IGNORED

Going Long?

SecretSam

I admit it - I'm not a regular attender at our games, so I thought I'd ask on here...

SC has a 'reputation' for being direct in his teams' style.  Just watched the highlights from Tuesday, great away win but...are we really becoming a team who win by scoring from set pieces and a keeper's hoof downfield (great bit of defending mind...not (but a good finish))?  Is that typical or just a pragmatic way to win away?

I've been impressed this season by the way we are playing.

Love him or loath him... SoD tried to get us playing 'Possession' football and to make the players feel comfortable on the ball.

We have continued in that vein under SC...not so obvious, but our formation dictates the way we play.

It has been a breath of fresh air not playing with 'traditional' wingers, as this often leads to 'counter attacking football' and a quick turnover of possession.

Playing with wing backs allows us to go forward in numbers and defend in numbers and have room to keep possession and build up play. We've been doing that.

What we are seeing is a team playing with confidence and playing for one another.

The players SC has been able to bring in have also had quality, experience and an understanding.

If we can play football, keep possession and do it with physical presence and speed, then we have a formula for success.

This current formation and selection of players is the most balanced side I've seen for ages in a City shirt.

Everyone seems to know what they are doing.

We've been so dangerous from set pieces this season. Makes such a change from where we didn't go something like 3 years without scoring from a corner.

I spoke to a mate of mine that said he went to the game, he said we passed it crisply, sharp with constant movement and it was too much for Vale to handle. So no I don't think we're going long at all

"SoD tried to get us playing 'Possession' football and to make the players feel comfortable on the ball."

Well that was the myth he tried to portray. The reality was that we played it along the back line endlessly and, when closed down, hoofed it aimlessly.

We now play probing possession football, hitting it long when an opportunity arises (or when closed down and no other options are available).

The beauty of our current situation is that we having quite 'clicked' yet and there's more to come! COYR!

It's odd really, SOD (famed for possession football) wanted the players to make the decisions- play it long when the best option and pass it around when that was the best option. For all their efforts the players kept making the wrong decisions.

In steps Cotts (everyone panics that we are doomed to play hoof ball- myself included) and the players start making the right decisions!

I really like the options we have and are capable of scoring flowing moves, from crosses/set plays or simply from launching it down field. The opposition just don't know what to expect at the moment and long may it continue!

I admit it - I'm not a regular attender at our games, so I thought I'd ask on here...

SC has a 'reputation' for being direct in his teams' style.  Just watched the highlights from Tuesday, great away win but...are we really becoming a team who win by scoring from set pieces and a keeper's hoof downfield (great bit of defending mind...not (but a good finish))?  Is that typical or just a pragmatic way to win away?

As others have said already, we mix it up. If you look at goals in isolation and picked the second v S****horpe, the goal at Rochdale, the equaliser against Colchester, you could be forgiven for thinking we play like Arsenal!!

At the risk of jinxing it, we look a well drilled unit at the moment who are comfortable with passing the ball or going longer when required. I agree with spudski, we do have a balance about us I've not seen in a long time.

It's odd really, SOD (famed for possession football) wanted the players to make the decisions- play it long when the best option and pass it around when that was the best option. For all their efforts the players kept making the wrong decisions.

In steps Cotts (everyone panics that we are doomed to play hoof ball- myself included) and the players start making the right decisions!

I really like the options we have and are capable of scoring flowing moves, from crosses/set plays or simply from launching it down field. The opposition just don't know what to expect at the moment and long may it continue!

You are correct...it's all part of the 'transition'....You only had to look at the stats on match day to see how much possession we had under SoD.

What many fans failed to realise, is that yes we did 'knock it around' at the back looking for a pass or opening...but often eventually got put under pressure and 'hoofed it down the channel. The reason for this was Baldock was playing off the shoulder of the last defender looking for a ball over the top or down the Channel. JET gave very little movement until it went into the oppositions half and the rest of the midfield were often stagnant in their movement...giving very little for the defenders to pass too.

We now have a midfield and holding forward that are both creative, active in movement off the ball, comfortable in possession and confident. We have evolved from the SoD era under SC...both have given a new lease of life and playing...we are just a lot more effective under SC with the players we have.

Playing the 'long ball' is not hoof ball either...as long as it's aimed as a pass to a player, and not aimless. It is effective under the right conditions, and if play dictates that is the right decision to make.

You are correct...it's all part of the 'transition'....You only had to look at the stats on match day to see how much possession we had under SoD.

What many fans failed to realise, is that yes we did 'knock it around' at the back looking for a pass or opening...but often eventually got put under pressure and 'hoofed it down the channel. The reason for this was Baldock was playing off the shoulder of the last defender looking for a ball over the top or down the Channel. JET gave very little movement until it went into the oppositions half and the rest of the midfield were often stagnant in their movement...giving very little for the defenders to pass too.

We now have a midfield and holding forward that are both creative, active in movement off the ball, comfortable in possession and confident. We have evolved from the SoD era under SC...both have given a new lease of life and playing...we are just a lot more effective under SC with the players we have.

Playing the 'long ball' is not hoof ball either...as long as it's aimed as a pass to a player, and not aimless. It is effective under the right conditions, and if play dictates that is the right decision to make.

yep great stats

Possession 70%

shots 0

SC has a 'reputation' for being direct in his teams' style.; Just watched the highlights from Tuesday, great away win but...are we really becoming a team who win by scoring from set pieces and a keeper's hoof downfield (great bit of defending mind...not (but a good finish))? Is that typical or just a pragmatic way to win away?

City are generally playing through the thirds. The two games were they didn't were draws, although Rochdale would in another day have been a defeat.

The players City possess, and the opposition do not should see City passing the opposition off the pitch. City have accomplished players [ for this level] in virtually every position.

Pemberton quoted in the BEP:

Fleetwood have changed formation a few times. They've played similar to how we play, they've played with a back four and they've played with a midfield diamond.

"We have looked at all the possible scenarios we could come up against and worked on how to combat those without changing our shape

I like that - we're not changing to suit the other team, but adapting.

thats what I love about SC over SoD, SoD was worried about the opp and set up to counter them (this didn't work no need to debate)

SC sets us up as he sees fit and says the opp should worry about us, its just the confidiance installed into the team and us fans by SC and his team (coaches etc) thats changing things for the better at AG

Judging by the only full game I've seen, Sheffield Utd, the players are keen to get the ball forward very quickly but play a good possession game when they get it up there.

This is similar to Southampton, who despite having a reputation as a passing side were actually amongst the highest users of long passes in the Premiership last season. So long as the long passes don't lose possession too often and the attacking players are creative this is a good way to play. It's more exciting than the endless possession of Swansea but allows for extended periods of possession to prevent players becoming too tired.

As Spudski correctly points out, there's no problem with long passing so long as it is accurate. Nobody notices 'hoof ball' except when the result is to cede possession frequently.

We seem to have options, options and more options!

As other have said we mix it up a lot. We attack as a team and defend as a team. The time as gone when a player would have the ball and look up to see nobody moving for him, now he almost has too many choices. Many players are running off the ball, drawing the opposition away, doing a lot of the unnoticed work.

Very much more a team and much less predictable this season, that's why we are successful right now.

thats what I love about SC over SoD, SoD was worried about the opp and set up to counter them (this didn't work no need to debate)

SC sets us up as he sees fit and says the opp should worry about us, its just the confidiance installed into the team and us fans by SC and his team (coaches etc) thats changing things for the better at AG

Slightly unfair I think.

SC has been able to bring in players on loan during the January window and since been very active in the transfer market with money released from previous players wages and some astute freebies.

I don't understand why SoD gets slated so much from fans. Yes it didn't work in getting results...but what he did at our Club has enable SC to fit in seamlessly and continue where SoD left off....which he said he planned to leave for the next manager.

If SC had come in when SoD did, and had the players and funds available to him that SoD had, then I don't think we would be as strong as a Club now.

SC has come at the right time to benefit largely from timing.

Slightly unfair I think.

SC has been able to bring in players on loan during the January window and since been very active in the transfer market with money released from previous players wages and some astute freebies.

I don't understand why SoD gets slated so much from fans. Yes it didn't work in getting results...but what he did at our Club has enable SC to fit in seamlessly and continue where SoD left off....which he said he planned to leave for the next manager.

If SC had come in when SoD did, and had the players and funds available to him that SoD had, then I don't think we would be as strong as a Club now.

spud I'm not getting into it all again buddy,

But a manager is judged on results because thats what 90% of fans see,

I've been supportive and critical of SoD reign he did good things he did bad things simple as that really,

What I'm enjoying is good football good work ethos and what seems to me very good coaching now taking place at Ashton Gate,

some of it was brought in by Millen some by Mcinnes some by SoD and finally implemented correctly by SC,

I can garintee one thing SC will Fail and will get sacked, wether that be 6 months or 6 years it will happen,

But thanks to efforts by Millen McInnes SoD and SC Bristol City is a far better club today then it was 5 years ago,

The board seem to of learnt and should be credited for it but thats for a different thread,

We should just enjoy it while it lasts

Slightly unfair I think.

I think SoD gets slated because he had a god-awful personality, got us relegated, and produced woeful football.  I'm guessing.

Of course, us mere mortals can't see all the excellent work he did behind the scenes so it's a bit harsh to judge him just on interviews, football games ... 

I think SoD gets slated because he had a god-awful personality, got us relegated, and produced woeful football.  I'm guessing.

Of course, us mere mortals can't see all the excellent work he did behind the scenes so it's a bit harsh to judge him just on interviews, football games ... 

You make a very valid point my friend... That is why I always think there should be greater transparency in any football Club, just so fans get a better understanding.

For example...do you know the day to day activities and what experience and benefits are brought to the club by Jon Lansdown?

Or any of the board for that matter.

Managers get slated if things go wrong on the pitch...but never the board.

If a manager does well on the pitch... the board take lots of credit. They are always in a total win win situation, because most is hidden from public consumption.

The manager is there for judgement because he is only judged on results on the pitch...something I find bemusing...as it wouldn't happen in any other line of business.

You make a very valid point my friend... That is why I always think there should be greater transparency in any football Club, just so fans get a better understanding.

For example...do you know the day to day activities and what experience and benefits are brought to the club by Jon Lansdown?

Or any of the board for that matter.

Managers get slated if things go wrong on the pitch...but never the board.

If a manager does well on the pitch... the board take lots of credit. They are always in a total win win situation, because most is hidden from public consumption.

The manager is there for judgement because he is only judged on results on the pitch...something I find bemusing...as it wouldn't happen in any other line of business.

the board are there to run the business side of things (and in the majority of cases finance a club) and should have no baring on the football side of things,

the only thing they should get credit for is good manager appointment and improving facilites (and possibly transfer budgets)

when things are going right on the pitch the manager should take plaudits when it goes wrong again the manager should get the flack (as well as players)

I haven't heard our board take credit for the way city are performing this season, I've heard lots of sound bites from SC praising them but I haven't heard the board themselfs patting themselves of the back,

as for JL he's here to simply oversee his fathers investment because SL doesn't live here anymore, he was always going to be appointed to the board he isn't perfect but to his credit he is learning well,

the board are there to run the business side of things (and in the majority of cases finance a club) and should have no baring on the football side of things,

the only thing they should get credit for is good manager appointment and improving facilites (and possibly transfer budgets)

when things are going right on the pitch the manager should take plaudits when it goes wrong again the manager should get the flack (as well as players)

I haven't heard our board take credit for the way city are performing this season, I've heard lots of sound bites from SC praising them but I haven't heard the board themselfs patting themselves of the back,

as for JL he's here to simply oversee his fathers investment because SL doesn't live here anymore, he was always going to be appointed to the board he isn't perfect but to his credit he is learning well,

Of course they have a bearing on what goes on the pitch.

They sit down with the agents and accountants and agree the contracts for the players.

What they agree has a great bearing on who is at the club, for how long and what further money is available to the manager.

That has a great bearing on what a manager is allowed to do.

For example... SC has had more money available to him than SoD did, because of the release of former player contracts and wages. He has been fortunate that those contract have come to an end during the beginning of his tenure. By being allowed to get of the 'dead wood' so to speak.

SL has spoken openly of his embarrassment at throwing money at the Club on players and wages and long contracts. He's learnt from his mistakes we hope. So the board and owners actions have a massive influence on what can be achieved on the pitch.

As for what JL is doing here... your understanding is why I ask for greater transparency...if you believe what you do, then with respect , then that's up to you fella.

Of course they have a bearing on what goes on the pitch.

They sit down with the agents and accountants and agree the contracts for the players.

What they agree has a great bearing on who is at the club, for how long and what further money is available to the manager.

That has a great bearing on what a manager is allowed to do.

For example... SC has had more money available to him than SoD did, because of the release of former player contracts and wages. He has been fortunate that those contract have come to an end during the beginning of his tenure. By being allowed to get of the 'dead wood' so to speak.

SL has spoken openly of his embarrassment at throwing money at the Club on players and wages and long contracts. He's learnt from his mistakes we hope. So the board and owners actions have a massive influence on what can be achieved on the pitch.

As for what JL is doing here... your understanding is why I ask for greater transparency...if you believe what you do, then with respect , then that's up to you fella.

i don't buy that for a second SC just used his money availabe more wisly then the last manager did,

Archived