IGNORED

Premier Seating - Davel?

Leveller

I've just said all this in the Saturday Ticket thread but it rarely seems to get a mention, so I thought it was worthy of a new thread.

First of all, I'll admit I gave up my Dolman ST after many years when we were relegated, partly out of despair, partly because my son & companion had gone off to Uni up North. So to an extent I will lose sympathy if I say I can't easily book good seats, especially with the redevelopment.

However, it does really bug me to see so many empty seats in the Premier seating area of the Williams. These have some of the best views in the ground, and are where I used to stand before "all seating" came to pass.

Their being empty gives the impression that we don't have enough fans to fill the area, when of course that is not true. At the time I write this (early hours of Wednesday), there is not a single seat available in the centre block of the Dolman for Saturday's MK Dons match. There are only singles left in most of the Dolman blocks, and most of those are in the "Gods".  The Premier seats are not for sale online as they are permanently "sold out".  But you and I know there will be plenty vacant on Saturday.

I'd really like it confirmed (ideally officially) what is going on here? I'm guessing that as we have no Executive boxes, they are sold as STs to Corporates and the like, who then rarely use them. Fair enough, in a sense, if they're paid for. But it's a shame that the unused seats can't be made available Why not have a system where the owners advise the club they will not be used (say 48 hours before kick off) so they can be resold?

There are similarities with the Wembley situation where there is a ring of best seats that are often empty, and I find it embarrassing that our club seems to have a parallel problem.

Any thoughts? 

It's not just corporate companies that sit in them though - I know 3-4 are City fans who can afford them but are not able to get to every game due to comitments elsewhere. Not sure the club can force them to attend every game can they?

Like it or not, clubs need corporate customers to be successful. Even Forest Green have a couple of corporate boxes. It's unfortunate that this means some seats are empty, but how many people could afford them if they were available? This is just one of the short term problems that fans have to put up with to enable the ground to be rebuilt

I believe most of the premier seats are taken by companies - it is a shame that if the bosses aren't using them that the companies don't give them to their staff as a perk. The company I work for has a number of corporate hospitality boxes etc, once a month an email goes around to every staff member in the company asking if they want tickets for whatever events are on at that time. As the company has paid for the tickets anyway, there is no extra cost for them, however it is a good way of improving staff morale.

Alternatively the companies could give the tickets to charity for their use.

A final option would be ticket resales. At many clubs this is in place, at some a small amount of money is passed back when returning the ticket (a fiver or tenner) and then the ticket is sold on meaning the ground is fuller and the club makes additional money. A slight variation on this theme is what Watford do - season ticket holders inform the club if they aren't going to use the ticket and then the seat is sold on, with the profit going to charity. In this way I believe Watword often have over 100+ tickets sold and returned, meaning more bums on seats and a nice bonus for charity.

The club must keep some aside, my boss is a friend of an ex City player, neither attend regularly but all it takes is a phone call and they have 4 tickets for Premier Seating, they'll be there on Saturday for their first match this season. Now it may be that the "club seats" are never empty so I suppose not an issue.

The club must keep some aside, my boss is a friend of an ex City player, neither attend regularly but all it takes is a phone call and they have 4 tickets for Premier Seating, they'll be there on Saturday for their first match this season. Now it may be that the "club seats" are never empty so I suppose not an issue.

I think that comes out of the "Guests of the Chairman" part,

I like the idea, but wouldn't that be a bit inconvenient? Also, there will still be the same amount of vacant seats.

Yes, still the same amount of vacant seats, but maybe in less noticeable parts of the ground. Inconvenient, that's why I said at half time rather than people moving around 20 mins into the match and disrupting people.

What about a database of people who would like to sit there if possible, say they paid a donation to charity perhaps. All it would take is a quick text to tell them they could move at half time, or for the whole game if the seat owner indicates they will not attend.

Yup, my ideas aren't perfect but I'm sure they could be fine tuned if the club wanted to

Yes, still the same amount of vacant seats, but maybe in less noticeable parts of the ground. Inconvenient, that's why I said at half time rather than people moving around 20 mins into the match and disrupting people.

What about a database of people who would like to sit there if possible, say they paid a donation to charity perhaps. All it would take is a quick text to tell them they could move at half time, or for the whole game if the seat owner indicates they will not attend.

Yup, my ideas aren't perfect but I'm sure they could be fine tuned if the club wanted to

Yeah, unfortunately that's the thing. I can't see them going to great lengths on this issue, considering they mess up on ticketing so very easily, it could turn out to be a logistical nightmare for them! But it would be nice to see those comfy seats being used. 

The Premier seating is almost fully sold out to Season ticket holders this year, due to the limited spaces.

I normally sit their...but was unable to buy a ticket this week. So I'm just behind near the Directors box.

And no it's not all prawn sandwich brigade.

Lots of Oap's that have been City fans for years, plus families. 'Normal fans'.

My brother in-law used to work at a local company who had 4 seats there and whenever they hadn't given them away to clients - the staff, who had their names on a list, could have them. We'd usually go to maybe 3 a season on average. It was quite good having a non-busy bar and some food before kick-off. Seems a waste but those seats are paid for so I can't see much being done about it.

Chap next to me in Block C of the Dolman has a family ticket of some sort, two adults and two kids, he is always there but the other 3 seats have only been occupied once this season. Seems a shame but hey, he's taken up a legitimate offer from the club, I just think that he should tell the club they will be unoccupied and they can be sold, two seats together in Block C will be like gold dust as the season goes on.

I also have a family ticket in the Atyeo, and one of these seats is not being used, due to the fact it was cheaper to buy a family ticket, than to buy 2 adult and 1 child season tickets. while my 9 yr old grandchild attends, my 4 yr old hasnt got the attention span to sit in one place for the duration of the match. I agree that its a waste of a seat, especially at the moment but I'm not about to pay more than I need to. 

Archived