IGNORED

The Depressing Dominance Of The Premier League.

ChippenhamRed

Took my 3 year old to football training today for the very first time. There were about 25 kids there and he was the only one wearing a local team's kit; every other child was wearing Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool. Admittedly we live in Chippenham so I didn't expect many City shirts, but I at least thought there might be a few Swindon tops. Not one.

It really depressed me! It worries me that he'll inevitably be asking for a premier league kit when he's old enough to care.

Really hope when the stadium redevelopment is complete there is a big push by the club to promote itself to the younger generations.

Recently started a new job the other day and was asked by an Arsenal fan "which team I supported" to which I replied obviously "bristol city" but was then asked "yeah but which premier league team"

The bloke looked in shock that I didn't support a prem team, bloody armchair fans do my head in!!!

Recently started a new job the other day and was asked by an Arsenal fan "which team I supported" to which I replied obviously "bristol city" but was then asked "yeah but which premier league team"

The bloke looked in shock that I didn't support a prem team, bloody armchair fans do my head in!!!

exact same thing happened to me last night!

At one company I worked for, the Sales Manager announced "I need to buy a Manchester United shirt".

"I didn't know you're from Manchester" was my reply, to which she stated.........."I'm not; I'm not even interested in football, but I am involved in Corporate Sales. Therefore it's essential I am seen to associate with winners".

At one company I worked for, the Sales Manager announced "I need to buy a Manchester United shirt".

"I didn't know you're from Manchester" was my reply, to which she stated.........."I'm not; I'm not even interested in football, but I am involved in Corporate Sales. Therefore it's essential I am seen to associate with winners".

Most sales and marketing people make my skin crawl.

I'm not going to lie, I enjoy the Premier League and I'm quite fond of Chelsea when Mourihno is in charge as they're always interesting as is he, but if someone asked me if I was a Chelsea fan there is no way I'd say yes. I think I just appreciate football but I completely agree with the local team should be your team you support, or at least the local team you grow up supporting, I live in Cardiff now, no way I'm supporting them haha

I don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying top-class football. It's a global game these days - and let's face it, given the choice between Man United and Swindon, I know who I'd follow!

And there's the problem in a nutshell.

No problem with enjoying top class football but it's perfectly possible to do that and follow a local team as well.

I think most kids follow a top footballing side, you just have to hope the religious brainwashing technique turns your kid into a City supporter eventually.

My son has a Barcelona kit and says he supports Man U as well, he knows I support Bristol City and I have got him a season ticket. One day the brainwashing will work and he will be converted fully, a lifetime of misery awaits him.

Does this make me Dad of the year?

I don't think there's anything wrong with people enjoying top-class football. It's a global game these days - and let's face it, given the choice between Man United and Swindon, I know who I'd follow!

This attiude right here is what is wrong with the Bristolian public, but there you go each tp there own.

To be fair, when I was younger my dad used to take me and I used to have the kits and wear them to training but I used to "support" a prem team as well to copy some of my mates. I had the shirts went to a couple of games as well but it was a phase and I grew out of it.

If your lad does start asking for a prem shirt, don't worry too much but get him down the gate a few times and I'm sure he'll chose the right path.

I think most kids follow a top footballing side, you just have to hope the religious brainwashing technique turns your kid into a City supporter eventually.

My son has a Barcelona kit and says he supports Man U as well, he knows I support Bristol City and I have got him a season ticket. One day the brainwashing will work and he will be converted fully, a lifetime of misery awaits him.

Does this make me Dad of the year?

I converted a nephew like that and he evangelised to his mates and we've got 3 more little City fans out there.

For me, being anything other than City was never an option, but I remember many playground "Leeds fans" in 1970s Backwell.

Twas ever thus round these parts..

Bristol is a great city. We should be competing with the likes of Manchester and Liverpool, not supporting their clubs! :blink:  

This attiude right here is what is wrong with the Bristolian public, but there you go each tp there own.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Bristol public. Clubs have to earn fans' support - in the same way that any business has to work hard to get the punters in. When we were serving up dross under McInnes and SOD, it turned a lot of fans away, and when it was costing 25 quid a game minimum, who could blame them? Now that City are sorting themselves out on and off the field, the fans are coming back. It's not glory hunting, it's just that people are more likely to spend their money on a good product. That's business. As for supporting Man Utd or Liverpool or Barcelona... obviously I would rather Bristolian people all supported City, but TV has made it just as easy to watch those teams on a weekly basis. That's modern life.

Was totaly converted after one game watching city.  We were in the 2nd season of the 4th division days. 82/83 i think. Not even a masive crowd.  But lots of people who spoke like me in one place.  It felt like the right place minutes after walking into Aston Gate.  They gave me the choice of the other lot in Eastville, even got taken to a game there which was in the milk cup against Arsenal.  But no, it had to be the reds.  When i cut my hand, it red stuff that pumps out.

Took my 3 year old to football training today for the very first time. There were about 25 kids there and he was the only one wearing a local team's kit; every other child was wearing Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool. Admittedly we live in Chippenham so I didn't expect many City shirts, but I at least thought there might be a few Swindon tops. Not one.

It really depressed me! It worries me that he'll inevitably be asking for a premier league kit when he's old enough to care.

Really hope when the stadium redevelopment is complete there is a big push by the club to promote itself to the younger generations.

I live in Trowbridge, have to say the less Swindle tops the better. Most say they support Man United and like either City or Swindle as a local team.

Have to say though that the last few months I have seen loads of City tops around the county, more than the other local sides, less than the glory hunting sides.

I support Spurs, as I lived in N18 for a bit, and also Arsenal, because I like the way they are run, and I suppose the fantastic football they have played over the years, any team that can go a whole season undefeated deserves credit.

But always City come what may will be the team I really care for.

Blimey! I bet your fellow Spurs fans appreciate your feelings for Arsenal...

I think there are many variations of support.

We as fans all 'support' teams in the Premier League by subscribing to the like of Sky....that's where your money goes.

I support Bristol City...as it's the only team I pay regular money to watch. I always think 'Fan' is a funny word...as who is a Fanatic?

I like to 'follow' certain teams and the way they play...certain managers...and even have fond feelings towards teams, for no other reason than I liked what I experienced whilst watching them.

You know when you have a Team in your soul and heart...because it hurts and affects how you feel after a result.

I doubt whether the 'shirts' that follow teams on the tv have that feeling.

Archived