IGNORED

Scottish Links At City

Sargent Pepper

Apart from Long Ashton boy Joe Bryans one Scotland U21 call up a couple of years back, there has been a shocking lack of Jocks in our side recently. Ok, so we haven't had many good ones since Hartley but before that we have had our fair share of successful Scotsmen in our ranks, especially in the old 1st division team of the 70's.

I wonder if anyone else is able to name a City squad without any Jocks in it and as an aside who have been your favourite players from north of the border to grace Ashton Gate?

Apart from Long Ashton boy Joe Bryans one Scotland U21 call up a couple of years back, there has been a shocking lack of Jocks in our side recently. Ok, so we haven't had many good ones since Hartley but before that we have had our fair share of successful Scotsmen in our ranks, especially in the old 1st division team of the 70's.

I wonder if anyone else is able to name a City squad without any Jocks in it and as an aside who have been your favourite players from north of the border to grace Ashton Gate?

Since 2008 we've had Jamie McAllister, Michael McIndoe, Scott Murray, Paul Hartley, David Clarkson, Stephen Pearson, Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Liam Kelly, plus a Scottish manager.

Tom Ritchie and Gerry Gow surely the best Scots we have ever had, with an honorable mention to Gerry Sweeney,

Since 2008 we've had Jamie McAllister, Michael McIndoe, Scott Murray, Paul Hartley, David Clarkson, Stephen Pearson, Richard Foster, Mark Wilson, Liam Kelly, plus a Scottish manager.

Tom Ritchie and Gerry Gow surely the best Scots we have ever had, with an honorable mention to Gerry Sweeney,

Wouldn't call that a shocking lack of jocks

I watched the Promotion team grow with a solid base of Scots , the tamoshanter (?) lot .

Gow , Ritchie , Sweeney and on with Gillies,  and we still haven't replaced Gerry Gow...... yet !

" He's here he's there he's every *******g where Korey Smith"  ......  anyone ?

Liam Kelly is English, just played for a Scottish team before us.

Liam Kelly is English, just played for a Scottish team before us.

Has played for Scotland though, similar situation with Louis Carey and Joe Bryan.

Ian Baird, mentioned above, is also English, and as far as I know, never played fro the Scottish national team at any level.

Has played for Scotland though, similar situation with Louis Carey and Joe Bryan.

Ian Baird, mentioned above, is also English, and as far as I know, never played fro the Scottish national team at any level.

Same for Gerard Lavin; Watford boy who never played in Scotland to my knowledge, but turned out for their youth teams!

Always love the story of George Boyd, who apparently only first set foot in Scotland when he went up there to play for their B team.

I watched the Promotion team grow with a solid base of Scots , the tamoshanter (?) lot .

Gow , Ritchie , Sweeney and on with Gillies,  and we still haven't replaced Gerry Gow...... yet !

" He's here he's there he's every *******g where Korey Smith"  ......  anyone ?

I am old enough to remember the great Gerry Gow and I would say that Korey Smith is the nearest we have ever had since then to Gerry's style of play. Fearless in the tackle, great ball skills and (most importantly) great vision for the killer pass when on the ball (e.g the pass for Cunningham to whack home v Donny).

In short, a proper midfield general.

And Donnie Gillies.

Archived