IGNORED

Lost Football Grounds

Mahatma Coate

Apart from the section on NLBR this is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29460621

Quite a few others I would be interested in too.

Very interesting. Would have been good to see some arial shots of how the grounds look now, as like the Arsenal one. Would like to see Walsall and Cardiff myself. Went to Cardiff a few years ago and the old Ninian Park was half old stadium and half housing estate. Very surreal.

Very interesting. Would have been good to see some arial shots of how the grounds look now, as like the Arsenal one. Would like to see Walsall and Cardiff myself. Went to Cardiff a few years ago and the old Ninian Park was half old stadium and half housing estate. Very surreal.

I did some consultancy a few years ago for a bank that has offices right where the old Goldstone Ground used to be. That was odd.

There must be dozens by now, in fact I have been to a fair few others that are not there now - Eastville, Huish, The Dell, Cold Blow Lane, Highbury, Fellows Park, Old Show Ground, Gay Meadow, Ayresome, Roker, Baseball Ground, Highfield Road, Victoria Park (Stoke and Salisbury), Leeds Road, Filbert Street.....

Now I feel old!

You'll find pictures of a few on 28dayslater.co.uk if you search. Certainly find some of Hull, Rotherham, Scarborough and Glos City on there at least.

Gloucester City are actually moving back to Meadow Park.

I do like an old football ground, and love visiting different ones, I am up to 182 at the moment, and can highly recommend getting relegated to the conference for adding a few new ones.

You'll find pictures of a few on 28dayslater.co.uk if you search. Certainly find some of Hull, Rotherham, Scarborough and Glos City on there at least.

I'd forgotten Millmoor, just remembered Northampton though - what a dump. Belle Vue was falling apart when I went there but never understood why Darlington left Feethams. Of course there was also Maine Road, Ninian Park, Vetch Field, Somerton Park, Seeland Road......

I've also got Servette's old ground in my back catalogue!

I do like an old football ground, and love visiting different ones, I am up to 182 at the moment, and can highly recommend getting relegated to the conference for adding a few new ones.

I've been to 4 Glos city grounds; Horton Road, the Lawn, Whaddon Road and the old (new) Meadow Park, but not the Corinium Stadium. Anybody beat 4 grounds for 1 team!?

I do like an old football ground, and love visiting different ones, I am up to 182 at the moment, and can highly recommend getting relegated to the conference for adding a few new ones.

Actually old bean, there are some very interesting ones in the Conference South, which you may like to visit some time.

For many years, while a planning dispute dragged on to a messy conclusion, you could look into Plough Lane if you were on the top deck of a passing bus.

Really eerie: the grass was waist height and a tree was growing from a goal post! The old adverts were still up and there was a sign advertising "the next home game".

It was as if the ground had been abandoned during some great plague or something.

Now it's a load of flats and there's a statue of Vinny Jones in the central courtyard.

I'd forgotten Millmoor, just remembered Northampton though - what a dump. Belle Vue was falling apart when I went there but never understood why Darlington left Feethams. Of course there was also Maine Road, Ninian Park, Vetch Field, Somerton Park, Seeland Road......

I think rugby league club use Milmoor - the scrapyard next door, Booths, still own it.

Elm Park - Reading!

Layer Road - Colchester United!

Baseball Ground - Derby County!

Saltergate - Chesterfield

So many clubs have got rid of old stadiums but must admit I do like Derbys Pride Park

Forgot Elm Park and Plough Lane, proper old-style grounds. I also went to De Meer before Ajax moved, can't think of any more though.

Anyone know how many Archibald Leitch stadia are still in use? There was a certain style to them.

Remember that bank at the old wigan ground too!

Weeds growing up through railway sleepers from what I remember, oh and our old floodlights. How times have changed. Elm park was pretty hairy during the Reading riots, again changed fortunes and changed venue. Newport's Somerton Park was an experience back in the day too, total dump. Interesting to see Bolton has now got an Asda built on it, when in was there it had a B&Q or something almost encroaching onto the pitch in one corner.

I had managed to tick off a lot of grounds but then many moved and I haven't done them since, eg have been to old Walsall several times but not their 'new' ground yet. I haven't been to hardly any Premiership grounds as I only consider them 'done' if I have seen City play there...one day maybe!

I've been to 4 Glos city grounds; Horton Road, the Lawn, Whaddon Road and the old (new) Meadow Park, but not the Corinium Stadium. Anybody beat 4 grounds for 1 team!?

Eastville, Twerton Park, Ashton Gate & The Mem  would equal it (we did once play a pre season 'home' friendly at Yeovil, but I missed it!)

There is plenty of videos of old football grounds on youtube. It takes me back, I've been to one or two of these old grounds, I suppose modern fans these days want modern comforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LUsq-2jS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07__EgstYus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZc_rV6Gn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq75x3n47T0

It is staggering how many teams have moved in recent times. I have just had a quick count up and I reckon there are 35 league grounds I have visited with Rovers that are no longer in use. I know you can't stop progress, and some of the old grounds had all sorts of problems, but give me a Millmoor over a Kassam anyday.

Forgot Elm Park and Plough Lane, proper old-style grounds. I also went to De Meer before Ajax moved, can't think of any more though.

Anyone know how many Archibald Leitch stadia are still in use? There was a certain style to them.

I believe Fulham is a Leitch as well - usual Leitch gable.

I live quite near the old McCain Stadium in Scarborough. All stands were demolished a few years back and all that remains is the perimeter wall and gates and the site remains waste, whilst Scarborough Athletic have to play 20 miles down the road. The club are hoping to return to the town soon, but all hope that the old stadium site can ever be used again have been dashed. All pretty sad really for a former league club.

I live quite near the old McCain Stadium in Scarborough. All stands were demolished a few years back and all that remains is the perimeter wall and gates and the site remains waste, whilst Scarborough Athletic have to play 20 miles down the road. The club are hoping to return to the town soon, but all hope that the old stadium site can ever be used again have been dashed. All pretty sad really for a former league club.

Wasn't that the "Theatre of Chips"?

Archived