IGNORED

Fao David Lloyd

Gillies Downs Leeds

Pyrotechiques burn at a high temperature and can easily cause serious injuries in a confined space such as a football stand.

Some types of flares are basically a rocket. Once fired there is no guarantee where it will go or what it will hit.

Smoke bombs do not burn to high temperatures, but they cause a lot of problems for disabled supporters, youngsters and people with asthma

Simple

How do people who paintballing cope then?

Out of interest does anyone actually know of someone that has suffered in ANY way due to a SMOKE bomb?

Shows the world we live in, people getting murdered and dying all over the Middle East, and people in this country are concerned about non toxic smoke.

I don't understand the whole obsession with smoke bombs either, I got caught up in the one Saturday, I couldn't breathe and it stank, yes its a laugh but if someone has underlying health issues or a condition like asthma it could be serious.

However  BANNING someone for letting one off seems way over the top, at the end of the day they are doing it for the right reasons too create an 'atmosphere', and not thinking about the potential more serious consequences. I think the club should give people a warning and second time a ban, this would be much fairer and mean the club would not be alienating supporters. As we all want city to do well we just support the team in different ways.  

As for the original poster I can understand the gripes with people standing in seated areas all game as not everyone can and it might impede people's views. If its effecting people directly then they should tell stewards, if not then stop moaning and support the team!

What a ridiculous post.

'Fairer', seriously?

DL's post clearly states the clubs (and many others in England) position on smoke bombs/flares in the stadium. It's simple, don't do it. If you do, the consequences have been made perfectly clear. Don't see why people need a warning first.

Shows the world we live in, people getting murdered and dying all over the Middle East, and people in this country are concerned about non toxic smoke.

Yes, non-toxic smoke (i suppose you have read the contents of the smoke bomb used?) that could cause serious damage to people with life inhibiting diseases. 

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it wont affect others.

This is something which seems to be lost on almost everyone.

Yes because you can only be concerned about one or the other, what a moronic but predictable response.

He wasn't making anything up. The front two rows, as well as the lower left block E are supposed to be strictly seated in order to help keep gangways clear and so that those seated in block D can see the pitch. Everyone who bought a ticket in those seats was told this at the point of purchase. Over the next few games staff will work with fans to reinforce that message and make sure that the singing section is a success and a place where fans can support their team in safety.

My ST is in lower left block E and I was told when I purchased it that I will be allowed to stand unless a game is on TV

People who go paintballing wear protective clothing. They also choose to do this activity. If a flare or smoke bomb is set off in a football ground the spectators who are affected do not have a choice. They have to sit / stand in the smoke etc even if it is detrimental to their health and / or safety.

What a ridiculous post.

'Fairer', seriously?

DL's post clearly states the clubs (and many others in England) position on smoke bombs/flares in the stadium. It's simple, don't do it. If you do, the consequences have been made perfectly clear. Don't see why people need a warning first.

Totally agree.

What a ridiculous post.

'Fairer', seriously?

What is ridiculous is the bureaucracy of the law in this country and the criminalisation of football fans. I wasn't aware of the law against flares and smoke bombs before Dave L's last post  I thought it was club policy. 6 months in jail for letting off a smoke bomb at football, heavy sentence if you ask me when murderers and people who genuinely effect others lives can be out in a couple of years.

I wouldn't think that people who suffer from breathing problems would go anywhere near a paintballing arena, plus it is outdoors and the smoke disappears pretty quickly.   In an enclosed football stand, smoke lingers.

And in reply to Phantom, yes I do know someone.

Now if there was an area of the stadium that was clearly advertised as a pyro zone and far enough away from others stands to not affect them, then I can't see a problem.   The problem I and loads of other fans have is when they are let off without any warning and in an enclosed space.

Dave also apologised for the delay getting into the Dolman and Atyeo stands and explained that the process was still being refined during the rebuild work (I paraphrase). Thought it was a nice touch.

I'm sure he also said he'd buy anyone a free beer if they bigged him up on OTIB.  Nice chap, Dave.

Was there a delay getting into the Dolman?  We went in about 20minutes before k.o. no queue whatsoever.  Scanner worked and everything was well under 6 seconds, nearer 3.

What is ridiculous is the bureaucracy of the law in this country and the criminalisation of football fans. I wasn't aware of the law against flares and smoke bombs before Dave L's last post  I thought it was club policy. 6 months in jail for letting off a smoke bomb at football, heavy sentence if you ask me when murderers and people who genuinely effect others lives can be out in a couple of years.

if you don't like the punishment then don't so it. It really is that simple.

I'm an asthmatic so every time a smoke bomb goes off I have to get on my bike or risk having an attack in the middle of a football match.

I can understand people think they're a bit of fun which they are but to people like me they are dangerous, but of course its a minority so I dont expect much attention to be paid, its only natural.

Also, I don't know what policy you have to find the people that let them off but certainly last nights tactic of aggressively pushing past fans to stand in the area it went off hoping for another one to go off wasnt working...

And no effort was made on the last day of the eastend to find the culprits so why is this different?

The sooner the South Stand is built the better for everyone.

For me the natural way to watch football is to stand for 45 Sit at half time rest your legs and then stand again for 45.. Clearly this is not the choice of some fans and fair enough.. Obviously you have a mishmash of fans in the Williams at the moment so its going to be awkward.

I just hope normal service resumes when the South stand is up and running and the east end lot can get back to doing as they please without annoying other fans.

The sooner the South Stand is built the better for everyone.

For me the natural way to watch football is to stand for 45 Sit at half time rest your legs and then stand again for 45.. Clearly this is not the choice of some fans and fair enough.. Obviously you have a mishmash of fans in the Williams at the moment so its going to be awkward.

I just hope normal service resumes when the South stand is up and running and the east end lot can get back to doing as they please without annoying other fans.

This South Stand. Community corner one side, boxes tuther and the occupants of the Atyeo inbetween = Up by the away fan boys.

There was a smoke bomb. I know some people think they are harmless and will continue to try and bring them in, but the club, the safety authorities and the police don't share that view.

The person responsible for Saturdays smoke bomb has been arrested and bailed.

They are now banned from Ashton Gate.

If found guilty the police will push for a three year national ban. They could even face a six month prison sentence.

Once we identify the person (s) responsible for last night's smoke bomb, then the same process will happen, and so on and so on.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to bring flares, smoke bombs etc into Ashton Gate might need to get used to listening to matches on Radio Bristol for the next 3 years.

I know people will hold a different view, and you can debate the pros and cons as much as you like, but that is very clearly the club's policy.

I'll have to agree with your Dave. There seems to be a small group of fans who are letting these off, most people know who they are. I am sure the safety officer knows who this group is. If he can't find the individuals then perhaps they should all be banned.

Can anyone please explain, how a civilised country, like Norway, have made it all legal if it is so bad for the inhabitants health ?

The Dutch also provide pyro holders in grounds. Ignite pyro. Place pyro into pyro holder on fence. Watch pyro. When pyro is spent a Steward disposes of pyro. Nobody dies. All smiles.

This South Stand. Community corner one side, boxes tuther and the occupants of the Atyeo inbetween = Up by the away fan boys.

To be fair mate i can see it going that way aswell. Hopefully not if enough of the east end lot get together from the off and go in the south stand..

Because Norway is a perfect country and everything they do is right, that's how.

Also, Norway has a better life expectancy than the uk, so they must be doing something right Heathwise.

Then again, don't let facts blind your ignorance. I think a country with a higher life expectancy, is probably looking after the countries inhabitants better than ours.

Can anyone please explain, how a civilised country, like Norway, have made it all legal if it is so bad for the inhabitants health ?

You shouldn't compare laws in one country with those in another. For example, it's illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday in Germany! If you do a police car may arrive and the officers will tell you to stop.

To be fair mate i can see it going that way aswell. Hopefully not if enough of the east end lot get together from the off and go in the south stand..

Lads wouldn't go near the Atyeo in over a decade. This South Stand won't be the new rock and roll either ... The bush telegraph will inform the right sorts who will tell ...

Not sure why this happened, and it shouldn't have. Stewards do need to check numbers in the dolman but I don't see why they need to see your ticket.

I said that the stewards would continue this unnecessary ticket checking, despite what you said last week. Was I right or was I right?

Who is responsible for ensuring that the stewards do what they are told, rather than what pleases them?

Archived