IGNORED

I'm Not Listening To The Forum 'sages' Anymore

RedM

I didn't know much about Cotterill when he was appointed but many 'wise'posters were shouting very loudly against him. I knew even less about Wilbraham, and again was swayed by those who I thought knew better shouting how bad the signing was.

I guess I should have known better and learnt to 'wait and see' , I certainly have now. I think it's no longer the case of having the best players, sometimes it's just doesn't work, eg Torres. But when you get a group that gels together suddenly they are world beaters, they don't have to be the most skilful, it just works.

Credit to the people, Cotterill and his team for finding the right mix. Credit to the board for having the courage to back him after going down so many dead ends.

We could lose the next couple of games, but I won't be panicking. We have wins in the team and a squad who can score goals throughout the team. Yes it was great last year having Baldock and Jet but we are a better TEAM without them.

Ali Durden tweeted last night that we have 20 points after 8 games. It took us until Dec29th ( 23 games) to reach the same ammount. That's staggering by our standards and a heck of a head start.

Yup, I'm enjoying it and why not. There has been too many lean times in the past.

A few years ago when we signed Adebola I did the same and expected nothing, he turned out far better than anyone expected though. Taught me a lesson that no matter how bad you assume things will be to give the benefit of doubt. Wasn't at all hopeful about the prospect of SC's appointment, I would still say with good reason, but there's no point not giving the bloke a chance, and he's taken it fantastically well.

I wanted O'Dismal out, but was massively underwhelmed when we appointed Cotterill, not very happy at all.

Then I got speaking to a friend of mine, who used to play proffesional football at a decent standard.  I said I wasnt happy with ithe appointment to what he replied "trust me now, you will not get a better manager then Cotterill.  He is thought of very highly in the game and people want to work with him. Believe me, if he cannot turn it round down there, no one can"

He couldnt speak highly enough of the bloke

And yet.....

It is the vocal Whingers and Sages that helped push out O'Driscoll earlier than if we had all sat around "waiting to see".

It is the screaming as GJ tries to play 8 central midfielders out of position that made the Board realise what a shambles it had become.

It is that "wait and see" attitude that has got the gas relegated and meant there are still no Sack the Board demos.  They could drift down into the Cherry Red Records Hellenic League with nary a murmur.

Passive, sheep-like, wait-and-see fans get the club they deserve.

Sadly, some of the biggest moaners don't post when we are doing well. They must be champing at the bit, waiting for a few defeats so that they can come back and post their usual drivel.

Posts like this really annoy me.  It implies there are some City fans out there, who "want us to fail so they can be proven right"

Ridiculous

I didn't know much about Cotterill when he was appointed but many 'wise'posters were shouting very loudly against him. I knew even less about Wilbraham, and again was swayed by those who I thought knew better shouting how bad the signing was.

I guess I should have known better and learnt to 'wait and see' , I certainly have now. I think it's no longer the case of having the best players, sometimes it's just doesn't work, eg Torres. But when you get a group that gels together suddenly they are world beaters, they don't have to be the most skilful, it just works.

Credit to the people, Cotterill and his team for finding the right mix. Credit to the board for having the courage to back him after going down so many dead ends.

We could lose the next couple of games, but I won't be panicking. We have wins in the team and a squad who can score goals throughout the team. Yes it was great last year having Baldock and Jet but we are a better TEAM without them.

Ali Durden tweeted last night that we have 20 points after 8 games. It took us until Dec29th ( 23 games) to reach the same ammount. That's staggering by our standards and a heck of a head start.

Yup, I'm enjoying it and why not. There has been too many lean times in the past.

I was underwhelmed by the appointment of Steve Cotterill. His skill set did not fit the long term strategy outlined by BCFC.

Before the season started I expected City to get off to a flier and thought anything but automatic promotion would be failure. I have seen nothing to change that view.

This team is better that the opposition. It is better all over the park. It is more expensive and also contains experience. There is an element of Man City of the West to it. I am not sure of any players has fifty appearances for BCFC. It is a mercenary XI.

Under the five pillars the above could not exist. Many fans could not have foreseen the u turn BCFC did when Steve Lansdown [and it is Steve L] ordered change again.

Not so long ago thoughts were of Southampton style development. Focus on roots up ... That has gone. I sort of feared a XI for the first time in my life and forty years of watching City of no local lads being regulars. As a local kids coach that would have been saddening. Well done Joe Bryan for keeping bigger wages out of the XI recently.

What we are seeing now is based on cash. Mr Lansdowns largesse and Steve Cotterill's so far astute ability to spend it.

I was underwhelmed by the appointment of Steve Cotterill. His skill set did not fit the long term strategy outlined by BCFC.

Before the season started I expected City to get off to a flier and thought anything but automatic promotion would be failure. I have seen nothing to change that view.

This team is better that the opposition. It is better all over the park. It is more expensive and also contains experience. There is an element of Man City of the West to it. I am not sure of any players has fifty appearances for BCFC. It is a mercenary XI.

Under the five pillars the above could not exist. Many fans could not have foreseen the u turn BCFC did when Steve Lansdown [and it is Steve L] ordered change again.

Not so long ago thoughts were of Southampton style development. Focus on roots up ... That has gone. I sort of feared a XI for the first time in my life and forty years of watching City of no local lads being regulars. As a local kids coach that would have been saddening. Well done Joe Bryan for keeping bigger wages out of the XI recently.

What we are seeing now is based on cash. Mr Lansdowns largesse and Steve Cotterill's so far astute ability to spend it.

Freeman, Bryan, Williams, smith, Agard, Fielding, Ayling, all fit in with the 5 pillers so I'm calling bullshit to that remark,

Its simply down to the fact that we have a manager who is a million times better then the last one we had

I understand what your saying but the club messed up big time and needed to replace alot of the old guard that got us relegated.  Basically the squad needed serious investment to sort it, I don't think the club had much choice because of how much of a pigs ear they made of things.

Had we been a stable club on and off the field, the five pillars could have been successful but it was a brave plan implemented at the wrong time.  Its going to be a few years before we see the benefits of the changes to the academy. Anyway, don't we have the 3rd youngest squad in the league or somewhere near that?

The academy and youth development was one aspect of the club's strategy, not THE strategy. 

I think what we are seeing now is certainly something that we have been missing since the days of Gary Johnson. Sure we have signed some good players but the work-rate and camaraderie in the team is better than it has been for a very long time and we look very strong as a unit. It doesn't matter what level you are playing at when you are all singing from the same hymn sheet and working towards a common goal everything becomes easier.

The academy and youth development was one aspect of the club's strategy, not THE strategy.

Allied to job roles that have now changed, and signing guidelines that have changed. Before the Head coach worked within the structure as defined by the FC, now the manager does the opposite even deciding how the U21's will be selected above the coaches running those teams. The changes go far beyond results.

Not a lot to moan about at the moment of course, but we still have to remember it's only 8 games in.. I remember Orient won their first 15 games last season and didn't go up.. Still early days

Their season started to come undone when a certain West Country side went to Brisbane Rd and walloped them...

Freeman, Bryan, Williams, smith, Agard, Fielding, Ayling, all fit in with the 5 pillers so I'm calling bullshit to that remark,

Its simply down to the fact that we have a manager who is a million times better then the last one we had

Says the bloke who really thought spending constraints imposed on McInnes to O'driscoll were the same.

I used the word "astute" to describe Mr Cotterills ability to spend money. The job and the manner the FC has been altered. Mr Cotterill now has a freedom to be "astute" that he would not have if the five pillars were still in place. Mr Cotterill more or less said he didn't run things that way when he became Manager.

Allied to job roles that have now changed, and signing guidelines that have changed. Before the Head coach worked within the structure as defined by the FC, now the manager does the opposite even deciding how the U21's will be selected above the coaches running those teams. The changes go far beyond results.

Could you expand a little? The only signing guidelines that I've noticed as changing is the decision to primarily play our U18s in the 21s team rather than bring in hordes of players to fill that team. I've also seen reports that the U21's are playing the wing-back system like the first team, this seems to show a continuity and clear pathway between the first team and U21s. 

Posts like this really annoy me. It implies there are some City fans out there, who "want us to fail so they can be proven right"

Ridiculous

Are you saying there can't be city fans like that??? I'm sure you realise by reading the forum that there is..... or put it another way they are on here 24/7 when things are bad but don't have the bottle too come on here and say.... hands up got it wrong....

Anyone who reads this forum regularly could write a list of these exact posters!!

Archived