but yes that's got to be a big consideration for the club. I think they at least need to consider this as a plan B should everything go tits up on the opening day. Yes, they're going to be reluctant to do it straight away as the system might actually work, despite our scepticism! However it is something they could implement if not.

Its clear what will happen - there will be large queues at 2.55 pm. As per last season panic will set in and the large gates will be opened by the stewards who dont know how to handle the situation, many fans will be given instant access to the ground via the gates WITHOUT having their ticket scanned.

Warnings or not, people will arrive at 2.50 and expect to get in quickly.

Alternative : people who don't normally drink the DEH will go there to make sure they are in on time, meaning more custom

That is a possibility, as leaving it as it is means that the Dolman ticket holders will have to leave the bar a lot earlier than they normally do so that they can get in, so spending less.

Not if everyone gets there early.

There's more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar and you know it. This has the hallmarks of getting your excuses in early.

It takes fifteen minutes to empty with the bloody gates open at both ends. God forbid we have to evacuate.

Stop pretending and come up with an even passably realistic plan.

Maybe people can get there a bit earlier on a Saturday, but the real problems will show up on night matches where it's always more of a rush. Also it might be ok on an August afternoon or evening but fast forward to a bitter night in November and people naturally will want to leave it as late as possible to arrive.

Also what the hell is there to do sat in your seat for an hour before. The music played is usually so loud you can only communicate by sign language with the person sat just inches away from you, we aren't all part of the prawn sandwich brigade. If the club wants us there early treat us like they do.

This also assumes the Dolman is going to be fully packed every game...

From looking at the tickets for the first few league games there are only about 1300 tickets left, out of a total capacity of 4500+. I would suggest most of the already sold tickets are season tickets and using the same principle as the calculations above it will take 40-45 minutes to get all the season ticket holders in!

Advanced Warning: It ain't going to happen. How many times have the Club (any club) asked fans to arrive early and failed? Talk about heads and brick walls! Fans have routines, the match is just one part of the afternoon's entertainment for most.

As Bristol Sport has many professionals at their disposal, why not pool that resource and come up with a sensible crowd management strategy?

Some suggestions if that collective brainpower can't come up with a common sense solution. Which of the other two stands has got the lowest demand for turnstiles? Can't access be managed through those to the Dolman. Why not have removable pre match access points at the exit gates to the Dolman? With POTD boxes right next door to the Williams/Atyeo gap, why not use those gates? This has the further benefit of the fundamentally flawed, bizarre and downright customer unfriendly three step entry to the stadium being reduced to a one step entry process.

I thought Bristol Sport managing things would improve things - clearly not.

Advanced Warning: It ain't going to happen. How many times have the Club (any club) asked fans to arrive early and failed? Talk about heads and brick walls! Fans have routines, the match is just one part of the afternoon's entertainment for most.

As Bristol Sport has many professionals at their disposal, why not pool that resource and come up with a sensible crowd management strategy?

Some suggestions if that collective brainpower can't come up with a common sense solution. Which of the other two stands has got the lowest demand for turnstiles? Can't access be managed through those to the Dolman. Why not have removable pre match access points at the exit gates to the Dolman? With POTD boxes right next door to the Williams/Atyeo gap, why not use those gates? This has the further benefit of the fundamentally flawed, bizarre and downright customer unfriendly three step entry to the stadium being reduced to a one step entry process.

I thought Bristol Sport managing things would improve things - clearly not.

Why not people take responsibility a bit and turning up early and being patient.

It's not 'better for the fans', no matter what they do they're putting someone out. If it wasn't you moaning it'd be an Atyeo/Williams ST holder. Try and be a little less insular.

There's more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar and you know it. This has the hallmarks of getting your excuses in early.

Christ - an 'excuse' for asking politely people to get in a little earlier. Cry me a river.

Why not people take responsibility a bit and turning up early and being patient.

I've news for you, football fans are not renown for their patience, early arrivals or taking responsibility for anything. It seems our Club are as disconnected from the real world.

No problem with the request (which around 100 people would alter their behaviour in response), it just needs to be one part of a wider strategy. Seems pretty clear it's the only part.

My frustration is the Club never learn from their past mistakes. As they say, failures are 'learning experiences', our Club just doesn't learn.

As a Dolman season ticket holder of many years, I'd like to know if my early arrival should be weighted with a comparatively early leaving time.

Say, for example I do my usual of getting in at about 5 to 3 and then leave on 85 minutes, if I get to the Gate at 2pm to beat the rush would I be expected to leave shortly after the second half starts?

As a Dolman season ticket holder of many years, I'd like to know if my early arrival should be weighted with a comparatively early leaving time.

Say, for example I do my usual of getting in at about 5 to 3 and then leave on 85 minutes, if I get to the Gate at 2pm to beat the rush would I be expected to leave shortly after the second half starts?

Now you've opened a can of worms.

Actually, I've had a sneaky preview of tomorrow's Club announcement to do with the Dolman exit strategy. Apparently, those who turn up at 2:00pm will be expected to leave before kick off. That's the reason they can't use the exit gates pre-match for people entering the stadium.

Archived