IGNORED

Jet

OldlandReddies

i believe its in his metabulism. he knows what he can and cannot do.no point chasing back if he cant burst forward should the ball break his way. from the half way line you would put money on him to score or assist everytime he got a chance,which he does do a lot.

i understand the team thing and quite like the idea of him coming on later against tired opponents.makes the odds of him creating something even better.we are now in a position where we can chase wins instead of settling for a draw.

cotts is no mug and knows what he wants,best left up to him i think although these late subs are baffling sometimes

i believe its in his metabulism. he knows what he can and cannot do.no point chasing back if he cant burst forward should the ball break his way. from the half way line you would put money on him to score or assist everytime he got a chance,which he does do a lot.

i understand the team thing and quite like the idea of him coming on later against tired opponents.makes the odds of him creating something even better.we are now in a position where we can chase wins instead of settling for a draw.

cotts is no mug and knows what he wants,best left up to him i think although these late subs are baffling sometimes

I think you might want to reconsider that first sentence.

Up at Coventry on Saturday, as soon as Jet came on, and a ball was hit 20 yards in front of him with pace, that not even Usain Bolt would have caught, a bloke a couple of seats away from me, shouted " Chase it you lazy B***ard",

I have to admit I lost it a bit and and asked why the **** anyone would chase a ball that you are never gonna reach. Is answer was, "Well at least it would like like he was trying".That said it all for me, and told him to "Be quiet", well kind off anyway.

Like a lot of people have said, I want to be entertained at football, and Jet is the type of player that I like to watch, my all time favorite, was Jacki, he never scored that many, never ran around for 90 minutes, and if you asked him to tackle, you might has well  of just called him a ****, but when he had the ball, he was magical, and you were just memerised by his skill, never his work rate, exactly the same as Jet.

Up at Coventry on Saturday, as soon as Jet came on, and a ball was hit 20 yards in front of him with pace, that not even Usain Bolt would have caught, a bloke a couple of seats away from me, shouted " Chase it you lazy B***ard",

I have to admit I lost it a bit and and asked why the **** anyone would chase a ball that you are never gonna reach. Is answer was, "Well at least it would like like he was trying".That said it all for me, and told him to "Be quiet", well kind off anyway.

Like a lot of people have said, I want to be entertained at football, and Jet is the type of player that I like to watch, my all time favorite, was Jacki, he never scored that many, never ran around for 90 minutes, and if you asked him to tackle, you might has well  of just called him a ****, but when he had the ball, he was magical, and you were just memerised by his skill, never his work rate, exactly the same as Jet.

Personally, I'd still rather have a team that won stuff. JET was a chink of light when we were playing dire football under O'Driscoll, but for me he shouldn't be in the first XI now.

Personally, I'd still rather have a team that won stuff. JET was a chink of light when we were playing dire football under O'Driscoll, but for me he shouldn't be in the first XI now.

Definately, but when he gets his chance, I hope he takes it, and fans get off his back, and remember running up and down the pitch, non stop for 90 minutes is not his game,skill is.

Somehow we need to keep this boy happy. It will be a travesty if he were to move on because of a lack of game time. He is without doubt one of the most gifted players in this league and one of a few who has the quality to be a real game changer. We are lucky to have him but do need to get him involved more. I'm not saying that someone should be dropped to accommodate him but he should be given at least 20 minutes or so to make his impact really count and finish teams off.   

Check Cotts' record on subs this season: only ever makes our subs after the opp's made all - not one or two but all three - of theirs.

And no subs made earlier than 75 mins+.

Ain't gonna happen for JET.

In all honesty, I'd rather see him sign for someone else and be playing 90 mins each week, so that some fans can get enjoyment from his immense talent. It's totally mystifying to see him sat on his arse on the bench. Mind, if anyone's looking to sign him and watches his half-time ''warming up'' they'd think more than twice. Or not at all. The look he gave Burns on Sat at the Richo (natch) when Wes played a half-time ball about 2 yards wide of where JET was stood (and he had to go and fetch the ball then).

Dench or bench? https://thenatchwall.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/cov-1-city-31.pdf

Hahaha- that's classic!

Chink of light????? Try blinding beacon that burnt your pupils if you looked directly at him.

OTIB-  some posters too young to form a cogent opinion or some too old to be able to remember as far back as last season.

I agree with everything you say about Jacki and Jet.

But you are omitting one important fact.

Skill and genuine ball playing ability must have also a degree of effort. JET reminds me of Jacki for the good things and the not so good things. Like a game nearly twenty years ago at St James Park versus Newcastle. Up front for City were Andy Cole and Jacki. We got dumped 5-0 that day because the two of them did sod all to help the other nine in the team.

It is possible to get away with a flair player who does not work hard at home but replicate that away and we get slaughtered. 

I agree with everything you say about Jacki and Jet.

But you are omitting one important fact.

Skill and genuine ball playing ability must have also a degree of effort. JET reminds me of Jacki for the good things and the not so good things. Like a game nearly twenty years ago at St James Park versus Newcastle. Up front for City were Andy Cole and Jacki. We got dumped 5-0 that day because the two of them did sod all to help the other nine in the team.

It is possible to get away with a flair player who does not work hard at home but replicate that away and we get slaughtered.

Nothing you've said isn't true, but I do think JET's effectiveness this season is being under rated a bit here.

In his last three appearances (only one of which was longer than a few minutes) he's got three assists, and in one of his few 'extended' appearances (By which I mean more than ten minutes) this season he was crucial in helping us beat a stubborn team, who've since advanced into the play offs (Notts County).

Not trying to convince anyone that he's anything he's not, but what he is is a highly effective offensive player, to which many defences in this league simply have no answer; he's proven this last season.

May be he ends up elsewhere; so be it. But he gets a lot of stick here that isn't fair.

Yeah we did pretty well. But this season we're doing so much better.

that isnt simply down to taking jet out the team though, flint has improved dramatically and we have strengthened the team a lot 

i think some fans expect far too much from jet and are ready to jump on his back at the first mistake he makes-its almost as if they want him to cock up. at the cheltenham game when we had 5 mins or so where our play was sloppy in general the only player i could hear fans complaining about was jet. maybe he has become a victim of his own initial success here and because he wasnt able to continue that week in week out.

also from the small glimpses ive seen of him this season it looks to me like he is slowly getting fitter, so maybe we will see more of him over the coming months, especially as other players start to get tired and possibly some injuries

How many minutes has Jet had so far? ....

would be interesting if someone could work out his 'significant contributions to minutes played ratio' ...

(I just made that up, but it sounds sort of right.. :laugh:)

I imagine it'd show excellent vfm & prove quite impressive.

As super-subs go, they don't come much more effective than Jet. :)

Definately, but when he gets his chance, I hope he takes it, and fans get off his back, and remember running up and down the pitch, non stop for 90 minutes is not his game,skill is.

Running around a lot pleases a lot of City fans though. I mean I love Jon Stead, met the bloke a few times and what he did for the club was class. Gave everything. But ultimately he was a striker who although worked very hard lacked in goals and quality. You can bet you're bottom dollar that Stead will be more fondly remembered than JET in time when of course JET has moved on.

I was at Southampton last season for the league cup game when one of our own was ripping into JET claiming he 'wasn't good enough' and kept calling him a lazy bastard....wonder if he still feels the same? I regularly hear JET abused at games by mindless numbskulls. All because he doesn't 'run around'. It's so boring now. I would have thought even they were bored of it.

SC said against Cheltenham that if he plays JET he needs to have 2 runners in behind him, and that is the only reason why JET will not play more than a fleeting role. The essence of how we are playing this season is 10 outfield players all working for each other. The football world knows about JET and has done since Wenger released him. Ability wise he can do it all, but he is luxury most teams cannot afford. I cannot believe the player is so silly not to know what people want from him, it must be he is physically unable to get to the required energy levels for a 90 min role,endurance is also genetic they say, he is a lovely lad by all accounts. It is a shame for him, shame for us all, as he is the most wonderful footballer, but that is not going to be enough for any team today. He will however have moments this season where he will be needed, and the team will be set up to use him as it was against Cheltenham. In the mean time, I am sure he is on fitness training more than the others, and IMHO he looks like he has lost some bulk, and his sprinting (for as long as it lasts) is pretty explosive. If he keeps working hard, he will I am sure have his time this season, as it is impossible we will not suffer injuries and fatigue as the season enters the punishing middle period of 15 winter games. IMHO his best position is behind a front 1 or 2 at the tip of a central diamond. 

Sorry Billy I am not looking for an argument here but I have to say (probably not for the first time) how much I hate this term "LUXURY PLAYER". If it could be applied to any type of player, it would be to one that is great to watch, is full of crowd pleasing tricks like one of those guys they bring out at half time to entertain the crowd, but has no end product. As has been pointed out on here by many, in this and other threads, this is not JET, any player that produces the kind of end product he does, is not a luxury by any stretch of the imagination.  

As for the two runners, well I could argue that Korey Smith does that on his own and it's not like he does nothing at all that is myth passed around by those who do not wish to see his contribution in defence. However, like the others here I am not advocating wholesale changes just to fit him in, just asking that he is used for a length of time when he can be even more effective. An earlier version of Saturdays substitutions would be a good example, he comes on to create and Waggy or Pack come on to add the running, it just seems perverse at times not to utilise him more than we do.

Why would he sign a contract?

top of the league, chance of championship football, good manager. Agree it would be mutually beneficial for him to sign now. a show of commitment and confidence all round could do wonders. Besides if he fails here its just another on the list! Now hes arguably been a success so far but there is so much more to come. lets keep him here . Im sure he'l get more game time soon and when he shines again his stock will soar. Sign him NOW!!!!! 

We can only realistically slot him into two positions in our current set up, Freeman's & Wilbs's. He played the Freeman role at Cheltenham aided by having Pack & Smith behind him. I do think JET could do a job replacing Wilbs for 20 mins towards the end of a match, with Agard up on his own. But he is definitely a real asset against tiring defenders and against teams who are pushing up against us looking for an equaliser etc

Archived