IGNORED

Running Away With It?

reddogkev

On paper we have the best team in this league by a mile, we're playing poorly and still winning.. What does this tell us you plonker...?

We played a get out of jail card today which won't happen every time we want one. Playing awlful but winning in injury is great but, It tells me that there are still issues that need to be addressed if we are to win this league. Lady luck will go elsewhere at a critical point soon unless defensivly things change.

We played a get out of jail card today which won't happen every time we want one. Playing awlful but winning in injury is great but, It tells me that there are still issues that need to be addressed if we are to win this league. Lady luck will go elsewhere at a critical point soon unless defensivly things change.

we weren't awful though.

we werent much better than awful

Really, I don't know which game I went to then, I thought it was a good game involving two teams playing with a lot of confidence going forward, We scored 3 goals and were unlucky not to score more. They scored two, both from errors, and stretched Fielding on maybe two more occasions. If that was playing "awful" then god help any side that meets us when we are playing well.

Really, I don't know which game I went to then, I thought it was a good game involving two teams playing with a lot of confidence going forward, We scored 3 goals and were unlucky not to score more. They scored two, both from errors, and stretched Fielding on maybe two more occasions. If that was playing "awful" then god help any side that meets us when we are playing well.

I wont deny it was a very good game, but i dont think we played well at all today, awful was a bit strong though

Of course it's relevant - we hit the woodwork twice today and that clearly isn't the good luck you seem convinced we are constantly benefitting from.

No, I don't think we'll win the league by 20 points, but no idea how that's relevant to what I said.

We're actually top of the league by a healthy margin and it's up to other teams to knock us off our perch.

Time will tell whether any of them are consistently good enough to do so - we'll no doubt have our poor results at some stage but I certainly don't envisage City imploding.

I didn't say that at all. I just said we are not some super team that is miles ahead of everybody, but yes I think we are lucky not to have lost at all after 12 games. We have had the rub of the green so far, but will almost certainly have a bad patch at some stage.

Let's try to remember the OP's question: -

Are we going to steamroll this division and cross the finish line with weeks (dare I say months) to spare?

That's what I was answering.

In our first season in the championship we certainly wasn't blowing teams out of the water, we had a number of games under the cosh yet still won/drew and just missed out on the auto's.  The fact is we had a decent capable side with abit of quailty and a great team spirit - some of the attributes for promotion..  I see similarities with our current side, but with younger (remember most of these are only 19 -24 years old! Expect inconsistency!) and better quality players.

I don't believe its luck thats won us difficult/close games but the ability, quality and team spirit - it's got the fight to dig itself out of trouble. We aren't going to steamroller this division but the team has all the hallmarks of a capable promotion side.

Are we going to steamroll this division and cross the finish line with weeks (dare I say months) to spare?

In the OP's follow up post they admitted they didn't realise clubs had those games in hand on us. So the whole question is a little out of reality, we all know we're not gonna walk this.

Just as a matter of interest, which game do you think we were lucky not to lose?

On paper we have the best team in this league by a mile, we're playing poorly and still winning.. What does this tell us you plonker...?

And to add to your direct line of criticism, which is far better coming from you than me, I should like to say that if one looks at the goal differences through the table, apart from top 2 and bottom 2, you will see little difference. In short my babbers nobody is likely to run away with many games this season; City are simply better than anyone else, at the moment, and by a surprisingly decent margin but that will likely not always be the case for 46 games. 

Having said all of that I do like the idea of Invincibles 2 ... mmmmm.

The mad thing is if we could defend a lead with the efficiency Wolves demonstrated throughout last season, we really would be miles ahead.

Aside from the 0-0, we've led in every single game we've played this season.

That doesn't scream of a side sitting in a false position.

went 1  down at Notts County & Colchester

I didn't say that at all. I just said we are not some super team that is miles ahead of everybody, but yes I think we are lucky not to have lost at all after 12 games. We have had the rub of the green so far, but will almost certainly have a bad patch at some stage.

I really think /know you have not a clue about football, staying unbeaten this season after 12 games in the league, and if you factor in last season unbeaten run too, how can that be just down to good luck? It is not luck it is CONFIDENCE, ability,  skill, teamwork good management and vocal support from the fans, and if an one of those factors are not happening in a game we have  the CONFIDENCE to overcome and win, that is what happened yesterday, and two weeks ago, it is the proof that we have the winning mentality, unlike 12 months ago when we couldn't buy a win, bottom of the league despite  playing OK .

Don't knock it.

I thought we were very poor today, if i was watching the game and had no knowledge of the standing I'd have said we looked like a mid table team and chesterfield looked a better one, having said that us still winning the game says a lot

Ive seen us only 2 times this season (Cheltenham was the other game) and im far from convinced yet and going to carry on with the prediction i made pre season that we will finish 7th

OK then just outside the play off's and another season in the lower leagues, what a miserable prediction, we cannot play great football every time, sometimes we have to dig deep for the win, that is a sign of Champions, cheer up we are top of the league!!!

Last season Leyton Orient and Peterborough were with the same points after 12 games as City now and were said to be running away with the league. You know the rest as we are still playing them both this season. All we have done is built a platform. Despite outstanding results, we have much to improve on, and will need to improve if we are going to gain automatic promotion. 

Absolutely , we're in a great position ....... and that's all  (cliche' alert ) you win nothing in October/November.

It may start to get a little more interesting now if Korey Smith is out for an extended period.  The squad players come in and we will be tested in different ways, it was always going to happen. It would be almost impossible to go through the season with out losing players. 

Lets not forget if the teams just below us win their games in hand, and they are also going well, the league is a lot closer.

I really think /know you have not a clue about football, staying unbeaten this season after 12 games in the league, and if you factor in last season unbeaten run too, how can that be just down to good luck? It is not luck it is CONFIDENCE, ability, skill, teamwork good management and vocal support from the fans, and if an one of those factors are not happening in a game we have the CONFIDENCE to overcome and win, that is what happened yesterday, and two weeks ago, it is the proof that we have the winning mentality, unlike 12 months ago when we couldn't buy a win, bottom of the league despite playing OK .

Don't knock it.

Oh another gratuitous insult. Ho hum. Get a life.

Oh another gratuitous insult. Ho hum. Get a life.

Oh well, but wasn't it you that called a fellow red a moron for having a opinion that didn't meet with yours? You come over as a pretty negative person who seems to think City's success is down to luck, and you think also we will finish out of the top 6, you might be right, but for the love of God we have had it so bad for the last few seasons I don't want to listen to your doom mongering lectures...Naa You Get  a Life   :yes:    

A game at a time.

As mentioned by many; other sides still in this division now were in similar or better positions last season, so we need to prepare for bumps on the road.

The old blocks of ten are always good measures, and with 4 points from two matches in the latest one, then we need to hope for another 4 between Coventry and Bradford. That sort of form keeps us where we are, and sets us up nicely for the games against fellow challengers.

Perhaps one of our resident stattos can tell us when it was that Tranmere were top of this  division (season before last?) and look where they are today. I don't think the cliche of taking one game at time could ever be more apt. Lets concentrate on the marathon not the early front running.

just found it myself. On the 16th Oct 2012 Tranmere were top, unbeaten,on 29 points and 8 points clear of the chasing pack. By the 29th October (three games later) they were still on 29 points and level top with Sheff Utd. By the end of the season they were 11th. Today they are bottom of league 2 with 9 points. I don't think for one minute any decline we might have would match that but it is a reality check. 

I hope that Korey Smith is not out for too long and that the coaching team can come up with a cover plan if he is.

Other than the little run of 2-0, 3-0 and 3-0 we had, the other nine games have been drawn or we have won by the odd goal. The last four games our aggregate is 10-8. Overall, our goal scoring has been pretty consistent, but we are now shipping a few more. If is fair to say those games include two in the top six, but it is hardly 'a class above' type stuff.

That says to me the vast majority of games we are having to dig in to get the result. As you would expect really, but not much would have to change, a little bit of bad luck here and there, and a lot of those results would be very different. Most teams we have played will feel rightly there was not much in it.

We are a couple of yards up at the end of the first lap of a 1500m race.

Archived