IGNORED

Definitely 2 Points Lost....

James

Now, I might be overreacting, but how can an official get away with essentially lying. He's made the foul up, there isn't one there so he's made a conscious decision to do that. I can understand and tolerate people missing fouls and not seeing something that was there, but to see something that absolutely wasn't in any shape or form? The bloke should be struck off.  

Now, I might be overreacting, but how can an official get away with essentially lying. He's made the foul up, there isn't one there so he's made a conscious decision to do that. I can understand and tolerate people missing fouls and not seeing something that was there, but to see something that absolutely wasn't in any shape or form? The bloke should be struck off.  

You're over reacting...from the ref's angle he's probably thought Baldock impeded the GK...and it hasn't helped with the GK's and defenders reactions.

You're over reacting...from the ref's angle he's probably thought Baldock impeded the GK...and it hasn't helped with the GK's and defenders reactions.

But isn't Mike's point that the ref shouldn't just "think" something happened, he should "know" it happened, before he makes a game changing decision like ruling out a goal.

He was poor throughout IMO and should be dropped down to officiate on the Gas in the Bananarama Conf.

If this was tennis, cricket or rugby, a key decision like this would be referred to technology.  I see no reason why football has to be different.  Sure, you wouldn't want it for every decision but a disallowed goal is absolutely crucial.

With this video alone it is entirely clear that there was no foul, and a referee in the stands could have come to that conclusion very quickly.

Someone give me a reason not to do this....

But isn't Mike's point that the ref shouldn't just "think" something happened, he should "know" it happened, before he makes a game changing decision like ruling out a goal.

He was poor throughout IMO and should be dropped down to officiate on the Gas in the Bananarama Conf.

True...but the majority of decisions made by Referees are never 100%, because so many bodies are in the way, regardless of lino and refs eyes.

We either keep football the way it is...or refer to 3rd refs who have technology to refer to. It is what it is.

True...but the majority of decisions made by Referees are never 100%, because so many bodies are in the way, regardless of lino and refs eyes.

We either keep football the way it is...or refer to 3rd refs who have technology to refer to. It is what it is.

A vote here for technology before awarding a penalty or ruling out a goal.

We lost two points because some div went on his hunch that there'd been some impeding of the keeper. For all we know those two points could be crucial to us at the end of the season.

This is why there should be technology used.

Each team gets one challenge per half. You throw a flag on like in American Football. Watch replay and decision in this case could be made in less than a minute. About the same time it takes to do a substitution.

It is about time football caught up with the rest of the world of sport.

A vote here for technology before awarding a penalty or ruling out a goal.

We lost two points because some div went on his hunch that there'd been some impeding of the keeper. For all we know those two points could be crucial to us at the end of the season.

Over a season, how many points are lost or gained by the wrong decision of a ref or linesman...loads.

That's why pundits spend so much time, debating over slow motion action replays after nearly every game.

Look at the Palace goal that was scored against us and was never given...I'm sure their fans felt the same way as ours do today.

It's been like it for decades.

I however do agree with your sentiments regarding technology.

At least some football cash could be spent wisely for a change.

there should be little respect for officials.

Yeah good one, thousands of referees are being driven away by stupid attitudes like this.

If this was tennis, cricket or rugby, a key decision like this would be referred to technology.  I see no reason why football has to be different.  Sure, you wouldn't want it for every decision but a disallowed goal is absolutely crucial.

With this video alone it is entirely clear that there was no foul, and a referee in the stands could have come to that conclusion very quickly.

Someone give me a reason not to do this....

Tennis and cricket play nothing like football, for a start. With hawkeye it's either in, or it wasn't. It either carried, or it didn't, etc. It's all black and white, and play is not continuous. Technology beyond what we have would disrupt and overcomplicate the game imo, and of course make it less interesting.

To be fair, in the video the keeper seemed like he was moaning at the defenders and not appealing to the ref, doesn't stop it being a poor decision though and hopefully it will balance itself at somepoint this season

Yeah good one, thousands of referees are being driven away by stupid attitudes like this.

How is it a stupid attitude? They like to call themselves professional, they try to copy the players with their pre-match warm ups yet their performances are very regularly nothing near professional.

They demand respect yet cant breed respect due to shockers like the other night.

I suppose you're the brand of referees who've never played the game so dont understand the real life football nowadays are you? Or are you the type craving. Attention and power so you become a referee?! The only thing that turns away new referees is the local football scene, violence towards refs from players and spectators.

I wont be respecting much of our professional referees until they get easy decisions, which there was no decision to even make last night, correct.

Yes, it was a bad decision, but these things happen, we got one point instead of three, we just have to deal with it. 7 points from 9 is how we should look at it, which is a superb start for us, we won't be winning every single game, and no doubt a decision like that will go in our favour at some point along the season. Heads up, not like they should be down anyway!

Awful decision, you need to be sure of a foul to give one but the rules seem to change for keepers.

You just have to hope that over the course of the season these things tend to even themselves out. I'm sure we'll pick up a point or two thanks to a bit of luck somewhere down the line.

Tennis and cricket play nothing like football, for a start. With hawkeye it's either in, or it wasn't. It either carried, or it didn't, etc. It's all black and white, and play is not continuous. Technology beyond what we have would disrupt and overcomplicate the game imo, and of course make it less interesting.

You ignored the fact that I mentioned rugby as well, which is obviously the closest comparison and does refer "upstairs" to an official in front of a TV screen for situations like this.

I bet most people would accept a slight interruption to the game if it meant getting the decision right. In rugby it has become just part of the game, likewise tennis and cricket, and those sports are no less interesting for it. In fact the wait for a decision on the big screen has arguably even added something.

I certainly wouldn't endorse TV referrals for all decisions, but disallowing a goal, the very thing the whole team spends the whole game trying to achieve, is too big a decision to get wrong. And it happens too often.

You ignored the fact that I mentioned rugby as well, which is obviously the closest comparison and does refer "upstairs" to an official in front of a TV screen for situations like this.

I bet most people would accept a slight interruption to the game if it meant getting the decision right. In rugby it has become just part of the game, likewise tennis and cricket, and those sports are no less interesting for it. In fact the wait for a decision on the big screen has arguably even added something.

I certainly wouldn't endorse TV referrals for all decisions, but disallowing a goal, the very thing the whole team spends the whole game trying to achieve, is too big a decision to get wrong. And it happens too often.

Maybe most people would, I don't care, this is a discussion forum. You certainly would lose threads like this, discussions from pundits, arguments in the pub and so on about contentious decisions. And I'm sure it would become part and parcel of football; I don't look forward to the day when it is, though. Football is allowed to flow in a way rugby and especially cricket & tennis aren't, I'd like to keep it that way.

Archived