IGNORED

Bobby Reid At Plymouth...

spudski

...seems to be doing well their.

However... after watching him and Bryan come through together here, one has maybe found his level the other has kicked on and keeps improving in our first team.

I've heard from numerous people in the game locally, that Reid's problem is that he thinks he's better than he is, and thinks he's already made it.

I had correspondence with someone connected at Plymouth and amongst other comments this stood out... Quote... 'Yes, Reid is playing well, maybe he has found his level, but God does he rate and love himself'.

That's a shame if so... I wonder what can be done to combat this attitude and give him a reality check.

Just getting a pro contract gives some young players the idea that they've 'made it'. What Reid needs to remember is that he hasn't made it yet at City let alone a lucrative deal in the Championship or PL.

If he is really up himself then his kindly manager needs to have a quiet word in his ear.......

Flip me Spud if playing for Plymuff in the fourth division on loan does n't scream at the top if it's voice "YOU AINT THERE YET BUD " then nothing will.!

The best players need a bit of arrogance about them .

Agreed Fella...but you even see this attitude in some players in the Conference.

Some have ambition it seems...others are just happy to have the plaudits and adulation at that level.

Shame...because I think with a little guidance he could at least get to Championship level...seen glimpses in the past.

I feel Reid needs to leave the club completely if he's got any ambition of being a footballer at a higher level

Would go along with that. Get the lad out of his comfort zone

As others have said, if being a reserve at City and going on loan to Cheltenham and Plymouth is 'making it' then he needs a wake up call

IMO there's been a little bit of over reaction re Reid, remember things can change in football VERY quickly.

I definitely think Reid has the ability to do well in the game, along with Bryan. But I think the most significant thing that has contributed to Bryan playing regularly and Reid not, is competition for places.

Bryan started behind Cunningham in the pecking order but GC hasn't really made that left wing back position his own. As a result, Bryan got an opportunity and has taken it. Conversely, with the signings of Elliott and Smith in the summer, Reid was never going to be first choice. It looks like he's behind Pack as well.

Obviously Reid needs to take responsibility for his development and take opportunities (which he didn't do in the league cup) when he gets them. Think it's far from the end of his City career though and like I said, things can change very quickly in football. There's a good chance Smith might miss a few games. Pack will be in and Reid will be back on the bench when his loan finishes (which I believe must be soon).....

These players are teenagers, of course they're going to lord it and act billy big bollocks when someone is paying them x times the average wage to play football, why should they keep trying? It's just going to happen for them isn't it?

You need a good grounding and good people to keep you grounded it would seem.

Torn on this one. Feel that maybe he is young enough to come back here and become a success, then I think about his best game in a city shirt I have seen and it was Rovers last season maybe that is his level (league 2 not NL!)

IMO there's been a little bit of over reaction re Reid, remember things can change in football VERY quickly.

I definitely think Reid has the ability to do well in the game, along with Bryan. But I think the most significant thing that has contributed to Bryan playing regularly and Reid not, is competition for places.

Bryan started behind Cunningham in the pecking order but GC hasn't really made that left wing back position his own. As a result, Bryan got an opportunity and has taken it. Conversely, with the signings of Elliott and Smith in the summer, Reid was never going to be first choice. It looks like he's behind Pack as well.

Obviously Reid needs to take responsibility for his development and take opportunities (which he didn't do in the league cup) when he gets them. Think it's far from the end of his City career though and like I said, things can change very quickly in football. There's a good chance Smith might miss a few games. Pack will be in and Reid will be back on the bench when his loan finishes (which I believe must be soon).....

The thing about coming through an academy is there is always another younger batch coming up behind you.

In Reid's case he has to keep progressing or the likes of Mafuta, Morrell, Murphy, Fry - whoever - get their chance, take it, and suddenly he's a near 22 year old further back in the pecking order with nowhere to go but backwards.

You don't get unlimited chances to prove yourself and really make your mark and Reid has to return from Plmouth psychologically determined to make his if he isn't going to fizzle out at City.

He's looked very much like a player who'd plateaued and was on the decline, culminating in that awful performance against Oxford.

Hopefully this spell at Plymouth will be the making of him.

The best players need a bit of arrogance about them .

Sorry can't agree with that at all. Confidence, yes, but not arrogance.

There are plenty of top top players that feel the need to display ZERO arrogance.

There is no link between arrogance and how good a player is. Players can display arrogance all the way from world class down to sunday league.

If a top player is arrogant, then people say 'that's what makes him what he is'... and it is accepted simply because he has earned the right to display arrogance by being so good.

So often the objects of comparison, the contrast between Ronaldo and Messi again providing the perfect example in this case.

Sorry can't agree with that at all. Confidence, yes, but not arrogance.

There are plenty of top top players that feel the need to display ZERO arrogance.

There is no link between arrogance and how good a player is. Players can display arrogance all the way from world class down to sunday league.

If a top player is arrogant, then people say 'that's what makes him what he is'... and it is accepted simply because he has earned the right to display arrogance by being so good.

So often the objects of comparison, the contrast between Ronaldo and Messi again providing the perfect example in this case.

Ok confidence and a bit of devilment .

We've been here so many times in the past with youngsters who think they've made it when they haven't.

When his loan ends I suggest Reid goes and watches Bath and Weston as that is where a lot who thought like that end up.

Well I assume someone at City still thinks he has a future at the club as Reid was offered, and signed, a two year contract in the summer.

He needs to learn off our current midfield 3 and look at the incredible mileage they put in each game. Unless he ups his workrate I can't see him being anything like a regular under SC.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/163416-bryan-reid-and-burns/

Was only a few months back that some were saying Bryan had the most to improve upon out of him, Wes and Bobby. Just look at him now.

Things change quickly in football. I won't comment on Bobby's attitude and personality because it's all hearsay, he is talented and still has plenty of time to prove that. The loan to Plymouth will do him the world of good and he looks to be proving that already - people moan about youngsters not getting chances in the first team but he was in a largely struggling team last season for his first good run of games in the first team and now is being written off by some because of it. Well, it's either that or because of his performance in the game against Oxford in which everyone played badly - a few months ago people were making similar comments about Joe, I hope Bobby can respond in a similar manner.

Just found another old thread that shows how quick opinions can change - http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/159173-bobby-reid/.

However... after watching him and Bryan come through together here, one has maybe found his level the other has kicked on and keeps improving in our first team.

I've heard from numerous people in the game locally, that Reid's problem is that he thinks he's better than he is, and thinks he's already made it.

I had correspondence with someone connected at Plymouth and amongst other comments this stood out... Quote... 'Yes, Reid is playing well, maybe he has found his level, but God does he rate and love himself'.

That's a shame if so... I wonder what can be done to combat this attitude and give him a reality check.

I was told this at the end of last season as the reason he was in the stand & not on the pitch

Who are all these comedians who question Bobby Reid's attitude without one single ,solitary ounce of proof that he has a problem ?

Show us the proof or shut the fervk up ?

I agree, it's all hearsay and assumptions and not really fair on him. Where's the proof? Just because he hasn't been in the team doesn't mean he has a bad attitude. Last time I checked we had real quality infront of him in the pecking order, maybe that's why he hasn't had any opportunities.

Don't forget Bryan was out of the team for a considerable amount of time last season. Is that because he had a bad attitude is it?

Just found this on the Plymouth Forum... 

Topic was titled 'Who is our most important player?'

"It's an entertainment industry, so it's not who the manager likes best, or even objectively the most proficient, but the most entertaining in the eyes of each customer, surely.
At the moment, for me, that would be B Reid by some margin."

Being on loan at Plymouth should be a start.

I don't doubt his ability, I think he will be a late bloomer and forge a decent career around the lower leagues ala Jennison Myrie-Williams, another who,was rumoured to,suffer the same attitude"

Who are all these comedians who question Bobby Reid's attitude without one single ,solitary ounce of proof that he has a problem ?

Show us the proof or shut the fervk up ?

What is 'proof' these day's...?

If you read it in a paper would you believe it?

If you read it on a website...would you believe it?

If you read it in a book...ditto?

If you heard it from a managers mouth?

It's all hear say...

If you heard it from one of the training staff maybe?

Just because it is written on a football forum, it doesn't mean it is wrong information.

Lots of people have connection with those in the game.

In this case...no smoke without fire.

I've heard it personally from within the game, and others in the game have heard it also.

As with anything...you can't go around naming names, as it's not the done thing.

Plus anyone can deny it...as we see every week in the media...look at the Sterling/Hodgson debate this week...

spud there always seems to be a but or however about anything about our club.

the boy seems to be doing well at Plymouth, for most of us that's good news, but you always have a different angle.

I don't doubt your contacts or insight of the game but for us long time suffering mere mortals were enjoying this little run!!

god when your my age even you might take this day in the sun!!

spud there always seems to be a but or however about anything about our club.

the boy seems to be doing well at Plymouth, for most of us that's good news, but you always have a different angle.

I don't doubt your contacts or insight of the game but for us long time suffering mere mortals were enjoying this little run!!

god when your my age even you might take this day in the sun!!

I'm not sure where you get I'm not enjoying our recent successes on the pitch. I am...

This is just a reflection on one of our players out on loan.

Apparently he's doing rather well their...which is great.

I and others have heard he has a problem with 'attitude'...and it was funny it was also mentioned by someone connected with Plymouth...that's all...nothing more...nothing less... :thumbsup:

Btw...I think there are 'Buts and 'howevers' with every Club...there is a reason one of the most prolific money making businesses on the planet isn't that transparent.

Archived