IGNORED

Fao David Lloyd

Gillies Downs Leeds

I'm not sure what the big problem with Flares/Pyro's or whatever you want to call them, in this country.

Just seems harmless fun to me, and definitely helps create an atmosphere. 

Why is it that in this country, they seem such a crime, but yet abroad they are urged to bring them into grounds?

Makes no sense to me.

It would probably help a little if the stewards new what area is what, the amount of times I saw them checking tickets and not knowing where to direct people in the Williams last night was almost farcical and then to top it off they just told people with paper tickets to go in e block, singing section

I found it much easier to find space last night.  I was down the front of E block as I had a young child with me, and so was able to witness the amount of mostly teenagers trying it on and saying they had a ticket for E block, the steward asking to see their ticket, whereupon they magically remembered, they were actually in F block, or in a few cases block L.

The stewards have a difficult job, but the approach taken last night seemed to make things go much more smoothly, and to ensure only those who have paid for a ticket in E block were in there.

We are aware of those issues. Making this area work presents a set of challenges for fans and staff alike. Over the next few games our stewards will work with supporters to make sure that gangways are kept clear and that people remain seated in areas where that is the rule.

Fans standing in the gangways is obviously breaking health and safety rules. That said surely in view of the redevelopments at AG these type of problems could have been anticipated?

It would be straightforward enough to inform the stewards to be more alert to that type problem.

A thank you to the Williams Eastenders for co-operation and a reminder about consequences to be expected re any thoughts of smoke bombs.

Thought it was a good touch in itself but this is clearly going to be an on-going issue.

Safe-standing is the only obvious solution, imo. But how long have we been saying that to the dopey authorities ?

Dave also apologised for the delay getting into the Dolman and Atyeo stands and explained that the process was still being refined during the rebuild work (I paraphrase). Thought it was a nice touch.

I'm sure he also said he'd buy anyone a free beer if they bigged him up on OTIB.  Nice chap, Dave.

• Admin

It would be straightforward enough to inform the stewards to be more alert to that type problem.

Don't all the stewards working on the night still all meet and get a run down of any updated information prior to the game?

What is sad is that clearly there are messages that are given on here, but for whatever reason seem to consistently not be communicated down to those that matter on the match day

Don't all the stewards working on the night still all meet and get a run down of any updated information prior to the game?

What is sad is that clearly there are messages that are given on here, but for whatever reason seem to consistently not be communicated down to those that matter on the match day

The stewards are well briefed. Unfortunately if sufficient supporters continue trying to get into areas for which they don't have a ticket this can be very difficult to police without resorting to the sort of heavy handed tactics which have attracted criticism in the past. That is not the route anyone wants to go down. Supporters have to accept responsibility too and not just blame 'the club' when things go wrong. I am sure that after a few games, by working together, we will have evolved a situation where everyone understands their responsibilities.

We really want the 'singing section' to be a success, and in terms of bringing atmosphere and noise to the stadium it is already adding a lot.

Smoke bombs are dangerous to some peoples health, especially those with breathing difficulties (asthma etc, etc).

Should people with breathing problems be penalised (or even worse) due to someone wanting to have some fun?.

The difference between this country and abroad is that authorities abroad don't care about a persons health & safety, you only have to see there attitude to football violence.

No bans over there, just a good old fashioned beating with a baton.

• Admin

Smoke bombs are dangerous to some peoples health, especially those with breathing difficulties (asthma etc, etc).

Should people with breathing problems be penalised (or even worse) due to someone wanting to have some fun?.

The difference between this country and abroad is that authorities abroad don't care about a persons health & safety, you only have to see there attitude to football violence.

Is that factually correct though?

If as you imply HSE is different over here, why are these products even sold?

Are you telling me that not one supporter at any of these games abroad has breathing problems?

Not sure how to post pictures on here, but have seen pictures from 1000's of people to 10's of people at games using smoke bombs....

One thing that does annoy me on here is the number of times people confuse a flare with a smoke bomb!

The smoke itself is not very toxic; it consists mostly of CO2, nitrogen, water vapor, and potassium carbonate

I'm not sure what the big problem with Flares/Pyro's or whatever you want to call them, in this country.

Just seems harmless fun to me, and definitely helps create an atmosphere.

Why is it that in this country, they seem such a crime, but yet abroad they are urged to bring them into grounds?

Makes no sense to me.

Pyrotechiques burn at a high temperature and can easily cause serious injuries in a confined space such as a football stand.

Some types of flares are basically a rocket. Once fired there is no guarantee where it will go or what it will hit.

Smoke bombs do not burn to high temperatures, but they cause a lot of problems for disabled supporters, youngsters and people with asthma

Simple

I don't understand the whole obsession with smoke bombs either, I got caught up in the one Saturday, I couldn't breathe and it stank, yes its a laugh but if someone has underlying health issues or a condition like asthma it could be serious.

However  BANNING someone for letting one off seems way over the top, at the end of the day they are doing it for the right reasons too create an 'atmosphere', and not thinking about the potential more serious consequences. I think the club should give people a warning and second time a ban, this would be much fairer and mean the club would not be alienating supporters. As we all want city to do well we just support the team in different ways.  

As for the original poster I can understand the gripes with people standing in seated areas all game as not everyone can and it might impede people's views. If its effecting people directly then they should tell stewards, if not then stop moaning and support the team!

But dont we all have to make sacrifices?

It seems more trouble than its worth

Most of the trouble on Saturday was down to people getting annoyed by others who were in the block but didn't have a season ticket for there, as was proven by the amount of people turned away last night.

I think it was always going to be a difficult transition bringing the Eastend into the Williams. From what I understand more people want to stand than were allowed for, perhaps people bought their seated tickets thinking that they would just be allowed to stand anyway.

Other people in the stand have either wanted to join them or have taken exception as after all the Eastenders have been given reduced rates so pay less for their seat than people only a gangway apart.

That's what I gather from the mumblings I heard around the ground anyway.

Dave also apologised for the delay getting into the Dolman and Atyeo stands and explained that the process was still being refined during the rebuild work (I paraphrase). Thought it was a nice touch.

I'm sure he also said he'd buy anyone a free beer if they bigged him up on OTIB.  Nice chap, Dave.

Although there were queues, I thought the Atyeo queues moved quickly - missed the first 5-10 minutes but as someone pointed out, "if they open the gates and get stewards to check tickets some s****horpe's are going to start pushing to get in."

However  BANNING someone for letting one off seems way over the top, at the end of the day they are doing it for the right reasons too create an 'atmosphere', and not thinking about the potential more serious consequences. I think the club should give people a warning and second time a ban, this would be much fairer and mean the club would not be alienating supporters. As we all want city to do well we just support the team in different ways.

a first time warning? so every man and woman child can let off a smoke bomb and receive a warning? when you can get arrested for having one if the police think you're going to take it into football?

It's a high profile issue in England, regardless of how much damage they cause.

The police don't trust football fans as it is - if clubs don't make an example of fans that break the rules, they will. The club will then be an easy target for the police to cash in on everytime they play.

It looks like the laws on these surround the various restrictions in the late 80's - I think we are in much a better position to prove the safety of standing at football than the use of pyro's

In regards to the Pryo's I was going to take a friend who has cystic fibrosis to the game yesterday but decided against it due to the flare/smoke bomb at the Colchester game, if I would have done this, being situated near to where the smoke bomb (a block over) was set off it could have caused a serious incident. To those saying its harmless fun or if its an 'over the top' reaction to ban someone need to think of others and they're possible ailments and how it could potentially cause serious harm.

You say that, but Norway changed it's law recently to allow any pyro as long as you inform the club beforehand.

Now, Norway, a civilised European Country Isn't it?

You sir, have a very very narrow minded approach. Linking pyro, to people wanting to fight each other is laughable young man.

Archived