IGNORED

Jet

OldlandReddies

If any of our players were sold and then lined up against us for the opposition, who would worry you most?

Surely Jet.

Yep, but I'd also know that he was very much the type of player that is either hot or cold and there was a good chance we might just catch him on an off day.

I'm a big fan of JETs but as others have said you can't criticise Cotts one bit as he's got it spot on so far and our top scorer is the man most people would probably drop for JET.

I think JET is a good player and has done well when he has come on - Certainly has ability - but anyone watching the warm up before the game on Saturday will see the problem.

Whilst everyone else was giving the warm up sprints their full attention JET was larking about and finished yards behind everyone else on each sprint. It's a shame because he is so clearly talented but if that's how he trains in the week I can understand why he hardly gets any game time.

If the game merits it make the subs earlier, give them at least 20/25 minutes. Let Jet earn a place just like any player, don't include him just because he is Jet. It's a team game and the players who have started have been consistent. Maybe there is more chance for the subs during weeks like this when we have Sat- Tues-Sat games.

If the game merits it make the subs earlier, give them at least 20/25 minutes. Let Jet earn a place just like any player, don't include him just because he is Jet. It's a team game and the players who have started have been consistent. Maybe there is more chance for the subs during weeks like this when we have Sat- Tues-Sat games.

On that note, not sure what the fuss is re subs being made so late. Cotts obviously hasn't wanted to change things up earlier for a reason and as I've already said he's got it spot on so far so can't complain.

Millen made a point a few years ago when manager which I think is also valid in this. People always think that subs make you stronger because they are fresh legs coming on when everyone is tired. However, he argued that it actually took subs a while to get to grips with the pace of a game both tactically and physically. I think anyone who plays themselves will identify with this. No matter how good you warm up is or how well you study the game unfolding it's still going to take you time to settle into it.

Perhaps this is why Cotts has been reluctant to make changes earlier.

When did Cotterill say that he didn't Jet wasn't good enough for League 1?

Squad Game...He'll get his chance....agree with the original poster though, Needs 15-20mins rather than the insulting and regular 3-4mins than he gets...

our form will dip at some point and hopefully he will be given a chance.

To say he will be gone in 6months is stupid though

Twenty quid bet to charity that he is not in our squad next season.

Agreed?

On that note, not sure what the fuss is re subs being made so late. Cotts obviously hasn't wanted to change things up earlier for a reason and as I've already said he's got it spot on so far so can't complain.

Millen made a point a few years ago when manager which I think is also valid in this. People always think that subs make you stronger because they are fresh legs coming on when everyone is tired. However, he argued that it actually took subs a while to get to grips with the pace of a game both tactically and physically. I think anyone who plays themselves will identify with this. No matter how good you warm up is or how well you study the game unfolding it's still going to take you time to settle into it.

Perhaps this is why Cotts has been reluctant to make changes earlier.

That's why I said if the game merits it, not subs for the sake of subs. If the players are looking like they have given their all and are struggling to keep pace then maybe fresh legs for the remainder of the game. But I also agree it's a fine line to judge the timing as also proved earlier this season when an error by the just introduced Pack cost us a win.

Wasnt it Nick Carle who was always subbed on 60/65 minutes, he knew he only had to play until then not conserve his energy until 90/95 minutes. I'm not saying this approach is right either but hoping older players to play 90 twice a week will soon catch up with them.

My worry is that when we need a players who has only had very limited game time suddenly to play 90 mins or thereabouts how much fitness and match practice do they actually have. Yes Pack came through Coventry well, but they say over and over training is no substitute for playing.

But it's working, what the heck do I know.

I wouldn't start him, but he should be coming on with 20 minutes to go. Wilbraham was knackered and kept giving the ball away more as the game went on, JET would of given us something different, and would always be a threat in front of goal. SC needs to utilize him more

Thats interesting. I didn't go up to Cov, but I have been saying since the start of the season that we need to look after Wilbraham. I think at any age it is going to be difficult to starting 3 games in 3 seasons to playing twice a week consistently. I realise he is very fit but there must be a risk of burning him out, especially once the weather changes and the away pitches get heavier.

He doesn't run. Can't possibly be a good football player if he doesn't run about for 90 minutes.

Didn't you know that it's actually called running now. The name football isn't really relevant as technical ability mean nothing.

JET is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with this countries attitude to football and it's why this country will never win a World Cup or Euro. Technique and flair. Pathetic. What kind of coach encouraged that at a young age, he should have been doing shuttle runs.

Waster.

He doesn't run. Can't possibly be a good football player if he doesn't run about for 90 minutes.

Didn't you know that it's actually called running now. The name football isn't really relevant as technical ability mean nothing.

JET is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with this countries attitude to football and it's why this country will never win a World Cup or Euro. Technique and flair. Pathetic. What kind of coach encouraged that at a young age, he should have been doing shuttle runs.

Waster.

to be fair if your playing centre midfield( which he has been this season) work rate not just running around is essential if your playing up front in the role he plays not so important!

In the years I've been watching City i have seen literally dozens of players that run about a lot but without actually createing anything. None of them had a quarter of the ability that JET has.

It's the age old conundrum - do you play hard workers or players with footballing brains and terrific skills.

JET obviously falls into the latter.

Trundle was another ( not as skilled as JET) but capable of scoring great goals but like JET he was considered too lazy.

if I were a manager I know who I'd select.

One of the best natural footballer we have ever had on ours books.  Like it has been said before many times, there is no doubt on his skills base.  Some of what i saw last season was amazing to watch.  A really good footballing brain on his shoulders.  Many times i could see him looking for a pass that was not there.  Again i need to agree with what has been said before.  JET is the reason why i attend football matches.  I want to see flashes of skill like that.  I cannot do it.  So i pay to watch people who can.  I want  entertanment at football matches.  Players like JET provide this. 

For large parts JET played well in a poor team last year.  I really would like to see what he can do in a team that is playing well.  I do not think the team would start playing badly because JET was playing.  I feel he would add to it even more.  The big question is where would he play.  At the moment i would be more than happy to see wilbs off after 65 minutes and bring jet on.  Of course the game dictates who we bring on,  but i really want to see more of him.

I love going home and having a beer after thinking about what i have just watched.  Watching my team at the moment is exciting.  Adding a player like JET makes it just that little bit more exciting.

IF we were promoted, playing in the Championship would play into JET's hands as you are generally given more space and we would undoubtedly need more quality or players that can change a game.

As much as JET isnt involved now, mainly because the team is playing so well and you cant change a winning team, I would say that IF we are promoted JET would be happy to stay (as playing at higher level) and I hope he gets another contract because he has the quality we need. I would say that the likes of Burns would then be pushed out on loan to play in league 1

If it was based purely on natural ability JET would be the first name on the team sheet each week. But, it's not, football is about a lot more and JET offers very little in terms of the other parts of the game. Work ethic is shocking, defensively he adds so little which I think is why he gets barely any game time; you don't want to bring a player like him on when we're winning by just the one goal because when he's on we are effectively defending with 10 and a half players. Don't get me wrong he is a great player who is probably in the best couple of players in the league based on natural ability alone but football is a team game and he just doesn't fit into it. If he worked hard enough I honestly think he could be pushing premier league football! 

If it was based purely on natural ability JET would be the first name on the team sheet each week. But, it's not, football is about a lot more and JET offers very little in terms of the other parts of the game. Work ethic is shocking, defensively he adds so little which I think is why he gets barely any game time; you don't want to bring a player like him on when we're winning by just the one goal because when he's on we are effectively defending with 10 and a half players. Don't get me wrong he is a great player who is probably in the best couple of players in the league based on natural ability alone but football is a team game and he just doesn't fit into it. If he worked hard enough I honestly think he could be pushing premier league football!

I do agree entirely but I'd also add that you can't make someone what they're not. I know everyone in a team has to pull their weight but you can't turn JET into a player he's not. He's never going to be a Roy Keane nipping after players all over the pitch. His style is similar to Berbatovs if you like.

It's a headache for any manager because you gamble on leaving out real quality but having a strong team unit (like Germany have had for years) versus making your unit significantly weaker (down to 10 men effectively in some extreme cases) but having a player with the potential to win you a game. There's no easy answer.

There is a reason he was released from Arsenal and Ipswich and why Cardiff never came in for him after his loan and why Jason Koumas took his place on the bench their.

There is a reason why he is sat on the bench of a 3rd Division Team.

For all his 'skills'...

Whether it be his fitness, which he can't get to 'Standard' as mentioned by Wenger.. Manager Wenger has been effusive in his praise for Thomas stating, "When his fitness is right, Jay will be not only a good player but a great player."

Or his mental strength...who knows...

Only SoD seemed to get the best out of him 'individually...but we didn't get results with him in that team.

I do agree entirely but I'd also add that you can't make someone what they're not. I know everyone in a team has to pull their weight but you can't turn JET into a player he's not. He's never going to be a Roy Keane nipping after players all over the pitch. His style is similar to Berbatovs if you like.

It's a headache for any manager because you gamble on leaving out real quality but having a strong team unit (like Germany have had for years) versus making your unit significantly weaker (down to 10 men effectively in some extreme cases) but having a player with the potential to win you a game. There's no easy answer.

Germany with players like Mesut Ozil? Another terrible player who has boring attributes like flair, guile and skill. Why can't he chase the ball about for 90 minutes. Those Germans must be upset that players like Jon Stead were born in England. What a waste.

We did pretty well with JET in the team under Cotterill last season, even if his goalscoring record wasn't as impressive as under SOD.

At League One level, where his attacking skills are most effective, we should be able to find more than a 2 minute place for him.

Yeah we did pretty well. But this season we're doing so much better.

How you've got to look at it...we're top of the league by 5 points.

Haven't lost a game in the League.

Scored the most goals in the league.

Have the biggest goal difference in the league by 4 goals.

And only 2 other teams have conceded less than us.

Yes we have moments in the 90 mins when we don't look comfortable...and I'm sure there will come a time when we lose a few and we are no longer top of the league...fingers crossed we don't...but the likelihood is it might.

But at the moment, it's a nice problem to have JET and other quality players to turn to on the bench.

Winning this league will mean using pretty much everyone in the Squad at some point.

JET hasn't done enough to budge those who have put us in that position yet.

His time may come...but it would be daft to change things now, just because we have 'Talent' on the bench.

He is a class act but as other players do, he has off days and perhaps it's magnified more due to everyone's expectations of him.

I'd get him under contract ASAP, it's a long season and as others have said, he will have to wait his turn while the team is flying.

The question I would ask - what is stopping him putting it in more?

I know what is stopping players who don't have his skill - ability. But on the occasions (and we've all seen it) when he's strolled back instead of get back or chase it down - why not add that??

How many times have we heard (home and away) last season "Jet you lazy """" get back and chase it!" - they can't be imagining he doesn't do it.... I've seen it.

So again - why not simply add it to the already plentiful skill?

The question I would ask - what is stopping him putting it in more?

I know what is stopping players who don't have his skill - ability. But on the occasions (and we've all seen it) when he's strolled back instead of get back or chase it down - why not add that??

How many times have we heard (home and away) last season "Jet you lazy """" get back and chase it!" - they can't be imagining he doesn't do it.... I've seen it.

So again - why not simply add it to the already plentiful skill?

I honestly believe it's fitness...or his inability to actually get fit to football league standard. Maybe it's down to genetics...however hard you train, not everyone can get that fit, regardless of natural football skills.

I've seen the guy sprint...he can.

I've even seen him chase back...he can...but over 90 mins..hmmmm....maybe that's why Wenger who would have had lots of information to hand, let him go.

He's even always the last to join the celebration huddle after scoring FFS :laughcont: ...the bloke naturally doesn't want to move.

He is a class act but as other players do, he has off days and perhaps it's magnified more due to everyone's expectations of him.

I'd get him under contract ASAP, it's a long season and as others have said, he will have to wait his turn while the team is flying.

Why would he sign a contract?

Archived