IGNORED

Dolman Stand Access - Important Information

Dave L

Whoever came up with this plan lives in a fantasy world with no knowledge of crowd flow or peoples' behaviour. In this fantasy world 8 turnstile @ 600 people per hour will cope perfectly with a max capacity of 4664. However, the plan only works if exactly 80 people per minute arrive for every minute starting one hour before kick off. i e

8 turnstiles @ 10 people per minute each = 80 people per minute.

80 people x 58.3 minutes = 4664 capacity

Can anyone explain to me how the club is going to ensure we get this steady flow of 80 people per minute arriving?

Message to Dave L - it's not your fault but get a plan B quick.

Can anyone explain to me how the club is going to ensure we get this steady flow of 80 people per minute arriving?

That question is only necessary if you plan to completely eliminate queuing. If people turn up early they'll get in on time. The attitude of 'well no one's going to' is a bit pathetic, sufficient warning's being given, if you subsequently get in late it's your own fault.

There's more chance of Lord Lucan turning up on Shergar and you know it. This has the hallmarks of getting your excuses in early.

It takes fifteen minutes to empty with the bloody gates open at both ends. God forbid we have to evacuate.

Stop pretending and come up with an even passably realistic plan.

if that ever happened they would evecuate onto the pitch

It's not 'better for the fans', no matter what they do they're putting someone out. If it wasn't you moaning it'd be an Atyeo/Williams ST holder. Try and be a little less insular.

Christ - an 'excuse' for asking politely people to get in a little earlier. Cry me a river.

Im not being insular at all, Im sitting in the Williams next season!

The truth of the matter is it is entirely possible you could turn up at 2:15 and miss kick-off! That cannot be acceptable!

That question is only necessary if you plan to completely eliminate queuing. If people turn up early they'll get in on time. The attitude of 'well no one's going to' is a bit pathetic, sufficient warning's being given, if you subsequently get in late it's your own fault.

But it wouldn't do any harm at all to make arriving early as attractive an option as possible. Opening the DEH exclusively to people that have already gone through the turnstiles would at least help towards this.

The number of people that drink in the DEH from other stands and who wouldn't just revert to a cider/beer/coffee/whatever in their own stand would be minimal, and may well be outweighed by the number of people who would use the facility when they normally wouldn't.

I've news for you, football fans are not renown for their patience, early arrivals or taking responsibility for anything. It seems our Club are as disconnected from the real world.

No problem with the request (which around 100 people would alter their behaviour in response), it just needs to be one part of a wider strategy. Seems pretty clear it's the only part.

My frustration is the Club never learn from their past mistakes. As they say, failures are 'learning experiences', our Club just doesn't learn.

why don't we just move away from ashton gate while its rebuilt ground share with swindon or somthing? disruption is going to happen get over it,

its **** all to do with the club being disconnected from the fans

Why not people take responsibility a bit and turning up early and being patient.

Look at the maths.  If Dave L's 600ph figures are correct it isn't turning up a bit earlier, it is getting an awful lot of people to turn up extremely early.  Some people can't, just look at the stream of people arriving after kick off for an evening game, it is hard enough to get in on time as it was last season, many people couldn't.

why don't we just move away from ashton gate while its rebuilt ground share with swindon or somthing? disruption is going to happen get over it,

its **** all to do with the club being disconnected from the fans

The Club is totally and utterly disconnected from the fans as far as access to the stadium is concerned. It is nothing short of a joke.

As someone who does a 200 mile round trip for home matches to turn up at the first game of last season at 2:25 pm and not get into the stadium until 3:40 pm is totally unacceptable. It's happened time and time again.

Nothing to do with the stadium rebuild, we are hopeless at getting people into the stadium. The Dolman announcement for this season access arrangements just demonstrates how complacent the Club is about it's customers. Yes, we all know there's going to be disruption but, hey, why not try your best to minimise the problems. Anyone, bar a Club official it seems, can observe from the figures that it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If people turn up early there is no guarantee that they'll get in on time. As mentioned in a previous post, if 50% turn up 30 minutes early, they'll only get in on time if the other 50% are already in the ground. On the other hand, if everyone turned up at 2.00 o'clock (unlikely) they'd all get in on time but some would have to queue for 58 minutes. The only way to overcome either having long queues or not getting in on time is to have a steady flow of people arriving. This, in the real world, doesn't happen.

If people go to the cinema, theatre etc, they aren't told to arrive an hour early.

Look at the maths.  If Dave L's 600ph figures are correct it isn't turning up a bit earlier, it is getting an awful lot of people to turn up extremely early.  Some people can't, just look at the stream of people arriving after kick off for an evening game, it is hard enough to get in on time as it was last season, many people couldn't.

Might be an idea for the club to make night matches an 8pm kick off.

Can we not just open the big gates and park a row of portable turnstiles across the gap, plug them in and away you go. Once their use has been finished close the gates and tow the portable turnstiles away, which can always be done if the exit is required and they are still in place. Robert's your father's brother, solved.

If people turn up early there is no guarantee that they'll get in on time. As mentioned in a previous post, if 50% turn up 30 minutes early, they'll only get in on time if the other 50% are already in the ground. On the other hand, if everyone turned up at 2.00 o'clock (unlikely) they'd all get in on time but some would have to queue for 58 minutes. The only way to overcome either having long queues or not getting in on time is to have a steady flow of people arriving. This, in the real world, doesn't happen.

If people go to the cinema, theatre etc, they aren't told to arrive an hour early.

In all seriousness, I would imagine people will soon get used to the idea of getting in to the ground early once they've been late a few times. The only games I can see this being a massive issue for are the midweek games when people often have to rush as it is.

But only if the message is "out there" - match day 1, we all know will be busy. Always been intrigued by how many of our matchday supporters actually read OTIB 10% ???, I'll copy this onto WTMS and Ziderheads.

Was anything like this put in the mailshot that went out with the season tickets? That would have nailed it so everyone was aware

Not sure people should be expected to change a "matchday routine", but that will be down to the individual supporter.

Like the idea muted above about fans being able to exit the DEH into the stand, and assistance to the turnstiles has to be a benefit?

Have to say these are concerning numbers

Each turnstile can take a maximum of 600 per hour. (Or one every 10 seconds, yeh right!)

8 x 600 = 4800 per hour

Capacity 4664

Who gets to the ground at 2pm when their seat is reserved??,

Jeeesus, can just see it now, 4 turnstiles open, smart card system broken (again) and 4000 angry punters in a MASSIVE queue at 15:05

I think this is the main concern. The existing turnstiles are so unreliable that even if the proposed system were to work (unlikely) then even a minor malfunction in one or two of the turnstiles and everyone is screwed.

I would like to think that the club will have someone on the ground qualified to make quick decisions in the event that something goes wrong to try and ensure people can still get into the ground.

I generally get to the DEH at 2ish for a drink or two before going into the ground at around 2.45. I am fortunate enough that i can easily adjust this and move everything forward by 15 minutes to get to the turnstiles at 2.30 however i can envisige that doing this will still result in my missing the start of numerous games due to malfunctions.

Be fair Reg, they have told us. Which is an improvement.

It's like a coded warning! Get to the ground earlier than usual and you might see the game start. Back to your earlier question re leaving, if there's the usual turnstile breakdown and the queues are really long, you might get to the front of the queue just in time to nip in the DEH for a HT pint!

It's like a coded warning! Get to the ground earlier than usual and you might see the game start. Back to your earlier question re leaving, if there's the usual turnstile breakdown and the queues are really long, you might get to the front of the queue just in time to nip in the DEH for a HT pint!

Nothing would make me happier than a pint of Carling at close to four quid served in a plastic glass. Well, apart from a mild tropical dieses, or a badly sprained ankle.

My suggestion for what it's worth.

As well as the turnstyles being open they can open the exit gates fully, put some temporary gate lanes in with stewards standing at the front, all they need to do is check ST's and let people through.

At least some fans are coming up with sensible suggestions which the club could and should look at:

1. Temporary turnstiles across the exit gates that can be quickly moved aside if required

2. or as above simply put some mobile barriers across with Stewards checking tickets

3. Access to the Dolman Bar must be made available to those who have passed through the turnstiles - what about

via the new entrance being constructed where block N (Dolman Lower) was/is being removed.

4. Access via  Atyeo for some Dolman Blocks

Come on BCFC - a simple "turn up early" is wholly inadequate .......for the following reasons:

If everybody (4000) turned up at 2pm then it's chaos at that moment,  Even the theory will only work

if - as stated - an even number arrive at each minute between 2 and 3 pm....how could that possibly be achieved

Dave L' s suggestion to arrive at 2.30 will clearly not work - the simple maths prove it

Dave L - If access is to denied to the DEH to at least provide somewhere to go then consider this,  If it's raining

and you sit in the lower Dolman or rows A- H in the Upper Dolman do you seriously expect fans to start arriving

from 2 pm and then sit in the rain for up to an hour? 

Dave L - As supporters were not made aware of the major disruption now required to our travel arrangements/timings

will the club allow a transfer (without incurring any fee)  of S/T seat to the Williams for those unable to accommodate the new early arrival requirement.?

I'm sure club officials can easily arrive early when required, park in their space outside the Williams and stroll into the bar/hospitality/offices etc but for the average working fan it's a major upheaval , train times, work, parking etc- nobody wants to miss KO and the ticket scanning

problems last year causing the gates to be opened showed clearly how quickly queues build up when difficulties -

actually planning to go into the season with such restrictions WILL cause chaos so please ask the Stadium Manager to think about

a solution now.

At least some fans are coming up with sensible suggestions which the club could and should look at:

1. Temporary turnstiles across the exit gates that can be quickly moved aside if required

2. or as above simply put some mobile barriers across with Stewards checking tickets

3. Access to the Dolman Bar must be made available to those who have passed through the turnstiles - what about

via the new entrance being constructed where block N (Dolman Lower) was/is being removed.

4. Access via Atyeo for some Dolman Blocks

Come on BCFC - a simple "turn up early" is wholly inadequate .......for the following reasons:

If everybody (4000) turned up at 2pm then it's chaos at that moment, Even the theory will only work

if - as stated - an even number arrive at each minute between 2 and 3 pm....how could that possibly be achieved

Dave L' s suggestion to arrive at 2.30 will clearly not work - the simple maths prove it

Dave L - If access is to denied to the DEH to at least provide somewhere to go then consider this, If it's raining

and you sit in the lower Dolman or rows A- H in the Upper Dolman do you seriously expect fans to start arriving

from 2 pm and then sit in the rain for up to an hour?

Dave L - As supporters were not made aware of the major disruption now required to our travel arrangements/timings

will the club allow a transfer (without incurring any fee) of S/T seat to the Williams for those unable to accommodate the new early arrival requirement.?

I'm sure club officials can easily arrive early when required, park in their space outside the Williams and stroll into the bar/hospitality/offices etc but for the average working fan it's a major upheaval , train times, work, parking etc- nobody wants to miss KO and the ticket scanning

problems last year causing the gates to be opened showed clearly how quickly queues build up when difficulties -

actually planning to go into the season with such restrictions WILL cause chaos so please ask the Stadium Manager to think about

a solution now.

We'll all get wet when the roof comes off the Dolman.

Archived