IGNORED

English National Anthem

riddlesdown red

Just watching commonwealth games and see that like the cricket team the athletes use Jerusalem as the national anthem. Would a change of anthem for our football team change their fortunes? Personally I think god save the queen is to bland and to short to stir the loins and would love Jerusalem or land of hope and glory to replace GSTQ but the FA would not hear of it.

'England' by Angelic Upstarts...very patriotic

Or This Is England by The Clash. The not real Clash admittedly, but a bunch of Bristolians + Strummer. Only decent song on the final album.

Actually any bloody song but turgid, cringeworthy, servile God Save The Queen, which ISN'T an English anthem. She's Queen of the UK, not just England.

By singing it, we subsume and deny our national identity.

It makes my skin crawl when I hear it at football.

Or This Is England by The Clash. The not real Clash admittedly, but a bunch of Bristolians + Strummer. Only decent song on the final album.

Actually any bloody song but turgid, cringeworthy, servile God Save The Queen, which ISN'T an English anthem. She's Queen of the UK, not just England.

By singing it, we subsume and deny our national identity.

It makes my skin crawl when I hear it at football.

Technically she is queen of much more than the UK, including Australia etc.

England doesn't have an official national anthem. God Save the Queen represents GB. I think 'Jerusalem' would be great, I was thinking that it is time to change it for the football. No disrespect to the Queen, but England should have its own anthem

Always thought that the national anthem should be rule britania or land of hope and glory

The problem with Rule Britania is most people sing the wrong words. They're close, but the mistake completely changes the meaning.

Yes, GSTQ is Britain's National Anthem, but it was written when Bonnie Prince Charlie was leading a Scottish army towards London to replace King Georg with himself.

Verse six (hardly ever sung these days) makes it your duty as an Englishman to do in the nearest Scot. We still use it though as the anthem of the UK, not just England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/1571287/God-Save-the-Queen-lyrics.html

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King

Just watching commonwealth games and see that like the cricket team the athletes use Jerusalem as the national anthem. Would a change of anthem for our football team change their fortunes? Personally I think god save the queen is to bland and to short to stir the loins and would love Jerusalem or land of hope and glory to replace GSTQ but the FA would not hear of it.

Only a change of management and a change of playing personnel will change our fortunes. Oh and a change of culture from the FA.

Archived