IGNORED

Goalkeeping Situation

Sparkz 76

I'm delighted by start and the players were attracting to the gate but the goalkeeping situation needs to be addressed ASAP. Frankie has his moments but looks very nervy and uncomfortable most of the time with punching and kicking quite poor hope it works out for frank but at the moment he make me nervous so imagine how back 3/4 feel. My first post so be easy on me.

Don't think Frank is a bad keeper. He does put me on edge a bit at times but he's done fairly well so far this season IMO.

Think he wil become more settled and composed as the season goes on if we can keep picking up results. He was never a bad player for Derby in the champ.

I agree he has done ok. Credit has to go to flint to he has been outstanding as well as the other defenders. I honestly believe frank gets stage fright because he does get the jitters. I would love to see him do well. On the other hand with no competition with no one to push him. All I'm saying is another gk is more important then agard for example.

A new poster, what do people realisticly expect from a League 1 keeper.

Yesterday we had Ledgzkins.....dropped the ball into his goal, and passed straight to Wilbrahiam who missed from 4 yards out.

Then we have Frankie, who made decent saves and bailed out some unbelievably poor, short backpasses.

Very very strange comments.

Frankie is an accident waiting to happen, he will cost us more points than he saves us over the season. I've never seen a keeper look SO unlike a keeper, so unnatural with his footwork and general play. That backpass where he went scampering backwards like some kind of reverse Fred Flinstone before he hit it had me in stitches. And his decision making is awful! How many balls did he hit out to the shortest guy on the pitch?! OK, most of them ended up in the stands but even so! 

I think he seems like a top bloke and clearly Cotts sees something in him, but my word does he make the simple stuff look bloody difficult! You can see he gives the defence absolutely zero confidence. My heart is in my mouth every time the ball goes near him.

A new poster, what do people realisticly expect from a League 1 keeper.

Yesterday we had Ledgzkins.....dropped the ball into his goal, and passed straight to Wilbrahiam who missed from 4 yards out.

Then we have Frankie, who made decent saves and bailed out some unbelievably poor, short backpasses.

Very very strange comments.

Ledgzkins was impeded by his own defender to be fair, who was sandwiched between him and Baldock so wasn't really his fault. The pass out was hilarious though. But Frankie does that pretty much every game!

I agree he has done ok. Credit has to go to flint to he has been outstanding as well as the other defenders. I honestly believe frank gets stage fright because he does get the jitters. I would love to see him do well. On the other hand with no competition with no one to push him. All I'm saying is another gk is more important then agard for example.

You're spot on about keeper over striker my friend.

Ledgzkins was impeded by his own defender to be fair, who was sandwiched between him and Baldock so wasn't really his fault. The pass out was hilarious though. But Frankie does that pretty much every game!

Thanks for giving us the reason for the disallowed goal ref......!!

Every time they have a corner my heart is in my mouth, because I know FF will be completely planted to his line whether the ball comes near him or not.. I don't want to make FF a scapegoat but everyone who watches games regularly knows his strengths and weaknesses.. A new keeper is vital to our season, but we will wait till the loan market I reckon.

Thanks for giving us the reason for the disallowed goal ref......!!

What? I didn't say it was a foul did I? Just that the keeper had no chance of getting to it for the catch. In fact I've said on multiple occasions since yesterday that it was a perfectly good goal with no foul.

All successful teams are built from the back, defensive solidity is critical. You can't underestimate the importance of a keeper that gives defenders confidence that he's going to be in the right place doing the right things.

As much as I want things to work for FF as he seems like a top bloke and model professional, I just don't think he's good enough. He looks as dodgy now as he did last August vs Bradford.

Poor decision making, rash, and distribution is terrible 9 times out of 10.

What? I didn't say it was a foul did I? Just that the keeper had no chance of getting to it for the catch. In fact I've said on multiple occasions since yesterday that it was a perfectly good goal with no foul.

All successful teams are built from the back, defensive solidity is critical. You can't underestimate the importance of a keeper that gives defenders confidence that he's going to be in the right place doing the right things.

As much as I want things to work for FF as he seems like a top bloke and model professional, I just don't think he's good enough. He looks as dodgy now as he did last August vs Bradford.

I'm genuinly astounded with these comments. More fantasy that factual as i'm sure most can appreciate.

Woah! Joking! I fully agree with you!

It really isn't though.. You clearly have your rose tinted specs on when it comes to FF.. And what are you on about more fantasy than factual?

I have no idea. Pretty sure everything I said was factual! Maybe the fantasy bit is referring to his assertion that Frankie Fielding bailed out the defenders dodgy passing, the way I saw it was the other way round!

Had to laugh when fielding rushed off his line and cleared a ball, someone near me yelled out 'THAT'S IT FRANKIE, PLAY A BIT MORE LIKE MANUEL NEUER' and another guy responses 'more like Manuel from Fawlty Towers'! :laugh:

I have no idea. Pretty sure everything I said was factual! Maybe the fantasy bit is referring to his assertion that Frankie Fielding bailed out the defenders dodgy passing, the way I saw it was the other way round!

Had to laugh when fielding rushed off his line and cleared a ball, someone near me yelled out 'THAT'S IT FRANKIE, PLAY A BIT MORE LIKE MANUEL NEUER' and another guy responses 'more like Manuel from Fawlty Towers'! :laugh:

Most keepers seem to be modelling the way Neuer plays.. when you rush out your goal and successfully intercept the ball it looks great, but when you rush out your goal.. run back, then rush out.. dance a bit then rush out again then you look a bit silly.. Bradford last season and Colchester where they hit the top goal netting springs to mind..

We have a top goalkeeping coach in David Cole who has worked at some top clubs in and around the premiership so I am sure as nice a guy as he is Cole must have spotted his limitations and is having an input into finding someone who commands his area and gives some confident vibes to his defence. Perhaps he's given him his goalkeeping book ( see Amazon) for some late night reading!!!

It really isn't though.. You clearly have your rose tinted specs on when it comes to FF.. And what are you on about more fantasy than factual?

ff wont be good enough unless he sorts out his distribution which is shit he aint a bad shot stopper but also cant read situations which aint good

Frankie is an accident waiting to happen, he will cost us more points than he saves us over the season. I've never seen a keeper look SO unlike a keeper, so unnatural with his footwork and general play. That backpass where he went scampering backwards like some kind of reverse Fred Flinstone before he hit it had me in stitches. And his decision making is awful! How many balls did he hit out to the shortest guy on the pitch?! OK, most of them ended up in the stands but even so! 

I think he seems like a top bloke and clearly Cotts sees something in him, but my word does he make the simple stuff look bloody difficult! You can see he gives the defence absolutely zero confidence. My heart is in my mouth every time the ball goes near him.

sorry but what about the good saves against Orient Tuesday that saved us the draw? What about the great last ditch save away at Sheff Utd that ensured that we won?

ff wont be good enough unless he sorts out his distribution which is shit he aint a bad shot stopper but also cant read situations which aint good

Distribution ain't the problem for me, it's his stature, he needs to control his area, defenders absolutely love it when a goalkeeper comes out for corners and catches the ball, or crosses for that matter.. and Frankie won't ever do that..

Archived