IGNORED

Motd 50 Years

Super

Good programme on BBC1 last night. It was certainly a big part of my childhood on a Saturday night. Good to see the legend Barry Davies back on MOTD tonight, always preffered him to Motty.

Agreed. One of my favourite moments in football commentary history was his commentary for this Mickey Walsh goal of the season from the mid 70s. The combination of his commentary and Walsh's terrific goal always sends shivers down my spine. And im a city fan. That's proper football commentary.

I agree, in part, with what you've said above wolf, but your example is not the best for me.

Phil Neville, much like his brother, talks well about the game and can analyse it well. His problem currently is his delivery and lack of charisma.

For a better example of a former player hired purely because of his 'name' rather than having any ability as a pundit, look no further than Michael Owen.

You are right that none match the class of the likes of Davies et al.

Feel sorry for Barry, a much better commentator than 'Motty' but for some reason the Beeb went with 'Motty' as their Number 1. Not sure if it's a good idea to bring him back for today and it's about time they pensioned off 'Motty' his recent commentaries being embarrasing.

Feel sorry for Barry, a much better commentator than 'Motty' but for some reason the Beeb went with 'Motty' as their Number 1. Not sure if it's a good idea to bring him back for today and it's about time they pensioned off 'Motty' his recent commentaries being embarrasing.

Spot on Eco; although I think Motson has always been embarrassing.

Agree mate. Never liked 'Motty' to be honest. Barry is so much better and I don't understand the loving for 'Motty'

Barry Davies was very good at other sports as well. Always remember the Olympic hockey final commentary " where were the Germans but frankly who cares" is always remembered. Also a very good listen at Wimbledon as well. Will be good to hear him for a one off tonight on MOTD.

Those contributors to OTIB who are as old as Aizoon - and EVEN OLDER ( :shocking:) can well remember this forum before the days of the internet, and Match of the Day before the days of television.

Aizoon, who will no-doubt confirm this - can even remember the army coming to dig up his cabbages for them to be turned into Spitfires.

They were tough times, but they were still happy.

TFR 

Those contributors to OTIB who are as old as Aizoon - and EVEN OLDER ( :shocking:) can well remember this forum before the days of the internet, and Match of the Day before the days of television.

Aizoon, who will no-doubt confirm this - can even remember the army coming to dig up his cabbages for them to be turned into Spitfires.

They were tough times, but they were still happy.

TFR

I hear the navy came to wrestle Horace away and use him as a decoy water mine.

39 -45 aizoon had lovely soil to grow his cabbages as the worms could rest in peace. It was them pesky Nazi ship captains that had the misery

Everything TRL has said is mainly true.

Horace was indeed used extensively as a water mine on Chew Valley lake in the Napoleonic Wars, being refitted several times.

He was finally considered obsolete after WW1, after it was considered his ring-worm was beyond economic repair.

Just like Puff the Magic Dragon, children, hedgehogs are not immortal, and after his passing, Horace was stuffed and mounted - just like in life - and placed on display at the Imperial War Museum Reserve Collection, until we went missing about the time Aizoon signed up to OTIB.

Happily, Horace has been faithfully restored to near working condition by this kindly old man, and is now a regular - and popular - contributor to OTIB on match days, nestled, typically, deep into his masters crotch.

- THE END -

TFR

First ever show on the red button now. For those watching in black and white Liverpool are playing in red.

The commentator is literally saying what he sees.

Also, the Kop is roundly applauding the Arsenal goals.

No civil movements or Beatles on show though, so that's a let down.

Everything TRL has said is mainly true.

Horace was indeed used extensively as a water mine on Chew Valley lake in the Napoleonic Wars, being refitted several times.

He was finally considered obsolete after WW1, after it was considered his ring-worm was beyond economic repair.

Just like Puff the Magic Dragon, children, hedgehogs are not immortal, and after his passing, Horace was stuffed and mounted - just like in life - and placed on display at the Imperial War Museum Reserve Collection, until we went missing about the time Aizoon signed up to OTIB.

Happily, Horace has been faithfully restored to near working condition by this kindly old man, and is now a regular - and popular - contributor to OTIB on match days, nestled, typically, deep into his masters crotch.

- THE END -

TFR

Would you let a hedgehog nestle in your crotch? :o

Apart from that, it's mostly accurate ;)

Tom Ritchie hat trick on MOTD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k529LiWS0Ps

I love that second goal. Typical Tom Ritchie with knees and elbows going in all directions. An opponent once said that tackling Ritchie is like trying to tackle a combine harvester ;)

Archived