IGNORED

Qatar World Cup

Barrs Court Red

This whole thing is a farce.

1. FIFA's moderator won't let ANYONE read the report on the award process
  2. The Qatari government have locked up journos trying to investigate the treatment of 'workers' building the stadia
  3. The Qatari's originally included in their proposal a promise that ALL WC stadia would have air conditioning for fans AND players (it emerged that, this was not so much a lie as a piece of abject fantasy)
  4. There are proven cases of monies being paid to the awards committee for others issues if not this
  5. Qatar has a tiny population that has, until recently shown zero interest in football
  6. At a time when FIFA is supposedly trying to support the development of women's football, the Qatari treatment of women needs, to say the least, improving
  7. In an age where FIFA tries to brand 'Respect' as a Trade Mark and talks of 'inclusion' the Qatari attitude to homosexuality is, at best, medieval
  8. The games would either have to be played in the winter, wreaking havoc on the Northern Hemisphere's football season, or else, the games played in 50+ degree heat

Other than that, cannot think of any reason why they should be stripped of it.

Would love it to be true but can't see it somehow.  The rumour comes from the Fifa executive committee member Theo Zwanziger, who said he didn't think it would be played in Qatar - FIFA have already distanced themselves from his comments.  

This is all about saving face for FIFA, no way they'll take it off them, i reckon the best compromise will be a winter world cup.

Would love it to be true but can't see it somehow.  The rumour comes from the Fifa executive committee member Theo Zwanziger, who said he didn't think it would be played in Qatar - FIFA have already distanced themselves from his comments.  

This is all about saving face for FIFA, no way they'll take it off them, i reckon the best compromise will be a winter world cup.

The FIFA corrupt all stars still want to get paid after all. 

They may as well of awarded it to the Moon, makes about as much sense to play it there as it does in the middle of a desert, winter or summer in a country with an awful human rights record.

Genuine question. Could the games not be played late at night? Would the temperatures not drop sufficiently?

I'm afraid I have no idea if it's true but I was always under the impression that it cooled substantially at night in that region of the world.

No still very hot at night there during the summer months - wont drop much below 30 even in the dead of night.  Anyway it's not just a matter of  the players, what are the fans supposed to do during the day?  Even the Qatari's all bail out of the country during the summer months because of the heat.

The FIFA corrupt all stars still want to get paid after all. 

They may as well of awarded it to the Moon, makes about as much sense to play it there as it does in the middle of a desert, winter or summer in a country with an awful human rights record.

My bold.  There also a state sponsor of terrorism.  ISIS is funded by Qatari's.  The Taliban has an office there and the Taliban prisoners released from Guantanamo also live there.  The place is a cesspool.

No still very hot at night there during the summer months - wont drop much below 30 even in the dead of night.  Anyway it's not just a matter of  the players, what are the fans supposed to do during the day?  Even the Qatari's all bail out of the country during the summer months because of the heat.

Wow, I'm showing my ignorance here but I really didn't realise that this was the case! I just assumed that it got cool at nights and the fans could stay in air conditioning in the day!

Not that it would help with the whole humans rights issues.... 

Wow, I'm showing my ignorance here but I really didn't realise that this was the case! I just assumed that it got cool at nights and the fans could stay in air conditioning in the day!

Not that it would help with the whole humans rights issues....

It is true, those from the middle east who can afford to take long breaks of several months to cooler countries (eg Europe). Many of them come to London and it is partly due to them there has been a boom in central London house prices.

If it still goes ahead, what are the fans going to do between matches? It's too hot to go out, so they will be stuck in dull air conditioned hotels for days and days. No chance of any camp sites or outdoor big screens

This was a farce right from the start. The World Cup should always go to an established football country with appropriate infrastructure, logistics, climate, stadia, etc etc.

It should always be in countries with established leagues, heritage and history.

It's too important to mess up with allegations of corruption etc etc.

There are loads of countries able to do the World Cup proud, why do they look past Germany, Mexico, Italy, Argentina, England, Brazil, Spain etc etc. I wonder???!!!

Any established footy nation would do the tournament proud, giving it to places like Qatar will do nothing to enhance the game and will only lead to more allegations and a potentially awful tournament...

This whole thing is a farce.

1. FIFA's moderator won't let ANYONE read the report on the award process
  2. The Qatari government have locked up journos trying to investigate the treatment of 'workers' building the stadia
  3. The Qatari's originally included in their proposal a promise that ALL WC stadia would have air conditioning for fans AND players (it emerged that, this was not so much a lie as a piece of abject fantasy)
  4. There are proven cases of monies being paid to the awards committee for others issues if not this
  5. Qatar has a tiny population that has, until recently shown zero interest in football
  6. At a time when FIFA is supposedly trying to support the development of women's football, the Qatari treatment of women needs, to say the least, improving
  7. In an age where FIFA tries to brand 'Respect' as a Trade Mark and talks of 'inclusion' the Qatari attitude to homosexuality is, at best, medieval
  8. The games would either have to be played in the winter, wreaking havoc on the Northern Hemisphere's football season, or else, the games played in 50+ degree heat

Other than that, cannot think of any reason why they should be stripped of it.

How about funding Islamic State ?

How the hell could they even think about giving it to the USA again if they did strip Qatar?

They came 2nd to Qatar in the bidding process (not that that bidding process was anything to go by of course).  After that you've got South Korea and Japan again (on their own this time) and Australia which bizarrely got even less votes than England's bid!

They came 2nd to Qatar in the bidding process (not that that bidding process was anything to go by of course).  After that you've got South Korea and Japan again (on their own this time) and Australia which bizarrely got even less votes than England's bid!

Sadly we ran out of prawns at the world famous canIbribeyou world cup committee barbecue.

Archived